food dangers

Old March 21st 04, 08:47 PM

Grinder wrote:

It's really pretty plain why this sort of thing occurs. Many of the
retirees are, not to put too fine a point on it, obnoxious Yankees
from New York and New Jersey. You can get a mild idea of what they
are like from the Seinfeld episodes where he visited the condo in
Florida that his parents lived in.

What are you getting at, Grinder?

Joyce
Old March 21st 04, 08:49 PM

Kreisleriana wrote:

It's really pretty plain why this sort of thing occurs. Many of the
retirees are, not to put too fine a point on it, obnoxious Yankees
from New York and New Jersey.

Oh dear. I didn't know it was because of their geographical origins.
My dad is a retiree from NYC, but I can't remember him whacking
anybody, or even giving a dirty look.

Methinks it's not really a geographical issue, but is more about
certain ethnic groups, that Grinder has a problem with.

Joyce - offended by the whole idea
Old March 21st 04, 08:54 PM

Hopitus2 wrote:

BTW, don't you think it would be the kind thing to do to inform poor
Cap'n Pine Cone esq. that alt.cats.world.domination ng is and has
been defunct for some time?

Oh, was there really such a group?? Or are you just joking? I want there
to be an ng with that name!

Joyce
Old March 21st 04, 08:58 PM
Yowie

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:44:16 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

Don't take it personally, kid. The bottom line is not their *origin*,

it's
the sheer *volume*, from just a few northern states, that is the root of

the
local jokes, etc. re strange geezer behavior. How people had to behave to
survive in their native areas for many years sometimes causes
misunderstandings when they become "transplants" as we FL natives call

them.
For example, when I finally get out west I fully expect to be forced to
explain details of living in my Doofus State, much less voting in it,

LOL.
Your dad will stick with friends from his northern origin (they quickly

find
each other and travel in groups here), and if he's like most of them,

will
never even be aware of their reputations, deserved or otherwise, in this,
the promised land of always-warm and no-state-income-tax. OTOH, I fear

I'll
find very few old Floridians who migrated to Colorado to spend their

golden
years......

My father is very much aware of the behavior you-- we-- have been
discussing, and he finds it as obnoxious and inconveniencing and
embarassing-- and as weird-- as you or anyone else does. He/we
certainly don't recognize it as typical Northeastern behavior simply
transplanted to an easier climate. It would be obnoxious in any
environment.

I dont' think its necessarily the behaviour of northerners in a southern
area any more than the stereotypical "obnoxious American tourist" is
representative of all Americans.

It seems to me that the problem lies not within the individual but the fact
of "foriegners" (in the loosest term possible) grouping together and not
ever fully intergrating themselves with the local populations. In that way,
they will forever be seen as different, and because they are in their own
"safe" group, their ways will be seen as rude and difficult compared to
local folks.

I'm just as sure that if I got a pack of 20 of my friends and transported
them to Your Town and we stuck together, you'd find out behaviour less than
exemplarary simply because we aren't behaving like locals. We would think
our behaviour is perfectly normal (and it is, for us, in our own culture)
and have 19 people to validate it and keep us behaving in the way we do. And
with 19 other people who understand my slang and my behaviour and know my
"in" jokes, I'd have no need to intergrate myself fully into your
community - I'd already have my own, which would deepen the differences
between My Friends and Your Town and perpetuate the cycle of "foriegners"
sticking together at the exclusion of locals.

And thats the very same reason why you get little enclaves of communities,
its easier to stick with people who know you and your ways and your dialect
than to fit in with your other neighbours. And because both groups stay
tight knit, and don't trust the other because they don't understand the
other, the nasty rumuors and stereotypes continue to propogate. Once you got
to know the people as individuals and started crossing some of those
cultural barriers, you'd most likely discover that folks is folks no matter
where you go in the world. Some folks are indeed obnoxious and arrogant
fools, but most are just regular people with all the hopes dreams, fears and
sorrows that we all have. It sjust easier to stick to a group that makes you
feel comfortable than it is to go out there and fit into a different
community.

This also explains why tourists on tourist busses all seem so horrible, but
tourists travelling pretty much by themselves always seem so much nicer:
there's safety in numbers on the bus and you stick with that "community"
when you are not in your element, whereas the individual tourist *has* to
interact positively with the natives just to get around.

Yowie

Old March 22nd 04, 12:31 PM
Sherry

The turn this discussion has taken, is just upsetting me now.. I'm
from Brooklyn New York, and so is my father, who has retired to South
Florida, and this behavior is as weird, unreasonable and obnoxious to
us as it is to everyone else.

Ohhh, don't be upset, Theresa. We all have our local nutjobs. There's always
"the few" that give an entire group a bad name.
Sort of OT, but I always get offended on the phone with technical support
people. I have this awful southern drawl. When I hear myself on tape I just
cringe. Anyway, tech support people I get on the phone always automatically
assume the person on the other end is just really dumb. They usually ask me if
the computer is plugged in or something really stupid at first.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:42 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:51:51 -0500, Kreisleriana
wrote:

On 22 Mar 2004 12:31:56 GMT, itty (Sherry ) yodeled:

The turn this discussion has taken, is just upsetting me now.. I'm
from Brooklyn New York, and so is my father, who has retired to South
Florida, and this behavior is as weird, unreasonable and obnoxious to
us as it is to everyone else.

Ohhh, don't be upset, Theresa. We all have our local nutjobs. There's always
"the few" that give an entire group a bad name.
Sort of OT, but I always get offended on the phone with technical support
people. I have this awful southern drawl. When I hear myself on tape I just
cringe. Anyway, tech support people I get on the phone always automatically
assume the person on the other end is just really dumb. They usually ask me if
the computer is plugged in or something really stupid at first.

Now you don't be upset, Sherry. They do that to everyone.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Years ago I had a friend who was new to computers and called me for
help. He told me that his problem was that he wasn't getting any
picture. Course I asked him that very importent "is it plugged in?"
question, and he got a little miffed, and said of course it was
plugged in, and the little power light turned on and off when he
turned the monitor on and off.

So, I headed on over, figuring it was something that couldn't be
diagnosed over the phone. Once I got there he offered me a soda, and
while he headed off to get the soda I took a quick look at the system,
and fiddled with it for a minute.

We visited for a while, and then he asked what I thought the problem
might be. I told him turn it on and so I could see what happened, and
it powered up and everything worked fine. He couldn't understand, and
I bullsh*tted him for awhile, telling him it was probably the monitor
or videocard going bad.

Once he started asking me how much I figured it'd cost to replace, I
finally broke down and told him that while he was getting my soda I
had checked, and plugged in the video cable, which had not been
screwed in and had worked itself loose
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Can Cats Eat Dog Food? JHBennett Cat anecdotes 31 January 29th 05 09:42 AM
pet food recall Lydia Cat anecdotes 1 October 27th 03 09:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM