Cats and bread

Old September 4th 05, 09:16 PM
Kitkat

Default Cats and bread

Diane wrote:
Apparently cats don't have a conventional sweet tooth (although I've
seen cats that definitely like sweets), but I've noticed many cats seem
to have a weakness for bread. When my friend brought me Irish soda bread
and I didn't put it away right away, Hodge ate half the loaf. To this
day, if he can smell rolls or bread in a cupboard, he will circle it,
trying to figure out how to get to it.

Luna is a breadhead.

Old September 4th 05, 09:49 PM
Marilyn

"Kitkat" wrote in message
Diane wrote:
Apparently cats don't have a conventional sweet tooth (although I've
seen cats that definitely like sweets), but I've noticed many cats seem
to have a weakness for bread. When my friend brought me Irish soda bread
and I didn't put it away right away, Hodge ate half the loaf. To this
day, if he can smell rolls or bread in a cupboard, he will circle it,
trying to figure out how to get to it.

Luna is a breadhead.

My cats Spacey and Foo Dawg (!) love popcorn. Of course I pick out the
hard kernals and give them just the fluffy part. I was thinking the other
day that
there is probably not a person on earth who would do that for me.

Old September 4th 05, 09:55 PM
Trish

"Marilyn" wrote in message
news:1125866950.c3b1c10a59494975f517c100b5e4a79f@t eranews...

"Kitkat" wrote in message
Diane wrote:
Apparently cats don't have a conventional sweet tooth (although

I've
seen cats that definitely like sweets), but I've noticed many cats

seem
to have a weakness for bread. When my friend brought me Irish soda

bread
and I didn't put it away right away, Hodge ate half the loaf. To

this
day, if he can smell rolls or bread in a cupboard, he will circle

it,
trying to figure out how to get to it.

Luna is a breadhead.

My cats Spacey and Foo Dawg (!) love popcorn. Of course I pick out the
hard kernals and give them just the fluffy part. I was thinking the

other
day that
there is probably not a person on earth who would do that for me.

lol
Sookey Boo does as well, I have a photo of him eating away on a big bowl
of popcorn, it's so cute! I don't pick the kernels out though, every
popcorn eater for himself around here, he just spits out the kernels.

Old September 4th 05, 10:30 PM
Marilyn

"Trish" wrote

Sookey Boo does as well, I have a photo of him eating away on a big bowl

of popcorn, it's so cute! I don't pick the kernels out though, every
popcorn eater for himself around here, he just spits out the kernels.

Well I thought the kernels were bad for them! Damn, do I
feel silly. Now, on another topic, you were gracious enough to explain
how Maggot got his name, how did Sookey Boo get his?

Old September 4th 05, 10:51 PM
Trish

"Marilyn" wrote in message
news:1125869427.26608d20d3396e10b5fc3ce584d3646b@t eranews...

"Trish" wrote

Sookey Boo does as well, I have a photo of him eating away on a big

bowl
of popcorn, it's so cute! I don't pick the kernels out though, every
popcorn eater for himself around here, he just spits out the kernels.

Well I thought the kernels were bad for them! Damn, do I
feel silly. Now, on another topic, you were gracious enough to

explain
how Maggot got his name, how did Sookey Boo get his?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww I love talking about Sookey-Boo.

Well, he was rescued from an abusive family and had all the
psychological scars one would expect, shying away, running when a voice
was loud, jumping when a person's hand moved too fast. He was only 3
years old then. I don't even think the owners had named him. So, my
friend offered to take him from his owners, actually she paid them for
him. And he came to live with us, after a few months he asserted his
dominance rather quickly and we gave him all the room he needed to
explore himself and be his own little cat.

He came to trust us rather quickly and it wasn't long before he became a
cling-on. Granted a very dominant cling-on. Even as I type this he is
stretched across my lap giving the dog the ole evil eye, with a bit of a
nahnahnahnah tossed in there. We named him Sook as he always wanted to
be around us and had this way of kissing up when we were mad at him for
beating up on the other cats. Eventually, he became the cuddliest cat I
know so his name grew to Sookey-Boo, as that was cuter to whisper
whenever he was getting belly zerbertz.

He's definitely a boss cat and all the other's know it, he gives them
one look and they stop what they are doing and pay attention and if we
are petting another we have to stop and pet him.

A funny story is that when we get home from work, he has to be petted
first or else when we're not looking he will beat up on the others who
were petted before him.

I remember he had his leg broken and was wearing a cast, I was out
shopping and we had a guest staying with us, well Sookey-Boo didn't
think much of this guest and had no problems letting him know. I came
home at about 5 pm and as soon as I entered the house I hear the guest
shouting with panic "Trish, please come here, the cat has me trapped".
LOL I go up and Sookey-Boo is having a stand-off on the stairwell,
everytime the guest tried to pass him Sookey-Boo would lift the cast and
strike him with it. LOL I'm like " what the hell is wrong with you, its
a sweet cat with a broken leg and you're afraid" So the guest wouldn't
come down the stairs til I had Sookey-Boo securely wrapped in my arms.
LOL I'm dying with laughter thinking on this now. Sookey-Boo got extra
treats that night!

He loves resting on my Shoulder and cuddling his head under my chin, we
are both happiest then

Old September 4th 05, 11:39 PM
Marilyn

"Trish" wrote in message

"Marilyn" wrote in message
news:1125869427.26608d20d3396e10b5fc3ce584d3646b@t eranews...

