We need help again... :-(

Old November 15th 03, 10:55 PM
jen.d

I'm surprised that you are encountering such a hard time finding a
place that will accept pets. As far as I am familiar with the US,
rentals that accept pets are extremely easy to come by unless you have
a large dog, although a lot of apartments will require a seperate pet
deposit.

In places without bylaws, it is very difficult. For example, in Toronto
there's a bylaw in place that negates any no-pet rules. Amazingly some
apartment buildings *still* say no pets, but the bylaw negates that. Says
something that they still try to put the rule in there though - there is a
very strong landlord tendency to disallow pets. It's business over
compassion.

Alberta has recently introduced a bylaw that allows those pet deposits,
which weren't in place before. They are hoping that this encourages
apartments to allow more pets with the deposit. It's still very difficult,
but not impossible, to find a spot. There are still many many apartments
that allow cats and dogs, but it is still a small percentage of what is
available. More below.

BC even has bylaws in place that make it *more* difficult to find an
apartment if you are a pet owner. This was introduced not long after I left
there I believe so I forget exactly what it was. But I remember that it was
in favor of apartment owners disallowing pets and made things harder for pet
owners to find a place to live. This was after *strong lobbying* to make a
bylaw negating "no pets" rules like Toronto. It was really a slap in the
face to those of us voicing our concerns to allow pets in rentals.

I'd say in Canada it is strongly "no pets". However, with creative searching
and finding lists of places it is never impossible to find an apartment
(just usually don't get your choice of place - have to "settle" a bit). Find
a list, make 1000 calls. The reason it IS possible is because rentals are
struggling to fill their apartments - so it IS still a renters market.
Vacancy is high across the country. That's why I still feel positive about
Alberta.

I was very angry and disgusted because my sister in law abandoned her cat
right after her search began, before even talking to us. Personally I find
"settling" the much better thing than abandoment of course. Before would
abandon, I'd bend the rules by finding a huge building and sneaking the pets
in. It's true that many landlords turn a blind eye if you are a good tenant
rather than evict, true in our first apt. with our cats. Just make sure you
find a big place you can blend in. Try every course of action before
rehoming, even if it means "bending the rules". And if that's out of the
question, then it's also possible to get recommendation letters, vet
letters, pet references, and so on to persuade a waffling landlord. Don't
give up on your babies without a real good fight.

Jen.

Old November 16th 03, 02:15 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"jen.d" wrote:

I'm surprised that you are encountering such a hard time finding a
place that will accept pets. As far as I am familiar with the US,
rentals that accept pets are extremely easy to come by unless you have
a large dog, although a lot of apartments will require a seperate pet
deposit.

In places without bylaws, it is very difficult. For example, in Toronto
there's a bylaw in place that negates any no-pet rules. Amazingly some
apartment buildings *still* say no pets, but the bylaw negates that. Says
something that they still try to put the rule in there though - there is a
very strong landlord tendency to disallow pets. It's business over
compassion.

Well, you might try some of the internet rental sites. It would cost
you a bit to register and get the actual addresses of places that
interested you, but IIRC, all the other info (area, rent, amenities,)
can be viewed without being officially registered - just no addresses or
contact information. It certainly worked for me - I live in a very
pet-friendly building, nearly everyone here has at least one dog or cat,
and I found it through an internet "rental agent". The way it works,
once you're registered, is that you get daily listings, indicate your
requirements, then print out the list of places that sound interesting,
and start phoning and/or visiting.
Old November 19th 03, 09:28 PM
polonca12000

We are thinking of you, sending best wishes and purrs for you to find
something suitable,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Lynn K." wrote in message
om...
snip I am off today and tomorrow and will be making some calls to see
what,
if anything, I can find.

Lynn, Brat and Linus

Old November 20th 03, 09:36 AM
jen.d

Lynn,

I just sent a listing I found that's shared, cheap, accepts pets. Let me
know if you don't get it (I sent it to the email address in your name).

Regards,
Jen.

Hi Napoleon,

Thanks for your kind words, but I live in Canada. Unfortunately, in
Alberta there are no by-laws governing pets, as in other provinces.
Landlords are still permitted to discriminate against allowing them. I
moved here from Ontario, where it was illegal to disallow pets, so now
I'm having a hard time. I am still looking, so hopefully something
will turn up soon.