Cross Posting OT - The dangers of cooking

Old July 17th 05, 02:33 AM
Mary

Default Cross Posting OT - The dangers of cooking

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

"rich" wrote in message
Trish wrote:
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell Jill, but she supposedly has you
killfiled

Let me explain since you seem to lack the ability to reason it out for
yourself. Jill probably does have her kill-filed as she said she does.
Considering that Jill replied to Edwin's post and not Mary's seems to
indicate that M is really kill-filed as she said. Jill saw Mary's post
because the full post by Mary was included in Edwin's post.

Yup, I also read Ed's reply on rec.food.cooking where everyone so far
except
for him is snipping the rpca cross posting. Apparently I know a bit

more
about how newsgroups and killfiles work than Trish does. Trish is also
in
my killfile. Hell, my killfile runneth over and this hasn't happened in
LONG time. Why doesn't everyone go back to their individual sandboxes?

Because their masters are telling them the sandboxes need to be changed?

Old July 17th 05, 02:36 AM
Mary

"mlbriggs" wrote:

Further information: Pressure Cookers cook under pressure -- steam. They
are metal and have a locking lid. If they are faulty, or not properly
locked they can be hazardous. Years ago, I bought a pressure cooker and
did use it a few times, but decided it wasn't worth the bother for the
kind of cooking I did.

A Crock Pot is a slow cooker. It has a ceramic pot to be inserted in a
metal casing with a glass lid. Great to use for stews. It has a switch
for fast or slow. If directions are followed carefully, it can be a help
for a busy person.

Now see, these days they call these things slow cookers. Now I get it.
I use them for very lean cuts of beef and pork that are better braised.
If you brown well first, the meat turns out fabulous.

But tell me this: does a pressure cooker cook faster than regular
cooking? Such as simmering, braising, w/o pressure?

Old July 17th 05, 03:19 AM
whitershadeofpale

Mary wrote:
"mlbriggs" wrote:

[...]

A pressure cooker will cook meat faster.

It would be good for something like, a beef brisket, potatoes, and
cabbage.

Seems like a beefy cut would probably get rubbery, as well as loose
flavor.

I like med-temp broiing, where you can actually make a good rue
afterwards.

Old July 17th 05, 03:42 AM
Mary

"whitershadeofpale" wrote

But tell me this: does a pressure cooker cook faster than regular
cooking? Such as simmering, braising, w/o pressure?

A pressure cooker will cook meat faster.

It would be good for something like, a beef brisket, potatoes, and
cabbage.

Seems like a beefy cut would probably get rubbery, as well as loose
flavor.

What do you mean by "beefy," do you mean "lean?" If so that makes
sense to me.

I like to get really lean cuts like london broil and brown the hell out
of them on top of the stove or in the broiler, then slow cook in the
crock pot, adding vegetables in the last hour. Works great for
pork, too.

I like med-temp broiing, where you can actually make a good rue
afterwards.

You mean gravy, right? You can do that with the slow-cooker
juices too.

So you are saying, I think, that I am not going to get as tender
meat using a pressure cooker as I am using a slow cooker,
at least with lean cuts of beef or pork?

Old July 17th 05, 06:00 AM
whitershadeofpale

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1121568181.371ee80183a165791baf4abab9518f78@t eranews...

"whitershadeofpale" wrote

[...]

Thaaat's right. A pressure cooker is just a speed boiler at best.
Boiled Meat! shiver, unless it's brisket, I could see that.
Or some country style ribs.

Slow cooker is the way to go. It's low maintenance, and it does not
muddle the layers. Potatoes on top, lol.

Your beefy cut London Broil probably leaves a good stain in the pan
this is good, it's so quick to throw a little liquid on it, and make a
gravy.

London Broil, Gravy

1 1/2 lbs. London broil or flank steak
(about 1 1/2 inches thick)
7 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup sliced onion
6 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp prepared white horseradish
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
14 oz. beef broth

Heat butter in a large black skillet. Add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and
horseradish. Sautee this under medium heat until onions and mushrooms look
soft. Stir in the rosemary, mustard, vinegar, and the broth. Bring it to a
boil and cook it until it is reduced (slightly thickened) oh, about 15
minutes. Broil the meat 4 inches from the heat source (7 minutes per side)
let the meat cool for about 5 mins, then slice it thin (diagonally across
the grain) stir the gravy, yule see some seperation of liquieds. Put the
sliced meat on a warm platter, and pour the gravy on, and enjoy!
It is...to die for!