Can cats get stomach viruses? What about allergies?

Old February 8th 04, 05:19 PM
Julia Bryce

Default Can cats get stomach viruses? What about allergies?

I am wondering if cats can get stomach viruses. I ask because we adopted a
new cat and he had diarrhea for a bit after he first came home (vet checked
him out, tested for parasites, etc., and he was ok otherwise). She surmised
it could be stress from the new environment. Then our kitten got it for a
few days. After a vet visit, including a fecal float (negative), he was
prescribed an antibiotic and a special food. He's getting over it. Now our
10 year old female cat has it, along with one vomiting incident (not a
hairball). There are no poisons or anything out that they could have all
three gotten into (at staggered times, no less?).

Can cats get stomach viruses? I will take my female to the vet Monday
depending upon what y'all say. She seems better today. We wondered if the
special food, Prescription Diet I/R, could have caused her upset. She's
used to regular Science Diet adult.

They are all eating, drinking and playing normally.

Also, our adopted cat has what seems to be a cold. He had conjuctivitus,
which he is still getting eye drops for (vet prescribed), but he sneezes
occasionally and his eyes are still watering. Neither of the other cats has
shown any symptoms, and they've all been together for over a month now.
Could it be a combo of the conjuctivitus (other cats don't have this,
either) and allergies? Or just the conjuctivitus?

All three cats are up to date on shots and tested negative for all things
they were supposed to : ).

Thanks for any help!

Old February 8th 04, 07:41 PM
William Hamblen

On 2004-02-08, Julia Bryce wrote:

I am wondering if cats can get stomach viruses.

Cats are heir to the same sorts of ailments the rest of the mammals,
including humans, get. That includes gastrointestinal viruses. We
used to call it "the scours" when our animals had diarrhea.

Old February 8th 04, 07:41 PM
William Hamblen

Old February 8th 04, 07:46 PM
GovtLawyer

I am wondering if cats can get stomach viruses. I ask because we adopted a
new cat and he had diarrhea for a bit after he first came home (vet checked
him out, tested for parasites, etc., and he was ok otherwise). She surmised
it could be stress from the new environment. Then our kitten got it for a
few days. After a vet visit, including a fecal float (negative), he was
prescribed an antibiotic and a special food. He's getting over it.

A very interesting and timely post, for me. Last week my one year old, Mickey,
started to develop diarrhea. I could tell it was him and not his sister
because it really stunk so I ran in to see which cat, and he was the one.
Although he had it, he seemed in pretty good spirits, otherwise, perhaps just
slightly listless, but still pretty much himself. So, I decided to watch him.
Over the next few days I caught him again with diarrhea a couple of times.
Then the other night, one of the cats threw up their dinner in the middle of
the night. I do not know which one.

Today, I looked at the litter box after he left, and it was normal. So, I
assume that whatever he had, was similar to a human virus, and like a human he
suffered for a few days and got better by himself. I was prepared to take him
to the vet if he didn't get better, and showed other symptoms, like lack of
appetitie, listlessness or loss of weight.

I was about ready to post the very same message you did, when I realized he was
better.