Expectations about weight OT

Old May 9th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Rude Comments about Weight - Was: Expectations about weight OTLONG

Christine K. wrote:

I sometimes use the language switch thingy. One has to be careful, into
which language one switches tho, Swedish may be the other official
language here, but a drunken Finn may become aggressive if I reply in
Swedish. English might be too easily understood so German is a fairly
safe bet, especially if I fake a selection of accents (don't know any
single accent well enough to stick to one). Or speak English with a
French accent.

Heh, this reminds me of a friend of mine. He was visiting Paris, and
found the Parisians a bit snooty. He doesn't speak a word of French, and
they were refusing to speak English with him. Finally he got so
frustrated he started shouting Finnish swear words at them. Suddenly,
they remembered how to speak English. ;o)

Old May 9th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Rude Comments about Weight - Was: Expectations about weight OT

"Flippy" wrote in news:445f06b1
@quokka.wn.com.au:

You should lose weight.
(You should grow a brain...)

Proper response: Why, what a good idea! I would never have thought of
it! Here, you do my work for me while I run right out and do that, K?

Chak, been there, done that, the t-shirt was too small

--
There is something wonderful in seeing a wrong-headed majority assailed
by truth.
Old May 9th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Expectations about weight OT

Unfortunately it does matter to some...last Thanksgiving my Mutha in Law
greeted me not with "Hi how are you" or "Nice to see you," but "How's your
weight?" I have not been back to a family gathering since, and Mother's Day is
making me nervous. I want to get the little piranha a copy of "How to Win
Friends and Influence People," unless someone's finally written a book called
"Shut Your F***ing Mouth, You're Not That Special."

This woman has taken down the picture of me and her son from the living room
wall, and when her little five-year-old, delinquent-in-training grandson called
me a fat pig and a fat weirdo, she rewarded him with chocolate. Feh!

Blessed be,
Baha

Christina Websell wrote:

I keep seeing posts on here about weight, how much is good and how much
isn't.
Yesterday we had a family reunion and the first thing my younger uncle's
wife said to me was "Oh, I'm glad to see you are still slim." I haven't
seen her for two years.
What's that about?
Does it matter to my family what my weight is? I hope not. What if since
the last time she saw me I had got enormously fat? What would she had said
then? I know what she would have said actually. "I have a diet that you
might like to go on.." She is obsessed about being slim. Huh, I told her
the thinner she is the more wrinkles she'll have. ;-)

Tweed

Old May 9th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Les Oignons? Do share please!

Matthew aka NMR wrote:

If you want recipes ideas or what ever just ask I know hunfreds of ways to
make eating healthy taste gret and be easy. Specaily I just learned a new
onion ring recipe that does not involved deep frying

Old May 9th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I belong to Curves and should go more...please someone give me a virtual
buttkicking to get me to do more exercise than my daily walk!

As for hummus...food of the gods!

Blessed be,
Baha

Shiral wrote:

Unfortunately for me, beans give me an upset stomach, and aside from
string beans, I've never been able to stand the things. There's
something about the texture of legumes that I find absolutely awful,
and I can't quite describe what my aversion is. A friend of mine
served chili one night although she knew "I don't do beans" and after
that meal, she was convinced. I'd fished out every bean in my bowl and
laid it to rest on my plate, but ate the rest of the chili quite
willingly. =o) I do like hummus, seeing that the essential "bean-ness"
has been whipped into something tasty and smooth and not actually
recognizable as beans, as such.

I've been doing belly dancing for fitness since January, and I'm
noticing my clothes fit me a lot better. Because bellly-dancing
involves the hips so much, it's been REALLY great for reducing bulk
between my waist and my knees. It's also helped my shoulders and upper
arms, as it involves a lot of work with the arms and shoulders. I
exercise because I must, basically, and while I like the results, I'm
still not crazy about exercise for its own sake. However belly dancing
is a fairly pleasant form of it, and now that I'm seeing real results,
it's very encouraging.

I just wish I could get rid of my sweet tooth!

Melissa

Old May 9th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The sign language I like to employ uses only a finger. It's remarkably
universal.

