Expectations about weight OT

Old May 9th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Rude Comments about Weight - Was: Expectations about weight OT

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Christine K. wrote:
Well, I've had a total stranger comment on my buying cookies with
something like "you don't really need those". No, Marina, it wasn't a
Finn but, by the sound of it, an American. This was some 5 years ago
and I still remember it, I was so astonished. He wasn't skinny
himself either, so I don't think he really was in the position of
making such a comment. Besides, not that I remember anymore, but we
could have had guests coming over and the cookies could have been
for them.

People around here don't seem to make such comments to strangers - or,
more likely, they do it behind the strangers' backs. That, I can live
with!

The most common - in fact, I think the only - comment I get in the
grocery store is 'So, I see you have cats' or something similar. I
have to confess to doing the same thing when someone next to me in
line has a pile of catfood and a bag of litter, although I do try to
mind my own business!

I will also confess to sometimes looking in other people's grocery
baskets and wondering what on earth they are going to do with the
peculiar assortment of goods, but I don't actually say anything out
loud!

All I ever seem to notice about other people's shopping is how much
processed crap and junk food they have. Gawd, it's about *health*
people! Of course I never say a thing, but it's really no wonder there
are so many health problems out there considering all the nitrates, etc,
people are consuming. Nobody seems to actually cook from scratch
anymore. I guess people are too busy working but still, they'll pay for
that later on.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old May 9th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-08, Cheryl Perkins penned:

People around here don't seem to make such comments to strangers -
or, more likely, they do it behind the strangers' backs. That, I can
live with!

Sorta. My mom tends to think that if she says something in German,
no one will know. Unfortunately for her, German isn't exactly an
uncommon language. And it's not like I particularly want to hear her
saying, "If I ever get as fat as *her*, shoot me!" in any language.
Especially when the person in question actually did understand.

OMG, my mom has done that exact thing! And the woman did understand and
also replied in German. My mom was totally embarressed, hee hee! But
she learned her lesson and now doesn't comment loudly in German anymore.

Old May 9th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote...
On 2006-05-08, Tish Silberbauer penned:
and the eternal "are you sure ...?" whenever you go to eat
*anything* at all. (of course I'm bloody sure)

Mostly, though, it's non-verbal "comments" that give me the irrits.
I don't think people have *any* idea how much they communicate with
body-language.

*Goes to get another helping*
*sharp indrawn breath from other person*
"What?"
"Geez, I didn't say anything! Stop being so sensitive!"

monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

This reminds me of the time I was at my ex's for Christmas dinner. My sister
and her husband were there too, there were about 20 people at the table.
Everyone at the table was asked if they wanted a second helping - except me!
Jeez, how rude!

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old May 9th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Christine K. wrote:
[...]

Amen to that. I can't help noticing the super-processed convenience
foods people buy. I know it's none of my bizwax, but I just despair
when I see somebody buying all that crap and paying for it with Access
card (food stamps). You can make your money go so much further at the
grocery story if you try. And eat healthier too. I've been poor before.
I know how to pinch a penny at the grocery store, and I know how to buy
only the staples and cook from scratch. (I didn't say I *like* to do
it, but I know how!)

Sherry

Old May 9th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon, 8 May 2006 18:51:16 +1000, "Flippy"
wrote:

Speaking about weight, I've never had so many rude comments as when I
recently gained weight (due to medical reasons.) Some of the comments:

OMG, you're so fat!
(Really, I hadn't noticed...)

Why are you so fat?
(Why are you so rude?)

You should lose weight.
(You should grow a brain...)

I liked you better when you were slim.
(Well, I never liked you at all...)

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

Any others?

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

makes me think of my most recent "insult". My doctor who we just
started seeing thislast month decided after a recent spat with
Brochitis that I MUST have a physical immediately.

I went in the following week and was poked (not the most pleasent of
experiences) and prodded (again not the most present of experiences)
and the the blood samples.

Determined to find something wrong he even hooked me to an EKG and
took my BP 2x.

With a stunned look on his face he said "There is absoultely nothing
wrong with you, you are perfectly health, and your serum clorestorol
is 158. The only thing wrong with you is your weight."

I felt a very subtle but distinctive insult there.

John
Old May 9th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Expectations about weight OT

W. Leong wrote:

Same here. I lost weight when I am depressed.
I joked that I even weigh less than some of the large dogs I saw at the
vet's.
I lost weight when I cut back on my sugar intake. My
doctor warned me of becoming diabetic as I have a family history.
I have a sweet tooth, but I manage to cut back..
These days I try to go for a walk before or after I indulge in something
sweet.
I am down to a size 2 petite. I am 5' 3" and barely make it to 100 lb
My doctor is not concerned about my weight though.

