Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

Old June 28th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Scottish Fold kitten seems lonely or in heat!

Usenet doesn't work like that, and the persons who starts a thread has
no special rights or powers when it comes to controlling the direction
of it. The conversation goes where it goes.

Lis

That's fine but if any of you have ever posted online anywhere (forums
particularly), one should be very familiar with the codes of conduct.
When a thread is started of a particular topic and the topic
disappears or turns into something else entirely, the thread is shut
down. These people, and you, are becoming angry as far as I can tell
and alls I need is some help with my freaking kittens.

Old June 28th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

wrote in message
ps.com...
Usenet doesn't work like that, and the persons who starts a thread has
no special rights or powers when it comes to controlling the direction
of it. The conversation goes where it goes.

Lis

That's fine but if any of you have ever posted online anywhere (forums
particularly), one should be very familiar with the codes of conduct.
When a thread is started of a particular topic and the topic
disappears or turns into something else entirely, the thread is shut
down. These people, and you, are becoming angry as far as I can tell
and alls I need is some help with my freaking kittens.

Unfortunately this happens quite a bit sometimes. Being a unmoderated
forum this happens all you can do is go with the flow, jump in or get off
the beach. Some times it is time to break out the popcorn

Old June 28th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

wrote in message
ps.com...
Usenet doesn't work like that, and the persons who starts a thread has
no special rights or powers when it comes to controlling the direction
of it. The conversation goes where it goes.

Lis

That's fine but if any of you have ever posted online anywhere (forums
particularly), one should be very familiar with the codes of conduct.

But this isn't one of those fora and has no such codes of conduct.

When a thread is started of a particular topic and the topic
disappears or turns into something else entirely, the thread is shut
down.

And that's the difference between a forum or a moderated group and an
unmoderated group (such as this one). There is no moderator on an
unmoderated group to shut a thread down if the topic disappears or turns
into something else. That's why people form moderated groups, but this
particular group is not moderated.

These people, and you, are becoming angry as far as I can tell
and alls I need is some help with my freaking kittens.

I don't know who are "these people" but Bookie's comments were regarding the
idiots who shot Sheelagh's cat, Ringo, and were not directed at you or your
kittens. Above, Lis was simply explaining to you how Usenet works (as I
did). No one is getting angry with you as far as I can tell.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old June 29th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:43:40 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

There are still very few reasons to think that there is any general
threat towards our cats in as far as predators, ( other animals, rabies,
& most of the general threats in the USA that lead most of you to
conclude that indoor life for cats is the best option for them.) I have
already tried explained how abnormal other Brits think it is when you
try to explain why. I can only akin it to telling a Nomad in the Sahara
that he should take better care of his camels in a stable in case
someone or thing might hurt them, or they are being irresponsible!

The U.K. is a backwards culture in many respects and this is a good
example. The hazards facing outdoor cats are numerous and not confined
to malicious teenagers. There is also the risk of traffic, storm drains,
hollow walls, and other environmental hazards. You cannot tell me these
things are not a factor in the U.K. One of your storm drains killed a
full-grown man the other day... how much better would a cat fare?

In parts of Asia, most people still smoke cigarettes and they think the
health risks are overstated. Eventually they will wise up, and
eventually the Brits will wise up about the dangers facing their outdoor
cats. You have already wised up yourself, so you are ahead of the
national average.

Charlie
Old June 29th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:33:59 -0700, sheelagh wrote:

Personally, I feel the old method is still the best one. Stick them in
the stocks in the middle of the Village green, where you can buy rotten
eggs & tomatoes to pelt them with.

Good grief. You see, Sheelagh, this is why I think the U.K. is a
backwards culture... your years of glory are past, so you have a
nostalgia for the era when Brittania ruled the waves and petty criminals
were hanged for stealing a loaf of bread, or perhaps if the king
intervened sent to a prison hulk to await transportation to Australia.

Charlie
Old June 29th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 Jun, 19:17, "
wrote:
Meanwhile.......
things have kinda taken a turn for the worse with the kittens.

