Need Help Giving Medicine

Old March 10th 05, 02:34 AM
CatNipped

Default Need Help Giving Medicine

Bandit *HATES* the Clavamix. She fights it so badly I'm afraid of hurting
her when we try to force it down her. I have no trouble pilling a cat, but
I have never had to give medicine in a dropper before. Bandit jerks her
head right when you start to squeeze the dropper - then she drools what
little medicine gets in her mouth. DH, Bandit and I all end up wearing more
Clavimix than when gets down her throat.

Any suggestions?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old March 10th 05, 02:46 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:34:28p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Bandit *HATES* the Clavamix. She fights it so badly I'm afraid
of hurting her when we try to force it down her. I have no
trouble pilling a cat, but I have never had to give medicine in
a dropper before. Bandit jerks her head right when you start to
squeeze the dropper - then she drools what little medicine gets
in her mouth. DH, Bandit and I all end up wearing more Clavimix
than when gets down her throat.

Any suggestions?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I'd suggest the pill form, but I've never had a cat yet that could
tolarate the pill form of clavamox. Tough on the tummy. I'm not
talking diarrhea, but vomiting.

If she'll take baby food, I'd try mixing the dose into a big
spoonful of baby food and spoonfeed it to her in tiny amounts. Let
her lick it off the spoon.

I know it's important not to waste doses, so if that doesn't work
you need Plan B soon. Good luck!

--
Cheryl
Old March 10th 05, 02:47 AM
Lorna

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Bandit *HATES* the Clavamix. She fights it so badly I'm afraid of hurting
her when we try to force it down her. I have no trouble pilling a cat,
but
I have never had to give medicine in a dropper before. Bandit jerks her
head right when you start to squeeze the dropper - then she drools what
little medicine gets in her mouth. DH, Bandit and I all end up wearing
more
Clavimix than when gets down her throat.

Any suggestions?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Wish I had some positive advice for you but had to give my Chessie Clavamix
in pill form a year ago and the experience was just horrible. Didn't taste
them myself but believe they are very bitter - Chessie would drool, foam at
the mouth, spit, and fight like a tiger - if I ever had to use this medicine
again, would ask the vet.....well, I don't know what exactly - it should
come coated in pill form so the poor kitties could get it down.
Wishing Bandit, CatNipped & DH the very best with special purrs for
Bandit........Lorna & the Chesniks

Old March 10th 05, 02:52 AM
Lorna

"Karen" wrote in message
in article , CatNipped at
wrote on 3/9/05 8:34 PM:

Bandit *HATES* the Clavamix. She fights it so badly I'm afraid of
hurting
her when we try to force it down her. I have no trouble pilling a cat,
but
I have never had to give medicine in a dropper before. Bandit jerks her
head right when you start to squeeze the dropper - then she drools what
little medicine gets in her mouth. DH, Bandit and I all end up wearing
more
Clavimix than when gets down her throat.

Any suggestions?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

I have always had success wrapping in a towel first with only head
showing.
When squirting in mouth, go in from the side toward back of mouth. HTH.

Karen's message reminded me that with the Clavamix pill, the vet said to get
her mouth open wide and get the pill as far back as possible so hopefully
she would swallow before the dreadful taste overwhelmed her....Lorna

Old March 10th 05, 03:02 AM
Dan M

CatNipped wrote:

Bandit *HATES* the Clavamix. She fights it so badly I'm afraid of hurting
her when we try to force it down her. I have no trouble pilling a cat, but
I have never had to give medicine in a dropper before. Bandit jerks her
head right when you start to squeeze the dropper - then she drools what
little medicine gets in her mouth. DH, Bandit and I all end up wearing more
Clavimix than when gets down her throat.

Any suggestions?

Does Bandit like yogurt? You might be able to get away with mixing the
clavamox with yogurt.

Old March 10th 05, 03:11 AM
Mischief

hehehehehe, I know what it's like to give a cat Clavamox, especially a
cat that does NOT want it. I think I mention in a previous Vet tech
Journals how it took me and three other tech to medicate this cat.

Best thing I can suggest is scruff her with one hand, and have the
dropper in the other. Use the arm that is scruffing her and use your
forearm to lay against her spine. In a sense, she's lying in lateral
recumbency, and your forearm is also on the floor/table or whatever
surface. The forearm will help keep her from struggling, and make sure
you really tilt her head back; This should help keep her from jerking
her head too much. Have your DH also hold the back legs because those
can get you too.

Now she's going to REALLY fuss, so watch out for those front paws.
Gently work the dropper into the corner of her mouth and squirt a
LITTLE bit of it in, behind her tongue if you can. Then back off with
the dropper and let her smack/growl/swallow, whatever, for a few
seconds. Then keep repeating little by little until you're done.

Just how much to give is your call. I do know if you try to squirt it
all in on one try, she'll spit out most of it. two or three doses
should be okay.

It's REALLY IMPORTANT to have your forearm level with the body on the
table and right up against her spine, and her head tilted back. If you
cannot hold her and dose her at the same time, get a third person.
Bandit sounds like the kind of cat that would take at least two people
to hold.

That's the best advice I can give, because that is what me and my
classmates or coworkers would probably do. When we're learning to do
this, a lot of students are afraid of holding the cat too tightly or
hurting the cat. I'm afraid that in a situation like this, you can't
afford let up. If I were holding Bandit, I would take her and hang on
for dear life. If she's going to be such a brat, then you're going to
have to play rough too.

Hope this helps. Be careful!!

Kristi

Old March 10th 05, 03:30 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 10:11:07p, Mischief wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
roups.com):

Just how much to give is your call. I do know if you try to
squirt it all in on one try, she'll spit out most of it. two or
three doses should be okay.

Exactly. If you have to give a liquid med, don't try to squirt it all
in one shot. Squeeze a little tiny bit in first, then let kitty
swallow, then a little more, repeat until it is all in. And give
kitty love and pets and gentle words during, and a treat afterwards,
if it fits with the dietary needs/requirements/allowed-foods.

--
Cheryl
Old March 10th 05, 04:24 AM
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Bandit *HATES* the Clavamix. She fights it so badly I'm afraid of hurting
her when we try to force it down her. I have no trouble pilling a cat,
but
I have never had to give medicine in a dropper before. Bandit jerks her
head right when you start to squeeze the dropper - then she drools what
little medicine gets in her mouth. DH, Bandit and I all end up wearing
more
Clavimix than when gets down her throat.

Any suggestions?

At least what she ends up wearing she ends up licking off eventually right?

No suggestions. I always have trouble giving cats liquid meds.

Jo

Old March 10th 05, 04:44 AM
Stormin Mormon

Drip it into her fur near where her tail connects. She'll lick it all down.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus