How to stop cats killing?

Old March 28th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Is muzzling necessarily a death sentence?

"Ellie Bentley" wrote in message
Buddy wrote:
Please note that I have not muzzled my cats and am not intending to. I

have only mentioned muzzling to get some creative ideas rolling.

Saying that putting a muzzle on a cat IS "giving it a death sentence"
might be a bit strong, don't you think? After all, it depends on the
circumstances. It COULD be a death sentence in a CERTAIN circumstance
perhaps. On the other hand, other factors would need to be kept in
mind. Cats have claws and they certainly know how to use them when
confronted. They also have well developed legs and know to use them
when it is best to get to hell away from an enemy. Dogs are often
muzzled and, what is more, there are different kinds of muzzles. Some
muzzles allows creatures to open their mouths and pant . . . but not to
be able to bite..

But dogs are never supposed to be left unattended with a muzzle on . If a
cat was sick it could choke.
Alison

Old March 28th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Sonic collars for cats.

Alison wrote:
Sonic collars can reduce the number of prey caught by cats, especially
birds.
They are recommended by the Feline Advisory Bureau (UK).

Alison, THANKS VERY MUCH. This is a move in the right direction. I
shall go and google and find out about them.

Ellie.

Old March 28th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Re. What's a "fisher"?

A cat is no match for a fisher, a motor vehicle, or a schmuck with a gun.

Justin L wrote:
ok, I get the vehicle, and the schmuck, but I don't get the fisher?

people that fish?

are fishers big cat killers??

They seem like such a peaceful bunch..

Justin, thanks for asking the question. It had me stumped too. In my
part of the world we don't know this word "fisher". (Fishermen,
kingfishers, fissures, yes.)

Ryan, please enlighten us.

Old March 28th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Re. Why a harness and leach aren't an option.

The harness and leash aren't an option but I am concerned that any other
suggestion doesn't, as you say, pose a danger to them.

Ryan Robbins wrote:
Why are they not an option?

I moved to a very sparsely populated area of countryside full of fields,
woods, forests, streams, and waterfalls. It's paradise for human AND
cats (and dogs, and all other creatures who love to roam free). The
cats delight in this countryside as much as we do. Each morning when we
walk the half-mile down the hillside through the fields to collect the
mail from the nearest road the cats bound along with us, playing tag,
ambushing each other, all the way there and all the way back. You only
have to see their joy in this freedom to play to understand why they
would hate the harness and leash. If we were living in the centre of a
city, or even a town, I might well be inclined to use the harness and
leash. (I did, many years ago, when I lived in a high-rise.)

I hope you understand.
Old March 28th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Freedom of Imagination.

Cat Protector wrote:
How about we put a muzzle on some humans who even think of such a bad
suggestion of muzzling a cat?

Oh, come on. Freedom of Thought, Freedom of Hypothesis, Freedom of
Imagination: these are vital. Otherwise we would never have got man
upon the moon! How do you think the Sonic Collar came to be invented?

Old March 28th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Justin L wrote:
ok, I get the vehicle, and the schmuck, but I don't get the fisher?

people that fish?

are fishers big cat killers??

They seem like such a peaceful bunch..

Justin, thanks for asking the question. It had me stumped too. In my
part of the world we don't know this word "fisher". (Fishermen,
kingfishers, fissures, yes.)

Ryan, please enlighten us.

A type of weasel. MLB

Old March 28th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Natural for cats to race free.

deci wrote in message ...
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:39:24 GMT, "Ryan Robbins"
wrote:

A cat is no match for a fisher, a motor vehicle, or a schmuck with a gun.

Neither am I, my daughter or my wife - So should we all stay in or
wear leashes?

We're more intelligent than cats. At least some of us are.

Old March 28th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Justin L" wrote in message

ok, I get the vehicle, and the schmuck, but I don't get the fisher?

people that fish?

are fishers big cat killers??

They seem like such a peaceful bunch..

It is a wild animal that is known to prey on cats. It's a rather nasty
animal, actually.

Old March 28th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Cat Protector wrote:
How about we put a muzzle on some humans who even think of such a bad
suggestion of muzzling a cat?

Oh, come on. Freedom of Thought, Freedom of Hypothesis, Freedom of
Imagination: these are vital. Otherwise we would never have got man
upon the moon! How do you think the Sonic Collar came to be invented?

Let us know if the sonic collars work. I'm certainly interested. Glad your
cats (and family!!) have such a nice place to play outside.

Bells are still a possibility. I have a couple of cats who would never
figure out how to keep the bells silent.

The bells or sonic collars probably won't prevent all killings, but if they
reduce the number significantly you should be pleased.

(But remember, there are lots more mice where those came from. If you've
ever had a mouse infested house, you wouldn't mind having the cats kill
them. My kitty is scared of mice - if they move too fast she runs away!!
Her mother obviously didn't have time to teach her to be a good mouser.
Birds I would feel bad about, but cats have a lot harder time catching
them.)

-- maryjane