Latest Update on Tortle

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

Default Latest Update on Tortle

It's been about a month since Tortle was diagnosed with acute renal failure
and I am so pleased with her progress. She has gained almost a pound since
I brought her home from the hospital--from a little under 7 pounds to almost
8 pounds. She is on Cyproheptadine for her appetite and it's been great for
her. She had blood work done 4 or 5 days ago and her Creatinine is down to
2 (from over 11 at the highest point) and her BUN is in the high 30's (down
from over 100). Her phosphorus is normal now so she doesn't need phosphorus
binders (yeah!). I'm now giving her sub-cutaneous fluids every 3 days,
instead of daily, for which we are both grateful! She absolutely hates the
sub-Q fluids--she yowls and growls and struggles the entire time. It's
major trauma time. I was so spoiled with Molly who was a dream to work
with. We have another vet visit in a couple of weeks and I hope eventually
that we'll be able to discontinue the fluids.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Azodyl. It's a
probiotic that is supposed to help with azotemia. My vet (actually her
partner) put her on that shortly after I brought her home and I think it has
really helped with Tortle's blood values. The only drawback as far as I can
see is that it is a large capsule and is supposed to be administered in
capsule form (as opposed to sprinkling it over food). Tortle has been
amazingly easy to pill but I think it would be hard to give to many cats.

This whole experience has been pretty traumatic for Tortle (actually for all
of us). Tortle was so sick and then Molly had to be put to sleep and they
were such close buddies. And I'm either poking pills down her throat or
sticking her with a needle. She's more withdrawn than she was but I can't
say I blame her--she's been through a lot!

I'm just pleased to have her home and healthy--will be delighted when she
can be medication free!

Bonnie

The latest fad wafflycat Cat anecdotes 9 November 30th 05 12:42 AM
B & C - Latest! Bev Cat anecdotes 8 October 9th 04 06:25 PM
Latest news on "the eye" Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 241 October 8th 04 06:43 AM
Latest on Brandy Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 248 August 28th 04 08:07 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM