Catfoods

Old October 3rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

Default Catfoods

Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many bags
at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or some other
grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of Purina. She gets a
meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like leaving canned food out
all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and very boney, starved, so I'd
like to keep food in front of her as much as possible until she gains some
weight. What dry food do you cat owners recommend?

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of

Old October 4th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
cybercat

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and very
boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
recommend?

Kelly,

Bless you for taking in this poor little cat. I keep Purina Pro 1 for my
skinny little cat, who just does not seem too interested in any food. She
gets canned every 12 hours, but rarely finishes it, so I keep dry out in
case it will tempt her. As far as protein content, I don't think dry foods
vary too much in this regard.

Kudos to you for recognizing that dry is not the way to go, for most
purposes. Hope your new kitty fattens up soon.

Old October 4th 09, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Netmask[_2_]

I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500
Old October 4th 09, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to like
the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her food
and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.

Old October 4th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"Netmask" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
recommend?

I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

I'll look into this food. The name is familiar. Thanks for the
recommendation.

Old October 5th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
recommend?

Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.

Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.

For the record, my cat's a carbivore, I've been working for years to
change that cattitude

jmc
Old October 5th 09, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
cyberpurrs

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (10/3/2009 6:59 PM):
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much as
possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat owners
recommend?

Look for Wellness Core, I don't think that has any grains. If you can
find a specialty pet store, they'll have more varieties.

Evo is also good, though my cat won't touch it.

I think you hit on an important factor here--they have to want to eat the
food, esp. the skinny ones! Gracie gets what she wants because she tips the
scale at 7.5 lbs and does not like many foods.

Old October 5th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Netmask[_2_]

Netmask wrote:
Kelly Greene wrote:
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much
as possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat
owners recommend?

I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
They really have disgusting olfaction desires....
Old October 5th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (10/5/2009 12:30 AM):
Netmask wrote:
Kelly Greene wrote:
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at
many bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always
corn or some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a
bag of Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I
don't like leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that
wandered in and very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in
front of her as much as possible until she gains some weight. What
dry food do you cat owners recommend?

I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
They really have disgusting olfaction desires....

Mine won't eat real meat in any form, but loves parmesan cheese.

jmc
Old October 5th 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, cyberpurrs exclaimed (10/4/2009 11:29 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message
[...]

Yea. Mine's a bit more difficult though - she really CANT have any dry
food, because she'll get cystitis attacks. Even high quality stuff.

So she gets all canned, but the specialty store brands are peppered with
Fancy Feast, and most are not grain free, so at least I know she's
eating. She's gained some weight this way and didn't have a cystitis
attack until I relented and started to add some dry back into her diet.

jmc