Catfoods

Old October 8th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

Default Catfoods

"Rene" wrote in message

Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to
like
the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her
food
and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.

Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
(usually corn) is what's used.

A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
lactose removed and some added nutrients.

Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
vomit.

--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of

Old October 8th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"Rene" wrote in message
Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
(usually corn) is what's used.

A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
lactose removed and some added nutrients.

I forgot to include these links:

Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article):
http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php

I'm going to check both out right now. :0)

Old October 8th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Rene S

Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
vomit.

Most cats are actually lactose intolerant and can get diarrhea and/or
vomiting from milk.
Old October 8th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
cybercat

"Kelly Greene" wrote

Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
vomit.

Milk used to give a couple of my cats the runs.

Old October 8th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"Netmask" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:

"Netmask" wrote in message
Netmask wrote:
Kelly Greene wrote:
Which dry cat foods have the highest content of meat? I looked at many
bags at PetsMart this week and the second ingredient is always corn or
some other grain. Cats are not grainavores. I did pick up a bag of
Purina. She gets a meaty canned food in the evening but I don't like
leaving canned food out all day. She's a new cat that wandered in and
very boney, starved, so I'd like to keep food in front of her as much
as possible until she gains some weight. What dry food do you cat
owners recommend?

I use only EVO http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

My 5 month old eats EVO and won't eat red meat but loves an uncooked
chicken drumstick (brings out the little hunter in him LOL to watch).
Likes fish and a tiny bit of Gorgonzola cheese, smellier the better.
They really have disgusting olfaction desires....

I got online and located a store not too far away that sells EVO. This
cat eats anything put in her food bowl. She's not fussy

One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D

I'm feeding a feral "Felix" cat that is grateful for anything and has made
friends with Meko via the lattice enclosure - they sit and watch each
other all day. Unfortunately I can't let Meko outside as the area is rife
with FIV so it is a case of look don't touch!!!

Our area is also well known for communicable cat and dog diseases. I
believe it's mainly because people come out to the countryside and dump
unwanted pets, some of them quite sick. It's a very sad situation.

It is also quite touching that "Felix" sleeps almost on the grave of my
last Burmese cat -

Your deceased cat must be buried in a place cats like, may he or she rest in
peace.

Old October 8th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"MLB" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:

One of my last cats was in love with potato chips. All kinds. :-D

TuTu likes a taste of potato chip too. But I make sure it is only a small
taste. IMHO it is the salt they crave. MLB

That's what I suspected. Some were eaten and others were licked all over but
not consumed. :0)

Old October 8th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Kelly Greene" wrote
I'm going to look at the Wellness Core also. Some cats will eat a dry
food if you mix some canned in with it. I never had a cat refuse a dry
food when mixed with a little warm fat-free milk and canned cat-food. I
would also add some natural fats to their dinner when I cooked meat. They
all had shiny coats.

Adding fat from cooking is a great idea! If you ever put up any pictures
of your kitties please post a link here, I'd love to see them.

I will definitely do that. :0)

Old October 8th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Bill Graham

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Rene" wrote in message

Thank you. If canned is better I can feed her canned only. She seems to
like
the dry food also. I'm adding a 1/2 tsp of Essential Fatty Acids to her
food
and she gets a little fat free milk (all we use here) daily.

Unfortunately, you won't find a dry food with meat as the main
ingredient. Dry food needs a "binder" to hold it together, and grain
(usually corn) is what's used.

A grain-free canned food is best. If you're looking for a higher-
calorie wet food, try something like Innova Evo. IMO I wouldn't feed
cow's milk to her. You can buy "cat's milk" at a store that has the
lactose removed and some added nutrients.

Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does she
vomit.

My B-K loves it. Chocolate milk shakes, too. He's the one I picked up in a
Burger King parking lot. He can drink a whole glassful without spilling a
drop. He sticks his paw down in the glass, and then licks it off.

Old October 9th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Bill Graham

"Rene" wrote in message

[...]

The chief advantage of dry food is that it will keep for several days
without going bad, so if you have to leave your cats alone for some period
of time, like a week or so, you can leave them lots of dry food and they
will be able to survive until you get back. You can also leave a dripping
faucet over a bowl so they will have water to drink while you are gone. Our
cats are outside cats, so they can also go to the neighbors houses for food,
but it is nice that they can eat their own food while we visit my daughter
in another state.

Old October 11th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats
Kelly Greene

"Rene S" wrote in message

Thanks. Is lactose harmful to cats? She doesn't have the runs nor does
she
vomit.

Most cats are actually lactose intolerant and can get diarrhea and/or
vomiting from milk.

She likes milk and neither vomits or has loose bowels from it.