Garlic as flea repellant? (or, "o/~Smelly cat, smelly cat.... o/~ )

Old December 4th 03, 11:30 AM
Jeannie

I used to feed garlic to my dog in an attempt to keep fleas away. I'm not
sure about the fleas but it certainly seemed to keep ticks from hanging on
for days. She stank ALL THE TIME though and in the end I stopped giving it
her because the house started to smell like a pizzaria!

Jeannie

"Dennis Carr" wrote in message
news
Sorry, couldn't resist.

While at the vet last night with a handful (!) of ten week old kittens,
one thing we discussed was the idea of using more natural means of
treating the kids' more common maladies - and amongst these, there was one
I heard about a while ago about feeding cats garlic. (The one about mites
and peanut oil came up to, but the viability of that strikes me as
questionable.)

Now, granted that if you or I eat garlic frequently, it'll keep
*everybody* away, but what about fleas on cats? Has anyone ever done any
testing on this as to how effective it is?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 14th 03, 10:23 AM
MissShell

No, No, No... DDO NOT EVER GIVE GARLIC TO CATS! VERY TOXIC!
I work at a 24 hour veterinary emergency hospital & have seen several cats die from hemolytic anemia caused by the ingestion of garlic or onions... the following are excerpts from veterinary texts:

"The use of garlic, as well as onions, shallots, and chives, has been shown to cause damage to feline red blood cells which can result in hemolytic anemia and eventual death. Raw garlic and onions can also cause ulcers and irritation of the mouth, esophagus and stomach."

"The use of garlic and other members of the Lily family such as onions, shallots, and chives in the cat's diet is not advised. Ingestion of these plants in a raw, cooked, or dried form can lead to damage of the red blood cells, which are rejected by the body from the bloodstream, and a continued use of garlic or onions can eventually result in hemolytic anemia. If the anemia is not controlled by discontinuing the use of the plants, it can potentially lead to death. Less significant but important is that raw garlic and onions irritate the mouth, esophagus, and stomach and can cause or exacerbate ulcers."

Old December 15th 03, 12:20 AM
John Kimmel

You forgot to mention that human baby food (which many cat owners feed
to their cats) frequently contains onion powder.