Stupid Food Question

Old November 29th 10, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Stupid Food Question

son has had several cats that have had strokes and a few died of them.
"Storrmmee" wrote in message
yes cats have high bp and strokes all the time, Lee
m...

Art Shapiro wrote:
On 11/25/2010 9:11 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
this is facinating, DH and i have been together the better part of
thirty
years, we have bought maybe five of those blue canisters with the girl
on it

In fairness, the stuff is quite useful for sprinkling on snails or slugs
outside. Great visual savoir faire.

Now the question has to be asked: does anyone here salt their cats'
food???

Art

Only if it happens at the manufacturer's! Apropos of that. did anyone
ever hear of a cat with high blood pressure? Must be something to the
advice that humans should cut down on salt use.

Old November 29th 10, 11:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I got the idea from her DH and it does work. Like she said you need enough
to really flush things out. It is nasty while doing but worth not having to
take meds for it.
"CatNipped" wrote in message
OK, may just give that a try and get Ben to also - we both suffer from
sinus infections and allergies.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
its not strong enough and to flush properly you need a larger volume than
spray allows for, one of the benifits of having a sil who is a
naturopathic doctor is she explains whys of things, in order for the salt
to stop the infections, you need both a strong, warmish solution with
enough volume to really loosen the debri that might be hanging on...
saline spray is good to moisten while flying and to assist in preventing
nose bleeds, Lee
"CatNipped" wrote in message
You can get saline nasal spray at WalMart - it's really very cheap and
you don't have all that bother of mixing.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
he mixes it in a glass of water and snorts it, gross but he has reduced
his sinus infections to almost nil, and he really needed to wokrk on
thhis as he is allergic to several antibiotics so tries to limit those
he can take in case of some serious life threatening issue in the
future, Lee
"Winnie" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 2:15 am, "Storrmmee" wrote:
dh does use it now for clearing his sinuses, works very good to avoid
sinus
infections, Lee

Recently my doctor told me to spray saline solution in my noses when
was on a plane. Usually it gets very dry in the plane and I was
recovering
from a sinus congestion and cough.

A friend told me she used a neti pot to flush her nasal cavities with
saline soultion.
So salt does has other uses besides seasoning.

"Winnie" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 12:11 pm, "Storrmmee" wrote:

this is facinating, DH and i have been together the better part of
thirty
years, we have bought maybe five of those blue canisters with the
girl on
it
in that time, one we lost in an apartment flood, and one in the
house
fire,
two got thrown out due to getting rock hard, lol,
wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

Once salted, you can't take it back. I don't usually salt things
while
cooking, beyond the usual 1/4 tsp. [or whatever] the recipe
calls for.
prefer to let people salt for themselves at the table. So...
don't put
salt
on anything but your own food?

Jill --also a salt-a-holic

waving hand Another salt freak here! I also don't cook with salt
because pretty much everyone I know prefers a lot less salt than I
like
to put on my food. If I salted to taste during the cooking
process,
I'd be the only one who would want to eat it.

Also, I've heard that when you salt food while it's cooking, it
tends
to lose some of the salty flavor - but it doesn't lose the sodium
content.
So then you might want to salt it again at the table, resulting in
more
sodium. If you salt food just as you're about to eat it you don't
have
an extra dose of it, at least! (Experienced cooks: any truth to
this
theory?)

Joyce

--
There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables
one

I mainly use salt for gargling whenever I have a sore throat, not for
cooking
or seasoning.

Old December 1st 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 28, 1:53*pm, "Storrmmee" wrote:
oh my, i can't imagine any of mine tolerating that, Lee"Winnie" wrote in message

Yes Rusty was a good nature cat and tolerated a lot from me.
Teeth brushing, pilling,claws clipping, fur brushing.
He complained loudly with the last two but let me
did it. He would nipped at me but never drew blood.
I didn't realize his good nature until I saw some of my friends' cats.
But then Rusty was a different cat at the vet clinic.
He had a sort of bad reputation there.
He yelled at the vet with his last breadth before going to RB.

See all our masters at:http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

When I sort through Rusty (RB) stuff, I came upon an old bottle of
saline nasal
spray from the pharmacy
I recalled once Rusty had a cold and the vet told me to use saline
spray on him.
But I don't remember how I sprayed into his nose or how he reacted to
it.

Old December 3rd 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
depends on the walmart, its the deit version of R.C. Cola, well one of
them, there is R. C.* royal Crown Cola* Diet R. C. which has salt, and
caf. then Diet, Rite, which has neither, Lee

Does anyone else remember a commercial for Royal Crown cola, circa 1967?
"Escape! Come on over to Royal Crown Cola! It's the mad, mad, mad, mad
cola! Escape! The one with the mad mad taste!"

