food dangers

Old March 27th 04, 06:22 PM
David Yehudah

I grew up in a rural area in the South and had/have a thick Southern
accent. To give you an idea, recordings I have heard of my own voice
sound just like Chester in the old "Gunsmoke" series. The problem was
that I learned to read at an early age and as a result developed a
vocabulary and manner of speaking very foreign to my mileiu. The people
among which I grew up seemed backward and ignorant, in great part
because of the way they speak and partly because of their (as perceived
by me) anti-intellectualism (I don't need none of that there fancy-dancy
edumacation). It wasn't until years later I discovered to my horror that
I sound just like them. L'il Abner would fit right in.

I spent twenty years of my life as a young adult in cosmopolitan
settings learning to speak English without the crude accent I grew up
with only to regain it five minutes after returning to my home town. sigh

wrote:

Sherry wrote:

Sort of OT, but I always get offended on the phone with technical
support people. I have this awful southern drawl. When I hear myself
on tape I just cringe.

I think southern accents are really pretty! You are right, though, that
there's an unfair stereotype of southerners as not being very bright.
I just think it's too bad you feel embarrassed about how you talk, when
it's not your fault that other people have this prejudice about your
accent. They're the ones who are stupid!

Anyway, tech support people I get on the phone always automatically
assume the person on the other end is just really dumb. They usually
ask me if the computer is plugged in or something really stupid at
first.

I don't know if it'll be any comfort to know that they treat everyone
like that, no matter where you're from.

Joyce

Old March 27th 04, 06:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:22:00 -0800, David Yehudah
yodeled:

[...]

Don't feel bad, David. If I were to come down to where you came from,
everyone would probably think I stepped right out of "The Sopranos."

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Yowie

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:10:27 -0600, Jeanne Hedge
yodeled:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:03:21 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

My family emmigrated from England to Australia when I was four and a

half. I
don't have much of an accent [1], but my parents retain theres, at least

the ears of Aussies.

But when they go back to England, the English swear that they ahve
Australian accents!

Yowie

My ex-BF's family also emigrated to Australia from England when he was
a child-- he was the eldest of three boys, and he pretty much kept his
English accent-- the younger two are totally Aussie. Pretty weird to
hear them all together, since they shared a lot of Aussie mannerisms
and expressions, but only the younger two completely absorbed the
accent.

I think it depends on the age. Up until a certain point, children can learn
different languages and speak them as a native toungue. After that
point,they can still learn a foreign language, but its an *adult* form of
learning and will never be "native" in the way in which th ebrain handles
the info.

I suspect accents fall into the category of "languages", after all, and
important point with a native speaker is that they speak the language
without a hint of a foreign accent.

Yowie
WHo knows to say "*yoe*-gert" at the shops but "yog-*ert*" to my parents
when referring to yoghurt

Old March 27th 04, 11:21 PM
Napoleon

"JoJo" wrote in message ...
Annie, sorry to hear you've got to come here for surgery, but if you need a
translator I can help (we don't talk that bad). I hope your husbands
surgery goes well!

You may run into the following - If anyone asks you "jeet jet" what they are
trying to ask you is "did you eat yet" Or if you over hear that particular
conversation and somebody responds with "no, jew" - simply means "no, did
you".

Alvie Singer says "hi".
Old March 28th 04, 12:58 AM
Tish S

I've never spoken to Dave Y, but when I read his posts I "hear" it in
a kind-of Texas "howdy y'awll" kind of accent; don't know why! In my
mind he sounds a bit like one of the farmers I used to work with - a
wonderful, wonderful man from deep south Texas who emigrated to
Australia 40-odd years ago and, if anything, developed an even
stronger Texan accent as a result (somewhat like an adopted uncle of
mine who lived in South Africa for near-enough to fifty years, but
retained the strongest Australian accent you could imagine - kind-of
like a slow-talkin' Crocodile Hunter!).

Tish
whose accent varies depending on the accent of the person I'm talking
with, but whose "home" accent is definitely Australian; albeit
cityfied Australian.

