OT - Still

Old November 30th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default OT - Still

i gained a five spot just reading what she ate... my favorite sand after
tday is a good bun/roll, buttered, with alternating slices of turkey, ham,
chees, with the butter on the outside, turkey closest to it, then mayo
inside the other layers, nuke or don't its all good, anyone wonder why i
fight weight gain? Lee
"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
On Nov 29, 3:25 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
Oh, I eat like that *constantly* - I even get up in the middle of the
night
and fix myself a full plate of food - left-overs are not safe in this
house.
I drink a lot of whole milk too. And butter, lots of butter on baked
potatoes (although "real" mashed potatoes with lots of butter added are my
favorite). I *do* have problems with some foods that are naturally dry
because my mouth doesn't salivate (which is the first step in digestion,
so
that could be a big cause) - I usually just try to get it down as I would
pill by just taking a large drink to swallow it.

For instance since this morning I had a big bowl of cereal with whole
milk,
then a couple of hours after that I had a big plate of cold turkey with
gobs
of cranberry sauce and two Clausen pickles and a very large glass of whole
milk. Then for lunch I had a hotdog on a bun with mustard, ketchup, chili,
relish with another very large glass of whole milk. And now, an hour or so
later I'm considering going back up to the kitchen to scrounge around in
the
'fridge and pantry for something to eat again.

Actually, in the middle of this note I got myself craving home-made mashed
potatoes, so I stopped and put some potatoes on to boil!

That's why it's so baffling to me and my doctors (I think they think I'm
lying, but Ben is right there to back me up). It's just not being
translated into body fat for some reason.

Your calories are being transported somewhere else, to someone else,
ala Star Trek. Until recently, I would have said that they were coming
to me but I have had some much-needed weight loss recently.

On a serious note, I was happy to see that you like turkey so much
because it could help with your weight gain needs. Even though it is
lean it is quite easy to accompany it with all _kinds_ of rich foods.
I should know. But I see that you are already eating very well, so all
I can do is wish you luck.

--
Will in New Haven

Old November 30th 10, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

I have NEVER, eaten turkey too often, the DH debones it sometimes and rosts
the rolls, man its a perfect food, good hotsliced and cold sands, Lee
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
My daughter gave me two baggies of leftover turkey and I've been enjoying
a sandwich every day since, and will do so for another several days. My
sandwiches are a little simpler - sliced white bread, Miracle Whip,
lettuce and, of course, turkey (preferably white meat, although for eating
outside of sandwiches I prefer dark). When I was cooking Thanksgiving
dinner for the four of us, I'd always buy the biggest turkey I could find
so there'd be plenty left for sandwiches. To me, that's the best part.

--

Joy

A miracle is something that is impossible until it happens. - from "Kids
Rite the Darndest Things" by Art Linkletter

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never* have
enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang (stuffing,
mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice, turkey sandwiches
for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry
sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we ran out of stuffing) -
just plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce. If the myth about
triptophan were true I'd be asleep for the next year! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 30th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 29, 3:25*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
Oh, I eat like that *constantly* - I even get up in the middle of the night
and fix myself a full plate of food - left-overs are not safe in this house.
I drink a lot of whole milk too. *And butter, lots of butter on baked
potatoes (although "real" mashed potatoes with lots of butter added are my
favorite). *I *do* have problems with some foods that are naturally dry
because my mouth doesn't salivate (which is the first step in digestion, so
that could be a big cause) - I usually just try to get it down as I would a
pill by just taking a large drink to swallow it.

For instance since this morning I had a big bowl of cereal with whole milk,
then a couple of hours after that I had a big plate of cold turkey with gobs
of cranberry sauce and two Clausen pickles and a very large glass of whole
milk. *Then for lunch I had a hotdog on a bun with mustard, ketchup, chili,
relish with another very large glass of whole milk. *And now, an hour or so
later I'm considering going back up to the kitchen to scrounge around in the
'fridge and pantry for something to eat again.

Actually, in the middle of this note I got myself craving home-made mashed
potatoes, so I stopped and put some potatoes on to boil!

That's why it's so baffling to me and my doctors (I think they think I'm
lying, but Ben is right there to back me up). *It's just not being
translated into body fat for some reason.