See, Beowulf is the excited, exploratory kind of tomcat, who will jump
on anything, play with you whenever you want, let you touch/pet/hold
him. Newly named Rofl (the scottish fold), is still as skittish as
ever. She's been getting up, running around, having a blast with
Beowulf; but it seems Beowulf is adopting her sense to run away
whenever we go to touch him in any way.
If you get too close to her, she'll immediately high-tail it for the
bedroom down the hall and hang out under the very hard to access
platform bed, until much later (usually a matter of hours), whereas
Beowulf will just run from you until you give up, he won't even hide.

I am tempted to keep them blocked off from the bedroom where it seems
their safe haven is, if only to limit the number of hiding spaces they
have to get away from us whenever they want.
Beowulf I'm not too concerned about, he'll be fine...he's too
adventurous and affectionate to not be. But Rofl...I have to chase her
around sometimes to get her to let me pick her up and pet her for a
while. She still struggles while being pet; I even had her in my lap
for a good 30 minutes straight the other night, she tried to get away
probably once a minute, every minute, for 30 minutes. Does this mean
she isn't a lapcat or am I expecting too much, considering we've only
had them 4 days?

She just basically doesn't want to be touched, held, or pet...yet. She
will immediately bolt for a safe spot so she doesn't have to deal with
it. I can't in good conscience let her run away every time someone
wants to be physical with her.
She doesn't whine or cry any more when we're not around, so that's
progress.

please do not close off her safe area, she needs that, she wil come
round in time, but she will only do so if she knows she has somewhere
she can still escape to if she suddenyl feels threatened.
think bowlby's attachment theory and about the securely attached
child; such a child will go exploring because they know there is a
place where they can return to easily and get security and protection
(ie the mother or care giver), they are happy to go and roam and make
new friends because they knwo they still ahve the 'secure base' there
which they can retuirn to at anytime, this is what your scottish fold
needs and that is why you cannot close off the bedroom to her

Old June 29th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 Jun, 07:11, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:34:39 -0700, bookie wrote:

tell me when they are actually in the process of moving out of their
house and I will happily come round and throw eggs at them, run them out
of town inthe old-fashioned way, maybe a burning tyre round the neck for
the kids?

i still hope they burn in hell, even if they are moving out.

Hmmmm. Have you ever heard of the MMPI, Bookie? Its a personality test,
consisting of several hundred true/false items, often taken while wearing
blue pajamas and paper slippers. You might look into it, as a way of
learning more about yourself.

Charlie

i know myself very well thank you, and i know i do not need to resort
to nasty sly little comments such as this one form you to feel good
about myself

what a knobcheese

Old June 29th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 28 Jun, 21:40, "
wrote:
Usenet doesn't work like that, and the persons who starts a thread has
no special rights or powers when it comes to controlling the direction
of it. The conversation goes where it goes.

Lis

That's fine but if any of you have ever posted online anywhere (forums
particularly), one should be very familiar with the codes of conduct.
When a thread is started of a particular topic and the topic
disappears or turns into something else entirely, the thread is shut
down. These people, and you, are becoming angry as far as I can tell
and alls I need is some help with my freaking kittens.

maybe if you read about the incident sheelagh is referring to re-ringo
et al it may be of help, ir what happened the treatment he had etc,
considering how easily available guns are inthe US it may be well
worth your while reading about it

bookie
and dont; force the scottish fold to sit on your lap if she doesn;t
want to, I don't force either of mine to, dontl; think any of my cats
have ever been real lap cats and quite frankly i couldnt care less,
that is not what i got them for. i got them to give them a home and to
spoil them rotten, not so that they woudl do my bidding and sit on my
lap at my command.
just let the poor little mite be for a while, stop scaring her too and
grabbing her, give her some space and time. get down to her level,
physically i mean, get down on the floor and just spend time lying
next to her on the floor talking to her, just do this a few times
without attempting to touch her or pick her up, show her that you are
no threat to her and that you are nice to be with, give her some tasty
cat treats whilst you're at it, then go away and leave her, then go
back an just sit with her.
give a few days then try to stroke her, build it up slowly and allow
her to come out of her shell and see that you are no threat, don't
force her into having contact with you or that will just scare her
more and destroy any relationship.

anymore pictures of her?

Old June 29th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Jun 28, 7:16 pm, bookie wrote:
[...]

Wow. What a frustrated bint you are.
Go service yourself and have a kip.