Matthew aka NMR wrote:

Easy way to deal with people like that start using sign language or
speaking another language people automatically change their way of dealing
with you

"dnr" wrote in message
news
and the eternal "are you sure ...?" whenever you go to eat *anything*
at all.
(of course I'm bloody sure)
Mostly, though, it's non-verbal "comments" that give me the irrits. I
don't think people have *any* idea how much they communicate with
body-language.
Tish

Speaking about weight, I've never had so many rude comments as when I
recently gained weight (due to medical reasons.) Some of the comments:
OMG, you're so fat!
(Really, I hadn't noticed...)
Why are you so fat?
(Why are you so rude?)
You should lose weight.
(You should grow a brain...)
I liked you better when you were slim.
(Well, I never liked you at all...)
I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.
Any others?
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.

Exactly! Rude is rude, nosy is nosy (sorry about the "catty", Cheryl,
I enjoy being "catty" myself now & then, don't think of it as "negative")
and I say instead of trying to pseudopsychoanalyze *reasons* for
comments from people (related or not) w/no manners....let 'em have
it. This has zilch to do w/my weight, but example:
Yesterday at Costco (large wholesale warehouse sales chain here):
Strange man behind me in checkout line:
"Do you have a large family?"
Me: "No".
Strange man: "Do you own a restaurant?"
Me: "No".
Strange man: "Are you going to have a big party?"
Me: "No".
Strange man: "I was trying to figure out why you're buying so much
spaghetti & rice & meat.......?"
Me: "Because I only shop here once a month or so."
Strange man: "Why do you only shop here once a month?"
Me: "Because I don't like shopping here (a lie)".
Strange man: "I shop here often....it's fun to shop here."
At this point, employees made a big breakthrough w/baskets and I
*rushed* up, slammed my purchases on the checkout counter and
went as far away from him as I could get. Set a new speed record
hiking up to woman who checks your sales receipt against what
is in your basket, and *hauled a*** quickly to my truck....
My short replies to this guy were admirably restrained (for ME).
They would've been different if he had been of my race.......
Now, as they say, analyze *that*, wannabe therapists of rude people.
And forget analyzing *me*.....I'm just one of those who does NOT
talk to strangers (exception: if they are looking for something in the
store that I know its location).....

Old May 9th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Some years back I was a home health aide and had to take care of a man who
lived near a controversial women's clinic in the city, which is an abortion
provider. On all corners there were protesters, and many times the police
were called.

One time I got off the bus and crossed the street, and found my way to the
man's home barred by a gang of sign-carrying activists shouting, insulting,
and praying me away from the clinic. I dug out my ID and said I was an
aide, and the man lived five doors down from the place, and would they
please move out of my way so he can get his bath and meals prepared? One of
the protesters said she figured I was going to the clinic, and it would
have surely been a third-trimester abortion in "my "condition."

The agency began providing shuttle service to all clients within a
five-block radius of the clinic the following weekend.

Blessed be,
Baha

Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old May 9th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

When kids say such crap to me and their mothers are around, I often ask
if the mother taught such rudeness, or ws she careless enough to let the
kid get it off the street?

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I prefer the direct approach for replies "That was a rude and hurtful
thing to say. You should be ashamed of being so impolite."

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Old May 9th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Good point; but sometimes we just have to draw the line and let people
know that you can only get away with so much. i don't like to be rude any
more than I like rudeness, but I don't want the rest of civilization to
think i'm just a fat doormat.

Blessed be,
Baha

dnr wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" ...
I prefer the direct approach for replies "That was a rude and hurtful
thing to say. You should be ashamed of being so impolite."
Christopher A. Young

Thank you. The RL world is not rpca and it is not good
to behave as if it is......

Old May 9th 06, 09:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

"Do you have a large family?"
Me: "No".
Strange man: "Do you own a restaurant?"
Me: "No".
Strange man: "Are you going to have a big party?"
Me: "No".
Strange man: "I was trying to figure out why you're buying so much
spaghetti & rice & meat.......?"

Bizarre! He doesn't seem clear on the concept of Costco. There's a
*reason* their shopping carts are enormous. Hasn't he noticed that
everything comes in beyond-economy-size huge containers? When people
shop there, they buy a lot of stuff. That's what it's about.

How rude to challenge you on your purchases. Excuse me???

Joyce