Dumped Cats, Again

Old July 5th 04, 05:24 PM
Sherry

Default Dumped Cats, Again

I am so angry and frustrated. I went outside this a.m. and heard a funny sound,
looked around, and there are TWO kittens in the flowerbed. They are both gray.
One is longhaired. They look to be in good shape, except for fleas, ticks and
stickers, and are *very* well socialized.
Remember the closest house to me is 1/2 mile and I already know they didn't
come from there. Somebody deliberately brought them up the drive and dumped
them, probably last night.
I can't keep them. I can't really even take them to the shelter and expect them
to be adopted any time soon. They have 90 cats already and are about to cull
and take some to the city pound for euthanasia.
They're so cute. It's so sad.

Sherry
Old July 5th 04, 06:23 PM
JoJo

Sherry,

Isn't there a no kill shelter in your area? I guess we're lucky - Animal
Friends has ALWAYS been no-kill. The city then decided to try to go no-kill
by year 2005 w/remaining two shelters (Humane Society and Animal Rescue
League) - unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen. So far I think
only HS has gone no-kill.

I could not give up an animal to a kill shelter - not anymore. I found a
stray dog once, went around knocking on doors, nobody knew where it came
from - I called AF but there's a 6 month waiting list, I couldn't keep her
that long. My dog's weren't thrilled w/her and she was an escape artist - I
saw her climb my fenced in yard. So I took her to ARL - I cried my eyes
out, they thought I was giving up my own dog. But I knew what would happen
if nobody wanted her. They would keep her as long as they didn't need the
room. They said I could call down there, but the only thing they would ever
tell me is if she was still there or not. I only called twice, she was
still there - I cried every time I got off the phone. I didn't have the
heart to call back again it was too upsetting.

I'm too much of a softy. I wish I could offer you a solution. Can you
place ads in local paper, with small adoption fee? (I don't like "free to
good homes" - sometimes end up w/irresponsible owners, I figure if they are
willing to pay fee they're more responsible (you can always donate "fee" to
local shelter if you want).

Best of luck, I hope you can find them homes.

JoJo

Old July 5th 04, 08:03 PM
Sherry

Sherry

You can't KEEP them, but you could foster them......

ROFL. God love ya, Karen.
Like I "fostered" Happy.

Sherry

Old July 5th 04, 08:17 PM
Sherry

Sherry,

Isn't there a no kill shelter in your area?

No, just us and the municipal pound. We don't even have facilities to
euthanize, but we would take the ill or injured or feral cats to the municipal
pound for euthanization. We never had healthy adoptables killed before this
year. There are too many. There is a finite amount of space and foster space,
and we've reached it. I can call in a marker and get these kittens space,
that's no problem and insist they don't euthanize them. That's no problem
either. But the problem is *I know* that in order for *them* to be able to
stay, two more are probably going to die.
It's just so depressing. First I'm going to make a last-ditch effort and try to
persuade my MIL. She only has two cats. Then I'm going to make a poster with
picture and hang up in the post office. We don't have house-to-house mail
delivery so everybody in town goes to the post office every day.
Really really loud purrs needed.

Sherry