Stupid Food Question

Old November 24th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Stupid Food Question

I *love* salty things, always did. But since I've been having medical
problems it seems my "sensitivity" to salt has increased a lot.
Consequently I tend to over-salt things. I hate it when I have a whole dish
of food I've essentially "ruined" by putting in too much table salt. I
there something you can add on top of that that would "cut" the salty taste?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 24th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

not really but try this, get a saucer, sprinkle the salt on the empty
saucer... then scrape either the fork or the food across it before you eat
it, even if you have to have enough salt to dip, you can adjust bite by
bite,... you also might try using provelle cheese or parm where you can as
both are pretty salty but might be less intrusive than just too much salt,

Old November 24th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I *love* salty things, always did. But since I've been having medical
problems it seems my "sensitivity" to salt has increased a lot.
Consequently I tend to over-salt things. I hate it when I have a whole
dish of food I've essentially "ruined" by putting in too much table salt.
I there something you can add on top of that that would "cut" the salty
taste?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

If it's liquid, adding a raw potato and simmering is supposed to help.

I never put salt in food when cooking. I add it at the table if I feel it
needs it.

Joy

Old November 24th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 25/11/2010 6:18 AM, Storrmmee wrote:

wrote in message
I *love* salty things, always did. But since I've been having medical
problems it seems my "sensitivity" to salt has increased a lot.
Consequently I tend to over-salt things. I hate it when I have a whole
dish of food I've essentially "ruined" by putting in too much table salt.
I there something you can add on top of that that would "cut" the salty
taste?

--

not really but try this, get a saucer, sprinkle the salt on the empty
saucer... then scrape either the fork or the food across it before you eat
it, even if you have to have enough salt to dip, you can adjust bite by
bite,... you also might try using provelle cheese or parm where you can as
both are pretty salty but might be less intrusive than just too much salt,

Would have to agree with Lee. Don't add salt to your food until after
cooking, and then add salt per mouthful as you go. Much like sugar, you
can wean yourself off the stuff.

The other option to cut down on your sodium intake is to use potassium
chloride salt rather than sodium chloride salt. Here its called simply
'K Salt'. But talk to your cardiologist first about that. Mucking about
with your electrolyte levels can be dangerous.

Yowie
Old November 24th 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Interesting how various folks use or don't use salt.

I recently wanted to make some pancakes, being caught in the house on a rainy
weekend morning when I'd normally be out bicycling. The recipe called for
salt, and I wasn't sure whether that was for taste or to properly make the
batter rise, or whatever the term is for a non-yeast - baking soda - batter.
I couldn't find any salt in the house, and thus sadly ended up using Bisquik.
(for non-US folks, a boxed "just add milk" product that can be used for
everything from biscuits to waffles.).

When I went out to get a sandwich for lunch, I noticed that the table of
condiments had tiny packages of salt, so I purloined three or four of them to
satisfy my need for salt for the next year. I'm not a larcenous soul, but
figured the salt cost them less than they saved by my "no tomatoes, please"
directive.

Art
Old November 24th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I *love* salty things, always did. But since I've been having medical
problems it seems my "sensitivity" to salt has increased a lot.
Consequently I tend to over-salt things. I hate it when I have a whole
dish of food I've essentially "ruined" by putting in too much table salt.
I there something you can add on top of that that would "cut" the salty
taste?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Once salted, you can't take it back. I don't usually salt things while
cooking, beyond the usual 1/4 tsp. [or whatever] the recipe calls for. I
prefer to let people salt for themselves at the table. So... don't put salt
on anything but your own food?

Jill --also a salt-a-holic

Old November 24th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

Once salted, you can't take it back. I don't usually salt things while
cooking, beyond the usual 1/4 tsp. [or whatever] the recipe calls for. I
prefer to let people salt for themselves at the table. So... don't put salt
on anything but your own food?

Jill --also a salt-a-holic

waving hand Another salt freak here! I also don't cook with salt
because pretty much everyone I know prefers a lot less salt than I like
to put on my food. If I salted to taste during the cooking process,
I'd be the only one who would want to eat it.

Also, I've heard that when you salt food while it's cooking, it tends
to lose some of the salty flavor - but it doesn't lose the sodium content.
So then you might want to salt it again at the table, resulting in more
sodium. If you salt food just as you're about to eat it you don't have
an extra dose of it, at least! (Experienced cooks: any truth to this
theory?)

Joyce

--
There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one
to come off as a sane person.

Old November 24th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
[...]

Oh please, don't try to sound superior because you don't have a salt shaker
in your house. Salt used to be a form of currency In Roman times if you
had bags (coins) of salt you'd be considered wealthy.

You can't avoid salt. Sodium occurs naturally in many vegetables. Don't
believe me? Google it for yourself.

http://www.dietbites.com/Sodium-In-F...egetables.html

Even if you claimed to be a vegetarian who never adds salt, you really would
be far from the truth.

Salt, in moderation, is not a problem for most people. No one can
completely avoid salt.

Jill

Old November 25th 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I don't have a salt shaker anymore, When people are coming, I borrow one
from my son's house. I like it too much and am not supposed to have a lot
and, I can tell when I do.