I have to post this - OT?

Old September 16th 04, 09:52 PM
Pat

Default I have to post this - OT?

It's not entirely OT, since many of our cats eat tuna.
Please pass it on to your friends if you feel so inclined.
Thanks.

________________________

Seven million dead dolphins. It's a number almost too
large to comprehend. But that's how many dolphins have
died since the late 1950's from being caught in fishing
nets to ultimately drown or suffer severe injuries.
Dolphins, one of the most intelligent marine mammals,
were tracked by fishermen, tangled in nets, and left to
die, all for the tuna industry.

We need your help today to prevent this senseless
slaughter again: http://www.care2.com/go/z/17142

For reasons unknown to scientists, dolphins are often
accompanied by substantial schools of large, mature
yellowfin tuna. So fisherman trying to catch tuna look
for dolphins first. Another fact about dolphins: they are
mammals, just like we are - they breathe air, and so
have to swim to the surface of the water periodically to
breathe. But this means that when fishermen chase them
to the point of exhaustion to make the tuna beneath them
easier to catch, the dolphins are then caught in the
fishing nets and dragged beneath the water, where they
suffocate and drown.

Dolphins have suffered horrible deaths for the sake of
catching tuna, and then they are tossed aside.
Please help us protect dolphins today:
http://www.care2.com/go/z/17142

In the past, tuna caught through the targeting of dolphins
could not carry the "dolphin-safe" label. But federal
officials recently tried to weaken the definition of the
dolphin-safe label on tuna cans. This action would
devastate dolphin populations.

Help us ensure that our government makes the right
decision to protect dolphins. Our partner, Defenders
of Wildlife, has a special team of experts working with
Congressional offices to prevent the senseless
slaughter of dolphins. But the international fishing
industry is powerful. We need your support to help us
protect dolphins from again dying in unprecedented numbers.

You can help today by "adopting" a dolphin. When you
adopt a dolphin, you will help Defenders of Wildlife
continue their critical legal, legislative and grassroots
efforts against the powerful fishing industry to protect
the "dolphin-safe" label and fight against deadly fishing
practices. Please adopt one of these magnificent
creatures today: http://www.care2.com/go/z/17142

If you believe dolphins are as special as I do, and that
these intelligent creatures deserve to be protected from
careless fishing practices, please give generously to help
Defenders of Wildlife strengthen efforts to ensure
dolphins swim freely.

Thank you for caring,

Lisa Sock
Care2 & ThePetitionSite

P.S. Defenders of Wildlife recently won an important court
case against special interests that were trying to weaken
America's "dolphin safe" tuna labeling laws. But they'll be
back and so will we. Help keep dolphins safe by "adopting"
a dolphin today: http://www.care2.com/go/z/17142

Old September 17th 04, 10:31 AM
Sherry

P.S. Defenders of Wildlife recently won an important court
case against special interests that were trying to weaken
America's "dolphin safe" tuna labeling laws. But they'll be
back and so will we. Help keep dolphins safe by "adopting"
a dolphin today: http://www.care2.com/go/z/17142

Defenders is a wonderful organization. I have supported them for quite some
time. Their cause that is nearest and dearest to my heart is the battle to stop
the aerial killing of Alaskan wolves.

Sherry