Maybe your body is not digesting/absorbing all the nutrients from the
food.
I suspect that is my problem as I have been underweight all my life
despite
eating well.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

"Christine BA" wrote in message

29.11.2010 19:08, CatNipped kirjoitti:
Still eating turkey, and still enjoying it just as much - we *never* have
enough to freeze with me around (I've eaten the whole shebang (stuffing,
mashed taters, creamed peas, etc.) as left-overs twice, turkey sandwiches
for lunch and dinner (sliced bread, mayo, turkey, stuffing and cranberry
sauce), and now I'm eating the "dregs" (since we ran out of stuffing) -
just
plain turkey pieces with cranberry sauce. *If the myth about triptophan
were
true I'd be asleep for the next year! *;

It's good to hear that you're eating heartily. I hope you manage to gain
some weight too. It it were possible, I'd give you some of mine, as
there's waaaaay too much of me around... *

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

Old November 30th 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

I had my gall bladder taken out about 15 years ago - but I *do* drink plenty
of water because other things, except milk, taste vile in my mouth. But
this must be why, curious to me, my nutritionist kept stressing low-fat
foods.

--

"Yowie" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
Oh, I eat like that *constantly* - I even get up in the middle of the
night and fix myself a full plate of food - left-overs are not safe in
this house. I drink a lot of whole milk too. And butter, lots of butter
on baked potatoes (although "real" mashed potatoes with lots of butter
added are my favorite). I *do* have problems with some foods that are
naturally dry because my mouth doesn't salivate (which is the first step
in digestion, so that could be a big cause) - I usually just try to get
it down as I would a pill by just taking a large drink to swallow it.

For instance since this morning I had a big bowl of cereal with whole
milk, then a couple of hours after that I had a big plate of cold turkey
with gobs of cranberry sauce and two Clausen pickles and a very large
glass of whole milk. Then for lunch I had a hotdog on a bun with
mustard, ketchup, chili, relish with another very large glass of whole
milk. And now, an hour or so later I'm considering going back up to the
kitchen to scrounge around in the 'fridge and pantry for something to eat
again.

Actually, in the middle of this note I got myself craving home-made
mashed potatoes, so I stopped and put some potatoes on to boil!

That's why it's so baffling to me and my doctors (I think they think I'm
lying, but Ben is right there to back me up). It's just not being
translated into body fat for some reason.

Here's the 'Good oil' (sorry) on how fats are digested:

Dietary fats, like those in butter, meat or cooking oils, are basically
organic compounds composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. They consist
of complex molecules and are the most highly concentrated source of energy
in our daily diet. They belong to a class of substances called lipids.
Unfortunately, dietary fats do not dissolve in water, as a result they are
not easily broken down by fat-digesting enzymes (lipase) in the watery
content of the gastrointestinal tract. Thus fats tend to take longer to
digest than carbohydrates or proteins.

Although a small amount of lipase is secreted by Ebner's glands on the
tongue, and by the stomach, these digestive actions are not significant,
as almost no real breakdown of fat occurs until the fats reach the
duodenum in the form of gastric chyme.

Fat digestion and absorption requires that the complex fat molecules be
broken down into smaller more manageable molecules. This is done by mixing
the fat with the digestive enzyme lipase, which enters the duodenum from
the pancreas - the main source of enzymes for digesting fats and proteins.
Lipase chops up lipid molecules into fatty acid molecules and glycerol
molecules. However, because fat does not dissolve in water, the fat
molecules enter the duodenum in a congealed mass, which makes it
impossible for the pancreatic lipase enzymes to attack them, since lipase
is a water soluble enzyme and can only attack the surface of the fat
molecules. To overcome this problem the digestive system uses a substance
called bile, produced in the liver but stored in the gallbladder, which
enters the duodenum via the bile duct. Bile emulsifies fats - meaning, it
disperses them into small droplets which then become suspended in the
watery contents of the digestive tract. Emulsification allows lipase to
gain easier access to the fat molecules and thus accelerates their
breakdown and digestion.

Lipase and other digestive juices break down the fat molecules into fatty
acids and types of glycerol. Absorption of fat into the body, which takes
10-15 minutes, occurs in the villi - the millions of finger-like
projections which cover the walls of the small intestine. Inside each
villus is a series of lymph vessels (lacteals) and blood vessels
(capillaries). The lacteals absorb the fatty acids and glycerol into the
lymphatic system which eventually drains into the bloodstream. The fatty
acids are transported via the bloodstream to the membranes of adipose
cells or muscle cells, where they are either stored or oxidized for
energy. Since glucose rather than fat is the body's preferred source of
energy, and since only about 5 percent of absorbed fat (the glycerols) can
be converted into glucose, a significant proportion of digested fat is
typically stored as body fat in the adipose cells. The glycerol part is
absorbed by the liver and is either converted into glucose
(gluconeogenesis), and/or used to help breakdown glucose into energy
(glycolysis).