"Trish" wrote

Sookey Boo does as well, I have a photo of him eating away on a big

bowl
of popcorn, it's so cute! I don't pick the kernels out though, every
popcorn eater for himself around here, he just spits out the kernels.

Well I thought the kernels were bad for them! Damn, do I
feel silly. Now, on another topic, you were gracious enough to

explain
how Maggot got his name, how did Sookey Boo get his?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww I love talking about Sookey-Boo.

Well, he was rescued from an abusive family and had all the
psychological scars one would expect, shying away, running when a voice
was loud, jumping when a person's hand moved too fast. He was only 3
years old then. I don't even think the owners had named him.

Poor baby.

So, my
friend offered to take him from his owners, actually she paid them for
him. And he came to live with us, after a few months he asserted his
dominance rather quickly and we gave him all the room he needed to
explore himself and be his own little cat.

It's great that he could regain his confidence so quickly. You must have
worked hard to make him feel safe.

He came to trust us rather quickly and it wasn't long before he became a
cling-on. Granted a very dominant cling-on. Even as I type this he is
stretched across my lap giving the dog the ole evil eye, with a bit of a
nahnahnahnah tossed in there.

Hee!

We named him Sook as he always wanted to
be around us and had this way of kissing up when we were mad at him for
beating up on the other cats. Eventually, he became the cuddliest cat I
know so his name grew to Sookey-Boo, as that was cuter to whisper
whenever he was getting belly zerbertz.

Zerbertz, you say? lol! What are zerbertz?

He's definitely a boss cat and all the other's know it, he gives them
one look and they stop what they are doing and pay attention and if we
are petting another we have to stop and pet him.

A funny story is that when we get home from work, he has to be petted
first or else when we're not looking he will beat up on the others who
were petted before him.

Oh, man, Sookie-Boo is a little bully!

I remember he had his leg broken and was wearing a cast, I was out
shopping and we had a guest staying with us, well Sookey-Boo didn't
think much of this guest and had no problems letting him know. I came
home at about 5 pm and as soon as I entered the house I hear the guest
shouting with panic "Trish, please come here, the cat has me trapped".
LOL I go up and Sookey-Boo is having a stand-off on the stairwell,
everytime the guest tried to pass him Sookey-Boo would lift the cast and
strike him with it. LOL I'm like " what the hell is wrong with you, its
a sweet cat with a broken leg and you're afraid" So the guest wouldn't
come down the stairs til I had Sookey-Boo securely wrapped in my arms.
LOL I'm dying with laughter thinking on this now. Sookey-Boo got extra
treats that night!

Now this is Kitty Chutzpah. "Come one step closer and I will beat
you with my cast!"

He loves resting on my Shoulder and cuddling his head under my chin, we
are both happiest then

We need pics. Do not tell me that you don't have a kitty photo page.

Old September 5th 05, 12:28 AM
Trish

"Marilyn" wrote in message
news:1125873582.c6c649779ed4ed64786200a98d28410a@t eranews...

So, my
friend offered to take him from his owners, actually she paid them

for
him. And he came to live with us, after a few months he asserted his
dominance rather quickly and we gave him all the room he needed to
explore himself and be his own little cat.

It's great that he could regain his confidence so quickly. You must

have
worked hard to make him feel safe.

lol I'm smiling my head off, god I'm a sucker for this cat, he so owns
me! We worked very hard with him, taking every opportunity to hugs him,
stroke him lightly, rub against him even so lightly, making a big deal
out of his feeding times, and if he retaliated to our touches (lol I
made sure I had a tetanus shot before going full force with him) we
tried very hard not to flinch and pull away, instead we stroked his neck
with our free hand and he'd eventually release. It was painful but not
nearly as painful as watching how afraid he was.

We named him Sook as he always wanted to
be around us and had this way of kissing up when we were mad at him

for
beating up on the other cats. Eventually, he became the cuddliest

cat I
know so his name grew to Sookey-Boo, as that was cuter to whisper
whenever he was getting belly zerbertz.

Zerbertz, you say? lol! What are zerbertz?

lol its when you put your face on a belly and blow air, it makes a big
zerbertz sound lol

Now this is Kitty Chutzpah. "Come one step closer and I will beat
you with my cast!"

lol yes, kung fu kitty

He loves resting on my Shoulder and cuddling his head under my chin,

we
are both happiest then

We need pics. Do not tell me that you don't have a kitty photo page.

I don't, I had some on a cat page but I was spammed to death, perhaps I
set up a photo album

He's a black and brown tabbie with 4 white socks and a white chest
sheild, my little tuxedo cat

Old September 5th 05, 12:30 AM
Paul M. Cook

"Diane" wrote in message
Apparently cats don't have a conventional sweet tooth (although I've
seen cats that definitely like sweets), but I've noticed many cats seem
to have a weakness for bread. When my friend brought me Irish soda bread
and I didn't put it away right away, Hodge ate half the loaf. To this
day, if he can smell rolls or bread in a cupboard, he will circle it,
trying to figure out how to get to it.

My cat Buddy loves bread. He also loves tortilla chips which are kind of
like bread I suppose. You have to watch him eat a corn chip. He'll hold it
down with one paw and snap off a piece then you can hear a satisfying
munching sound then he goes back for another bite. All he needs is a little
kitty-sized beer to go with it.

Paul

Old September 5th 05, 03:59 PM
CaptCook

Diane wrote: .... I've noticed many cats seem
to have a weakness for bread.

I have a rescued cat for 2 weeks. This morning I noticed that she was
eating my oatmeal. But will not touch popcorn.