Old March 28th 04, 03:21 AM
badwilson

"Yowie" wrote in message
u...
"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:35:49 GMT, (JBHajos)
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:51:26 -0600, John F. Eldredge
wrote:

[1] I was born in Alabama, but moved to Tennessee by age 4, so I
don't have that much memory of the local accent.

I live in Huntsville, practically Tennessee. You from anywhere
near
there?

Accents are learned, and lost, quickly, especially with the
children. My daughter's husband was stationed in England for two
years. When they returned to the States, their girls, then 6 and
8, spoke with British words and accents. We were absolutely charmed
by it (though at times we did need a bit of interpretation).
Sadly, our delight was short-lived. Seems in no time flat it was
all totally
erased, to be supplanted by the Southern Drawl!!!

I was born in Auburn, AL in 1957. We moved to Jackson, TN in 1961,
to Nashville, TN in 1963, to Campbellsville, KY in 1970, and back to
Nashville in 1976. I have lived in Nashville ever since then. So, I
have lived in Nashville for a total of 35 years out of 46, and
consider it home.

My sister has lived in Richmond, VA for the last 15 years or so, and
has started to pick up a noticeable Tidewater accent.

My family emmigrated from England to Australia when I was four and a half.

don't have much of an accent [1], but my parents retain theres, at least

the ears of Aussies.

But when they go back to England, the English swear that they ahve
Australian accents!

Yowie
[1] Unless I'm with my parents and have spent a few hours around them,

then
my accent comes back. Or if I"m really drunk or really angry :-)

My family emigrated from Germany to Canada when I was 10. I didn't know a
word of English when we first arrived, but got put right into grade 5 at the
local elementary school. Didn't take long to learn the language, maybe 6
months for the basics and a year to be fluent. I kept speaking German at
home with my parents. Somehow my accent is all screwed up because nobody
can guess that I'm from Germany. People are always asking me if I'm from
Scotland! LOL! I've never even been anywhere near there, or England or
Ireland for that matter. Ah well, things will only get worse after we move
to Australia ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's covered

Old March 29th 04, 02:56 AM
Yowie

"Tish S" wrote in message
om...
I've never spoken to Dave Y, but when I read his posts I "hear" it in
a kind-of Texas "howdy y'awll" kind of accent; don't know why! In my
mind he sounds a bit like one of the farmers I used to work with - a
wonderful, wonderful man from deep south Texas who emigrated to
Australia 40-odd years ago and, if anything, developed an even
stronger Texan accent as a result (somewhat like an adopted uncle of
mine who lived in South Africa for near-enough to fifty years, but
retained the strongest Australian accent you could imagine - kind-of
like a slow-talkin' Crocodile Hunter!).

Tish
whose accent varies depending on the accent of the person I'm talking
with, but whose "home" accent is definitely Australian; albeit
cityfied Australian.

You as well? There are some posters here I read with an "accent" and then
eventually I'll get in contact by phone and htey sound *nothing like* the
voice in my head that I"ve given them.

Your accent, while definatley an Aussie one, sounds a little Melbournian to
me, and Flippy sounds *very* Melbournian (which is reassuring, since thats
where she is!). Your Dave sounds more "local" to my ears.

Yowie

Old March 29th 04, 09:39 AM

Annie Wxill wrote:

For example, the last name Saenz, which I had never seen before, is
pronounced as the English word "signs." So, if somebody had a last
name that sounded like signs to me, it probably was spelled Saenz.

I would think Saenz would sound more like "science". As I learned it,
the z in Spanish is pronounced like an s - not vocalized. Also, the "ae"
combination is actually two syllables. (Was there an accent over the a?)

But you lived there, I didn't, so maybe in that part of the country, it's
different from what I learned in Spanish class.

Joyce

Can Cats Eat Dog Food? JHBennett Cat anecdotes 31 January 29th 05 09:42 AM
pet food recall Lydia Cat anecdotes 1 October 27th 03 09:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM