Cats & Hurricanes

Old September 2nd 05, 02:22 AM
Cat Protector

Actually there is something we can do to help feline victims. I typed up the
following as soon as I heard.

For those that are curious, Alley Cat Allies is taking donations to help the
feline victims of Hurricane Katrina. The Alley Cat Allies Compassion Fund
will be sending current donations to help small grass roots and small to
mid-sized feline rescues providing on-site hands-on care to the feline
victims of Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.alleycat.org/katrina.html#assist

The need will be massive from what their Web Site has posted. You can also
make payment by check to the following:

Alley Cat Allies - Attention Compassion Fund
7920 Norfolk Avenue, Suite 600
Bethesda, MD 20814-2525

Be sure to designate the Compassion Fund. Please make your check payable to
Alley Cat Allies.

For more about Alley Cat Allies Efforts please go to their Web Site
www.alleycat.org.

The link to them will also be posted on the Cat Galaxy Forum as well as the
Web Site.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"JQ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I totally agree what is wrong with those people! To forget your pet is
like forgetting your own child!! If you don't consider your pets family
members you don't deserve to have them!!! Pets are not just cuddle
toys, they have feelings, and they are a LIFE!
I'd like to ask those people if they would leave behind their baby to
fend for themselves. Selfish selfish people!! I feel so bad for the
animals now that rescue efforts seemed to practically seize now. Still
so many people to rescue and no one seems to care about the animals.
Atleast the people can get water and food sometimes from rescue
trailers. What about the stranded dogs and cats. ANIMALS CAN'T LINE UP
AND ASK FOR FOOD OR WATER!
If only there was something we could do!!!
JQ

Old September 2nd 05, 04:40 PM
Barb from before

I saw a woman on TV sitting outside the big Astrodome with her cat. Wish I
could have plucked them out. Also, a man with his two dogs sitting on a
rooftop with a few other people including a tourist from Ireland. They were
terrified that they would be shot by the marauding gangs with AK 47s below.
Imagine the impression of us this tourist is forming. The man was
heartbroken because he and his dogs had to swim to safety since boats
wouldn't pick them up. He blamed himself for doing this to them by not
evacuating sooner.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old September 3rd 05, 01:32 AM
Cat Protector

The following items are needed heavily according to Alley Cat Allies to help
the cats in areas affected by the huricane. The most needed items are listed
below.
a.. Pet food*
b.. Cat litter*
c.. Litter Boxes
d.. Bowls
e.. Large carriers
f.. Litter scoopers
g.. Clean sheets and towels
New items also needed:

a.. Fans and extension cords
b.. Large trash cans
c.. Can openers
d.. Cotton balls
e.. Waterless hand sanitizer
f.. Baby wipes
g.. Rubbing alcohol
h.. Empty spray bottles
i.. Trash bags
j.. Disposable paper bowls
* Food and litter are needed immediately, but they expect to get larger
shipments of food and litter donated within a week, so if you are sending
items from a distance, please select other items on the list.

To check on current needs, call 225-578-9900 or e-mail Cathy at:

Items can be sent or delivered to:

Disaster Relief-Companion Animal
Louisiana State University
School of Veterinary Medicine
Attn: Dr. Rebecca Adcock
Skip Bertman Drive at River Road
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Phone: 225-578-9900

A link to donate money to the relief efforts is on Cat Galaxy's Feline
Friendlies Page. Though it is said many cats most likely drowned according
to ACA many also survived and need to be rescued now as need food and water
and possibly medical attention. We are awaiting word of other needs but this
is the latest info from Alley Cats.

Old September 5th 05, 03:32 AM
Cat Protector

Here is another update regarding the rescue of cats and other animals
affected by Hurricane Katrina.

Besides the team that the Arizona Humane Society sent to Baton Rouge another
is on the way. 3 members of the EAMT (Emergency Animal Medical Transport)
team and a veterinarian are also on their way to Louisiana and will be
allowed into New Orleans by Monday to help search for, rescue and treat any
injured or displaced animal that they find. The EAMT's specialize in
technical rescue which makes them a unique asset to help the animals in
search & rescue type situations. The animal rescue team will be escorted by
armed personnel for safety reasons.

If you are looking to ways to donate to help the animal rescue efforts there
are ways. One is to donate to donate to Alley Cat Allies Relief Fund which
will then send them on to the small to midsized groups already providing
on-site, hands on care to feline victims of Hurrican Katrina. Click on
http://www.alleycat.org/katrina.html#assist for more details on how to
assist the feline victims.

The Arizona Humane Society is also accepting donations for their relief
efforts by clicking the donate button on their Web Site at www.azhumane.org.
Make sure when filling out the donation form that you specify that your
donation go to the AHS Rescue & Relief Fund.

You can also make a donation through the Humane Society Of The United States
at http://www.hsus.org and click the donate button.

We have contacted Cafepress about our wanting to donate part of the proceeds
of t-shirts and other items from our Cat Galaxy store to help out the feline
relief efforts and hope to hear a decision this week so we can make an
announcement on that this week. Meow!