OT - Sweeteners

Old December 3rd 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - Sweeteners

With all the food and nutrition topics I got to wondering. First we heard
that saccharin was bad that we should use Equal. Then Equal was declared
bad and we should use Splenda. Now Splenda is being blamed from everything
from gout to brain tumors. Now we're seeing commercials about "Truvia"
which is a stevia extract and are told it's all natural and good to use.

Ideas, thoughts, comments? Has anyone here tried it? Does it taste like
sugar or just another sugar substitute?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 3rd 10, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when CatNipped wrote:
First we heard that saccharin was bad that we should use Equal. Then
Equal was declared bad and we should use Splenda. Now Splenda is
being blamed from everything from gout to brain tumors. Now
we're seeing commercials about "Truvia" which is a stevia extract and are
told it's all natural and good to
use.

Ideas, thoughts, comments?

I say we should go back to good ol' cyclamates (grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old December 3rd 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

have had liquid stevia, but only tasted this stuff at sams on strawberries,
too sweet, nutrea sweet sends me to the er in meare minutes from ingestion,
so i guess, picks you poision and take your chances, Lee

Old December 3rd 10, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
With all the food and nutrition topics I got to wondering. First we heard
that saccharin was bad that we should use Equal. Then Equal was declared
bad and we should use Splenda. Now Splenda is being blamed from everything
from gout to brain tumors. Now we're seeing commercials about "Truvia"
which is a stevia extract and are told it's all natural and good to use.

Ideas, thoughts, comments? Has anyone here tried it? Does it taste like
sugar or just another sugar substitute?

Stevia gave me severe bladder cramps. It took two months (of
extreme pain!) to figure it out. Then afterward, I learned a
friend of mine had the same reaction to the stuff.

I don't use it. Don't see anything wrong with Splenda,
personally, but I don't eat a whole lot of sweet stuff to start with.

Deborah

--

"Of all the forms of inequality, injustice in health care is the
most shocking and inhumane."-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old December 3rd 10, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Phoenix wrote:

Stevia gave me severe bladder cramps. It took two months (of
extreme pain!) to figure it out. Then afterward, I learned a
friend of mine had the same reaction to the stuff.

Wow! I hadn't heard about that. Sorry you had such a terrible
reaction.

I've been using it for several years with no ill effects. Well,
now I'm wondering if any of the various minor but annoying aches
and pains which I've been blaming on age could have any connection
to stevia. Hmm...

I don't like it in everything. I drink black tea with milk and a
sweetener, and I really tried to get used to it with stevia, but it
just didn't work. Not a good combo, IMO. On the other hand, I think
it works great to sweeten plain yogurt, and I eat that every day.

Joyce

--
I don't know that I will ever trust again
It's a price I must pay for all my sins
Old December 3rd 10, 08:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Dec 2, 8:41*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
With all the food and nutrition topics I got to wondering. *First we heard
that saccharin was bad that we should use Equal. *Then Equal was declared
bad and we should use Splenda. *Now Splenda is being blamed from everything
from gout to brain tumors. *Now we're seeing commercials about "Truvia"
which is a stevia extract and are told it's all natural and good to use.

Ideas, thoughts, comments? *Has anyone here tried it? *Does it taste like
sugar or just another sugar substitute?

Stevia products vary quite a bit in flavor and I have tried them all.
The one that tastes closest to sugar is Sun Crystals, which is a blend
of Stevia and sugar. It doesn't have the licorice aftertaste some
Stevia products have and it is ok for a low carb lifestyle. And much
better than the poisons that are Aspartame (special thanks to Donald
Rumsfeld sarcasm) and Splenda.
Old December 3rd 10, 08:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Dec 3, 2:30*am, catlady wrote:
[...]

I forgot to add it's available at both Target and Walmart. I buy it in
a 1 lb bag which is cheaper than the individual packets.
Old December 3rd 10, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Dec 2, 9:41*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
With all the food and nutrition topics I got to wondering. *First we heard
that saccharin was bad that we should use Equal. *Then Equal was declared
bad and we should use Splenda. *Now Splenda is being blamed from everything
from gout to brain tumors. *Now we're seeing commercials about "Truvia"
which is a stevia extract and are told it's all natural and good to use.

Ideas, thoughts, comments? *Has anyone here tried it? *Does it taste like
sugar or just another sugar substitute?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Honestly, hon, it's just like anything else. Some people do well with
it, and some don't. I, for one, have used artificial sweetners since
the 60s, in great quantities. I've used them ALL, and have never had
a problem. Okay, the '-itols' do cause gastro-intestinal problems,
but so does too much Equal. (much to my dismay).

I'm in my 50s now, with no real problems that could be caused by my
excessive use of artificial sweetners. Apparently I'm one of the
lucky ones.

Splenda is awesome. I can cook with it (with some modifications), but
the biggest thing I can note is that the brown sugar version of
Splenda is AWESOME in oatmeal. Yum. Most of the time I don't cook
with it, though, preferring to use it for making Kool-aid or putting
into my coffee. That's all I can say.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old December 3rd 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Dec 2, 9:41*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
With all the food and nutrition topics I got to wondering. *First we heard
that saccharin was bad that we should use Equal. *Then Equal was declared
bad and we should use Splenda. *Now Splenda is being blamed from everything
from gout to brain tumors. *Now we're seeing commercials about "Truvia"
which is a stevia extract and are told it's all natural and good to use.

Ideas, thoughts, comments? *Has anyone here tried it? *Does it taste like
sugar or just another sugar substitute?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

I used to have a very sweet tooth. Since I was warned to watch my
sugar intake, I have cut back on my use of sugar.
Decided not to use any artificial sweetener.
I have switched to drinking only Chinese and herbal tea which
I have always drunk straight .
Used to add 3 packets of sugar and milk to my tea.
I have since also found out I am lactose intolerant.
Sometimes I add a touch of honey to my oatmeal.
I make my hot chocolate from cocoa powder and soy milk.
Again little or no sugar. I use fruit like berries to sweeten
plain yogurt. My taste buds have adjusted

Oh I still have a piece of cake once in a while.
But I tried to take a walk before or after my sweet treat to
work it off. Not that I have to watch my weight since,
like my Rusty (RB),I have been underweight all my life.
Old December 3rd 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

LOL - even when I was a teenager we joked about being preserved for 100
years past our death from all the preservatives we ate and it's almost 10
times worse now unless you deliberately shop for organic products (something
I had to learn decades ago since my children had ADHD (which is basically an
allergy to natural and man-made preservatives).