Winnie

You're exactly the same size as me. One advantage is I can always find
my size on a sale rack, same with shoes. My GP rags on me about weight
sometimes but the cardiologist never does.
I have a terrible self image. It isn't just overweight people who have
a bad self image. I think we all do. Sometimes I get really depressed
and think I look like a crack whore.

Sherry
Sherry

Old May 9th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

I'm going through the process you're about to start (and from roughly
the same starting point) and so far I've lost about 15kg without any
extraordinary effort. I know I have a long way to go, but making some
progress is such a nice feeling. I've been following the guidelines
of a low GI diet (with varying degrees of strictness), which works for
me. I started exercising by walking a short distance and then
gradually increasing it. I began with finding it hard to walk 20
minutes at a good pace and now, 18 months later, am walking 2-3 hours
at a time (although not every day!). I also am getting out and
working in the garden more often, which is great upper-body and
stretching exercise. I find it difficult to stick to a gym routine,
so a more informal regime of getting out of doors works for me.

Tish

Unfortunately for me, beans give me an upset stomach, and aside from
string beans, I've never been able to stand the things. There's
something about the texture of legumes that I find absolutely awful,
and I can't quite describe what my aversion is. A friend of mine
served chili one night although she knew "I don't do beans" and after
that meal, she was convinced. I'd fished out every bean in my bowl and
laid it to rest on my plate, but ate the rest of the chili quite
willingly. =o) I do like hummus, seeing that the essential "bean-ness"
has been whipped into something tasty and smooth and not actually
recognizable as beans, as such.

I've been doing belly dancing for fitness since January, and I'm
noticing my clothes fit me a lot better. because bellly-dancing
involves the hips so much, it's been REALLY great for reducing bulge
between my waist and my knees. It's also helped my shoulders and upper
arms, as it involves a lot of work with the arms and shoulders. I
exercise because I must, basically, but find it a necessary evil.
However belly dancing is a fairly pleasant form of it, and now that I'm
seeing real results, it's very encouraging.

I just wish I could get rid of my sweet tooth!

Melissa

Old May 9th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

[...]

involves the hips so much, it's been REALLY great for reducing bulk
between my waist and my knees. It's also helped my shoulders and upper
arms, as it involves a lot of work with the arms and shoulders. I
exercise because I must, basically, and while I like the results, I'm
still not crazy about exercise for its own sake. However belly dancing

Old May 9th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-07, Christine K. penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Christine,

One thing I've found is that my eating isn't really about eating.
It's really psychological. I don't know enough about you to
venture anything, but it might be interesting to try to figure out
if there's such an aspect to how you eat.

I *know* that a lot of my eating is psychological, and even partly
child-like too (he got more than I did, boo hoo). I eat when I'm
happy, when I'm sad, when I celebrate etc.

That describes my eating habits perfectly, too!

I need to learn to consciously react on the wrong kind of eating, or
eating for the wrong reasons, but that may be a bit tricky as the
impulse to eat comes from the sub-conscious.

I think it's very important to do so without punishment, without
telling yourself you're a bad person for wanting these things.

I think one reason I do so poorly with diets and such is that, deep
down, I'm pretty sure that when I straighten out my head, the food
just won't be an issue anymore. But maybe that's just another excuse.

In any case, if I have to keep avoiding all the interesting food in
order to keep my stomach from clenching, perhaps I'll lose an awful
lot of weight. Maybe my body's trying to do me a favor =P

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 9th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-09, Shiral penned:

I've been doing belly dancing for fitness since January, and I'm
noticing my clothes fit me a lot better. Because bellly-dancing
involves the hips so much, it's been REALLY great for reducing bulk
between my waist and my knees. It's also helped my shoulders and
upper arms, as it involves a lot of work with the arms and
shoulders. I exercise because I must, basically, and while I like
the results, I'm still not crazy about exercise for its own sake.
However belly dancing is a fairly pleasant form of it, and now that
I'm seeing real results, it's very encouraging.

And it sounds like an awful lot of fun!

I agree with you about exercise for its own sake. I hate walking
treadmills, running along the road, etc. I just get bored. But I
have a great time riding my bicycle on mountain trails, playing
soccer, doing martial arts ... anything where exercise is a byproduct,
not the whole point. When I was younger my friends and I would chase
around the woods with padded swords, beating the snot out of each
other ... that was great fun, too. (Not for everyone, I imagine --
one time I got clocked in the ear and it hurt so bad, but I couldn't
feel my ear, that I actually looked on the ground for it before
realizing it was still attached to my head and not even bleeding.)

One semi-exception for me is weight training. Although I don't
actually do it regularly, in college I had a friend who trained with
me, and the two of us did all sorts of freeweights. I find it
satisfying, but I really want a partner to do it with me, and my
schedule is way too irregular right now to subject a partner to it.

Did I mention the belly dancing sounds like an awful lot of fun?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully