I Have To Ask This...

Old December 18th 03, 07:33 AM
Luvskats00

Default I Have To Ask This...

After my cat deficates he drags his rump across the floor. I'm so tempted to
hand him toilet paper. I am running after him with Mr. Clean. Anyone else have
a cat that does this?
Old December 18th 03, 10:58 AM
MaryL

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
After my cat deficates he drags his rump across the floor. I'm so tempted

hand him toilet paper. I am running after him with Mr. Clean. Anyone else

have
a cat that does this?

This is typical of a cat with impacted anal sacs. See a vet for
confirmation. The vet could also show you how to express them in the future
(if this is the problem), but it can be very unpleasant -- I would always
opt for a visit to the vet.

MaryL

Old December 18th 03, 12:14 PM
Wendy

Don't they also do that if they have worms? Not to say that this cat does
but it might be worth checking out.

Old December 18th 03, 12:51 PM
MaryL

"Wendy" wrote in message
Don't they also do that if they have worms? Not to say that this cat does
but it might be worth checking out.

Yes, I think they do. My first thought with that behavior is anal sacs --
either way, it should be checked.

MaryL

Old December 18th 03, 03:15 PM
kaeli

In article , carstan101
@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER enlightened us with...

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
After my cat deficates he drags his rump across the floor. I'm so tempted

hand him toilet paper. I am running after him with Mr. Clean. Anyone else

have
a cat that does this?

This is typical of a cat with impacted anal sacs. See a vet for
confirmation. The vet could also show you how to express them in the future
(if this is the problem), but it can be very unpleasant -- I would always
opt for a visit to the vet.

That or worms.
Rowan does this when her anal glands need expressed.
A vet visit will confirm or deny the cause. If the glands get impacted,
a vet has to take care of it. The vet can also give meds for worms, if
necessary. Bring a stool sample.

Oh, just having loose stool might also cause this, but not consistently.
Diarrhea irritates the anus and makes it itch. Chronic loose stool
should also be checked out by a vet, as it can indicate any of a number
of health problems.

~kaeli~
Persons disagreeing with facts are always emotional and
employ faulty reasoning.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace