food dangers

Old March 24th 04, 03:06 AM
JoJo

I'm from Pittsburgh, we've got our own "dialect" here. Instead of "you all"
we say "yinz". There is no such thing as a rubber band here - they are
called gumbands. And bologna - for some reason is called jumbo (although I
say bologna). Downtown comes out "dahntahn". Lot of old polish words too
such as bubushka (scarf). Picture = pitcher, flower = flour, nosey = nebby,
clean up/tidy up = red up, Steelers = Stillers. Favorite food is Isaly's
chipped chopped ham - can I just say it's cheap, greasy and gross?

I usually do not speak "pittsburgh-ese" however sometimes I forget myself.
I work with people from across the US so I usually do pretty well. Hardest
for me to break is gumband and yinz. If talking to other locals who speak
full blown pittsburgh-ese I find myself speaking the same. Just like if I
spend enough time around someone with a southern accent I start picking that
up.

JoJo
http://home.comcast.net/~zookeepr/fosters.html

"CATherine" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:07:53 GMT, wrote:

Sherry wrote:

I was asked by a clerk in New York once, "Are you from Texas? Because
you're the only person I've heard make the word "four" into two

syllables."

Ha - Bostonians do it, too! My mother says "foe-wah" for the number 4.

Joyce - but I don't

I was raised in the panhandle of Texas. I don't and never did have a
heavy Texas accent. My Mama insisted we speak properly, by the book.
But i have noticed my older sister, being an adult for 35 years and
still living in Texas, now has a strong accent that she didn't have as
a child. She says "fo-war".

--
CATherine

Old March 24th 04, 04:26 AM
Sherry

OK, I admit my knowledge of USA geography isn't too good - where
in Texas is the "panhandle"? I've certainly heard of it - I even
read a novel recently that was set in that region - but when I
tried to locate it on a map I couldn't find it. I found a couple
of websites with information about the area but no map! So now I
have to know...
Helen Wheels

It's the top part of West Texas, the little rectangle that sticks up. Find
Amarillo on your map, and that's the panhandle. Kind of a misnomer, since Texas
doesn't look anything like a pan :-)

Sherry
Old March 24th 04, 04:57 AM
Helen Wheels

Sherry wrote:
OK, I admit my knowledge of USA geography isn't too good - where
in Texas is the "panhandle"? I've certainly heard of it - I even
read a novel recently that was set in that region - but when I
tried to locate it on a map I couldn't find it. I found a couple
of websites with information about the area but no map! So now I
have to know...
Helen Wheels

It's the top part of West Texas, the little rectangle that sticks up. Find
Amarillo on your map, and that's the panhandle. Kind of a misnomer, since Texas
doesn't look anything like a pan :-)

Sherry

Thanks - I'll look in my atlas tonight, then I'll be able to
sleep again
Helen Wheels

Old March 24th 04, 03:07 PM
Annie Wxill

"CATherine" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:07:53 GMT, wrote:
I was raised in the panhandle of Texas. I don't and never did have a
heavy Texas accent. My Mama insisted we speak properly, by the book.
But i have noticed my older sister, being an adult for 35 years and
still living in Texas, now has a strong accent that she didn't have as
a child. She says "fo-war".
CATherine

When we moved from Washington (the state) to Texas nearly 10 years ago, it
took me a while to get used to the dialect. I still have a problem with the
use of "y'alls" instead of "your" as in "Is that y'alls house?"
Also, we are not too far from Mexico, and have a large population of Spanish
speakers, which means that I had to learn to listen carefully to distinguish
if the person was giving a Spanish instead of English pronunciation to a
word. For example, the last name Saenz, which I had never seen before, is
pronounced as the English word "signs." So, if somebody had a last name
that sounded like signs to me, it probably was spelled Saenz.
To further complicate things, I got a job at the newspaper, which involve
talking on the phone, including conducting interviews. Christmas
decorations are a really big deal here, and one of the articles I was
assigned to write was on how the society people were decorating their homes.
This involved getting the information by phone without actually seeing the
decorations.
One woman was telling me about the four or five trees she had in her home.
One, she said, was decorated with something that sounded like "awlwells." I
was struggling to figure out what she was talking about, but it just was not
clicking. So finally, I just apologized and asked her to please spell it.
She said, "Oil wells."

Annie

Old March 24th 04, 04:11 PM
Sherry

When we moved from Washington (the state) to Texas nearly 10 years ago, it
took me a while to get used to the dialect. I still have a problem with the
use of "y'alls" instead of "your" as in "Is that y'alls house?"

Well, ya know there are actually three forms of "ya'll"...."ya'll" is singular,
"ya'lls" is plural, and "all ya'lls" refers to a whole honking bunch of people.
What cracks me up more than that (which BTW sounds normal to me)...are people
who say "You guys's house."

Sherry
Old March 24th 04, 04:40 PM
JBHajos

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:06:56 -0500, "JoJo"
wrote:

I'm from Pittsburgh, we've got our own "dialect" here. logna).

Oh, yeah!!! My mother was born in Pittsburgh and always said
babushka, gumband, "red the table", etc, etc. Growing up, I thought
it was "proper" English. Still, when I went to Pittsburgh later to be
a bridesmaid at my cousin's wedding, I could barely understand them ,
with words such as "the machine" which I finally learned translated to
"the car."

My dad is a Louisianian and had his own set of odd-ball words, i.e.,
"er" sound pronounced as "oi". I was born in Virginia and gathered my
own set. As we were a military family, we moved around a lot,
adding touches here and there. The adults never changed but we kids
sure picked up a batch of dialects.

Then my husband and I ended up in Alabama. Whew, talk about a whole
different language!! I still sometimes don't get the hang of it.
When my son started in the public school, after a while dummy me had a
heck of a time figuring out what he was saying. Case in point, "fawv"
which, of *course*, was "five."

After years of living in VA, PA, IL, LA, DC, MO, FL, etc., I was
*sure* I had no particular accent. Until, a number of years ago, my
brother called, after a long abscence, and as we were talking, he
said, "You sound just like George Wallace!" The perfect squelch!!

Jeanne

Can Cats Eat Dog Food? JHBennett Cat anecdotes 31 January 29th 05 09:42 AM
pet food recall Lydia Cat anecdotes 1 October 27th 03 09:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
Raiders of the Large Tub of Kitten Food Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 4 August 11th 03 07:29 AM