I know I didn't make it up. I used to sit on the curb with a friend and
we'd sing the jingle. That just goes to show how far back advertising
affected youngsters. But I don't recall ever drinking RC. Apparently the
ad didn't affect my mother. LOL We never had soft drinks in the house
growing up and I don't drink them now.

I really don't like any cola, unless of course it has a generous shot of
bourbon or Southern Comfort in it :-)

Yowie

Old December 3rd 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Marina" wrote in message
On 27/11/2010 03:20, John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 22:16:56 +0000, bastXXXette wrote:

Marina wrote:

I didn't have soft drinks very often as a child, because I got
diabetes at age 5 and the only sugar-free soft drink on the Finnish
market at that time was a disgusting pineapple-flavoured drink that
think was sweetened with fructose. So it definitely wasn't a good
drink for a thirsty diabetic,

I thought fructose was as bad as, if not worse than, table sugar is for
diabetics. There weren't any artificial sweeteners available? When I was
a kid, there was saccharine, at least. Which was pretty gross, but was
at least an option if you couldn't have sugars.

Joyce

Fructose is sometimes suggested as an alternative to table sugar, for
those not wanting to use table sugar, artificial sweeteners, or to do
without a sweet taste. It has a sweeter taste than an equivalent amount
of sucrose, so you can get by with a lesser amount of it. If you use the
same quantity of fructose as you would of sucrose, however, it spikes
your blood sugar just as badly as sucrose will.

I've always been told it has a lower GI than sucrose, so it will not spike
your BG as quicly as ordinary sugar. (OK, they didn't talk about glycemic
index when I was a kid, but of slow, medium, and fast carbohydrates, but
it's the same basic idea.) I do use a teaspoon of it every day, with my
berries and plain yoghurt.

Fructose is pretty much one half of the sucrose "table sugar" molecule (the
other half being glucose). Therefore, gram for gram, or teaspoon for
teaspoon, fructose is almost twice as sweet as the equivalent amount of
suscrose, whilst delivering half the energy value (joules, calories)

Whilst sweeter than sucrose, the sensation of sweetness of fructose comes on
quicker and leaves quicker than the sweetness sensation of sucrose, and its
sweetness decreases on heating.

Yowie
(here endeth the chemistry lesson)

Old December 3rd 10, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

I really don't like any cola, unless of course it has a generous shot of
bourbon or Southern Comfort in it :-)

I've always hated sodas - colas, orange soda, grape. I wouldn't have
minded the taste of ginger ale, but my mother kind of ruined it for me
by giving it to me every time I had an upset stomach. I did drink
soda a lot as a kid because that was the only beverage available, which
only made me hate it more.

The first time I ever got drunk was from a rum and coke. (Well, more
than one. ) Still tasted like crap, but at least it was fun.

Joyce

--
A conservative is one who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.
-- Leo Rosten
Old December 3rd 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

Fructose is pretty much one half of the sucrose "table sugar" molecule (the
other half being glucose). Therefore, gram for gram, or teaspoon for
teaspoon, fructose is almost twice as sweet as the equivalent amount of
suscrose, whilst delivering half the energy value (joules, calories)

Whilst sweeter than sucrose, the sensation of sweetness of fructose comes on
quicker and leaves quicker than the sweetness sensation of sucrose, and its
sweetness decreases on heating.

Isn't high fructose corn syrup the really bad stuff that gets added
to an amazing number of processed foods?

Joyce

Old December 3rd 10, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 03/12/2010 03:52, Yowie wrote:

Fructose is pretty much one half of the sucrose "table sugar" molecule (the
other half being glucose). Therefore, gram for gram, or teaspoon for
teaspoon, fructose is almost twice as sweet as the equivalent amount of
suscrose, whilst delivering half the energy value (joules, calories)

Whilst sweeter than sucrose, the sensation of sweetness of fructose comes on
quicker and leaves quicker than the sweetness sensation of sucrose, and its
sweetness decreases on heating.

Yowie
(here endeth the chemistry lesson)

It also heightens the flavour of fruit and berries, which is why I like
it with my breakfast yoghurt and berries.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old December 5th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote in message
Isn't high fructose corn syrup the really bad stuff that gets added
to an amazing number of processed foods?

Adding fructose serves two purposes: as Marina points out, it heightens the
flavour of other things, particularly sweet things, and it acts as a
humectant, or, in other words, it stops stuff drying out and tasting stale.

Vicky