(stolen from
http://www.annecollins.com/digestive...on-of-fats.htm)

So, what I read from that something isn't working right in your digestion
of fats. I'd be checking on your gallbladder & bile duct for bile
production, your pancreas for lipase production, and whether your small
intestine lacteals are working properly.

And, as odd as it may sound, you need to drink water to get the degree of
emulsification necessary for the lipase to work effeciently, so
dehydration could be an issue too.

Yowie

Old November 30th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

No, but your post reminds me that I have to get in as many doctor
appointments as possible before the end of the year when my insurance runs
out, so thanks!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
have they checked for malabsorbtion, sp syndrome, DH's mother has this,
not sure how it works or what fixes it, but it really sounds like her
deal, Lee

Old December 1st 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I had my gall bladder taken out about 15 years ago - but I *do* drink
plenty of water because other things, except milk, taste vile in my mouth.
But this must be why, curious to me, my nutritionist kept stressing low-fat
foods.

That makes a butt-load of sense.

You can't digest fats, and stuff high in fat will make you ill (I am not an
expert, but eating food high in fat may even limit the digestion of other
foods you'd otherwise have no problem if eaten in conjuntion with fatty
foods. Full cream milk is no better for you, if you don't have a gall
bladder, than skim milk, and may actually be making you lose weight as its
interferring with the digestion of the good stuff which is in the non-fat
portion of whole milk))

So, you need to get your energy requirements not from fat but from carbs and
to a lesser extent, protein. And anything with some fat in it you *do* eat
(like avacado) you need to chew well, so as to give the lipase in your mouth
ans stomach chance to work.

Yowie

Old December 1st 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

That makes perfect sense to me, thank you for the advice. I just "found
out" today that the calcium pill I (should be but haven't lately) take every
day. It's only absorbed with other food. That it really doesn't get
absorbed by the body. The human body is a strange and puzzling contraption
and mine's stranger than most! ;

As I said, I've been neglecting, lately, taking my "supplements". The
nutritionist told me to use pre-natal vitamins, (I was already taking a
woman's vitamins and the rest of this she approved) Calcium tablets, Omega 3
fish oil and milk thistle. But each one of those are what my mother used to
call "horse pills" because they so large - also they'll tend to make me a
bit nauseated taking them on an empty stomach. I tell myself I'll take them
after breakfast, but I've just been forgetting. I've had such a change in
lifestyle, going from a very laborious job and obsessive cleaning to being
essentially bed-ridden. When that happened I found that my "routine" for
the day is not routine any more.

Old December 2nd 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I take most of my pills with my breakfast. I dump the pills on my plate and
eat a couple of bites, take a pill, eat a couple more bites, take another
pill, etc. It seems to make it less of a chore, and in many cases makes
them work better or avoids side effects. It also makes it easier to
remember to take them.

Of course, it's necessary to check the instructions with each one, because
some need to be taken on an empty stomach. I once had one that had to be
taken either at least one hour before or two hours after a meal. That was a
real pain. I was really glad to stop taking those.

Incidentally, whether or not fat causes a problem after gall bladder surgery
depends on the individual. I've know people who couldn't eat any fat at all
after such surgery. OTOH, I can eat whatever I want. Of course, I never
ate a lot of fat. For instance, I cut the fat off of meat and remove the
skin from the chicken, simply because I don't like the taste. However, I do
use butter or margarine and regular salad dressing, and I eat a fair amount
of cheese and olives.

Joy

Joy

Old December 2nd 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Very good idea! I'll also keep them someplace visible (as much as I hate
clutter) so I'll remember them.

Of course, it's necessary to check the instructions with each one, because
some need to be taken on an empty stomach. I once had one that had to be
taken either at least one hour before or two hours after a meal. That was
a real pain. I was really glad to stop taking those.

Incidentally, whether or not fat causes a problem after gall bladder
surgery depends on the individual. I've know people who couldn't eat any
fat at all after such surgery. OTOH, I can eat whatever I want. Of
course, I never ate a lot of fat. For instance, I cut the fat off of meat
and remove the skin from the chicken, simply because I don't like the
taste. However, I do use butter or margarine and regular salad dressing,
and I eat a fair amount of cheese and olives.

I never had a problem eating fat after my gallbladder removal - I wasn't
even aware that there *could* be a problem. I like the fat on steaks and
chicken skins - a *lot*, so I'm glad they don't cause me problems.