My cats have never been out

Old June 20th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

Default My cats have never been out

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:50:54 -0700, bookie wrote:

christ where were you? in my life I think i have seen about 3 dead cats
on the road, no more than that

North Whatcom County, Washington state... a rural, largely wooded area
full of careless hicks who drive too fast for the road conditions. One
day about a week ago I saw a particularly gruesome sight. Someone in a
big pickup truck passed me going 20 miles over the speed limit, and
seconds later, when I rounded a curve, I saw that he had just hit a cat,
and it was convulsing in the middle of the lane. I got out to try to
help it, but it was dead, with a broken spine and a crushed skull. And
it was a nursing queen, probably a feral with a litter hidden in a shed
or the back seat of an old car.

I suspect you are deluding yourself by thinking that England is safer and
more enlightened. You have told me yourself about the nasty/hostile/
alienated twerps you have to try to teach... how do they amuse themselves
on weekends? Sheelagh posted her saga about the kids with a BB gun who
shot her cat, so we know that's one of the ways. And what about your
Suffolk neighbor, the wholesome-looking young man who was recently
unmasked as a pedophile chat-room impresario? We live in a sick,
demented, cruel world, Bookie, and your corner of it is not exempt. I
think you are confusing an extended run of good luck with actually
knowing what you are talking about.

Do you remember the person who posted under the name "I am so sad" a
couple of weeks ago? She was distraught because her cat had been killed
by a car. The cat was her main companion in life and the main reason she
looked forward to getting home from work.

If you feel a need to urge people to let their cats go outdoors, you had
better be prepared to handle the grief and resentment when someone's
precious pet gets killed because the owner followed your advice.

Charlie

Old June 21st 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"bookie" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 20 Jun, 05:48, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"bookie" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 20 Jun, 00:33, Patty wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:40:41 -0500, Lynne wrote:
on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:37:19 GMT, Patty
wrote:

Ripped my curtains to shreds, knocked everything of the top of the
cupboards (you know, the space between the ceiling and the top of
the
kitchen cupboard?), knocked anything on a flat surface off breaking
many items (even the top of the refrigerator). When I came home
from
work one day and found him dangling from the top of the curtain rod
in
the living room (the windows are nearly ceiling height, (I live in
an
old home and the ceilings are 9 feet off the floor),

And by the way, I recommend that you never get another kitten.
Stick
adult cats. None of the above sounds unusual to me...

Now had you put away the breakables and trimmed his nails, you could
have
saved some of your prized possessions. To toss him outdoors for
being
kitten and then call him 'fixed' is just illogical as hell.

Yes, and in this newsgroup your opinion is the only one that should be
followed.

Patty
I said it once before. When people attack each other for a different
opinion it's time to leave and so I will.- Hide quoted text -

don't leave, they are generally ****s who abuse you for allowing your
cat to go otuside (as nature requires). Just because you do not allow
your paranoid fear of everythign outdoors stops you from allowing your
cat to have a decent and fulfilled outdoors does not mean they have
the right to abuse you

**** 'em basically
when you cat was going stir crazy indoors, as most cats would, you did
the right things and allowed him access outside, you did not 'boot him
out' as one of the cretins above has stated (how much can these peolpe
get the wrong end fo thestick?) you just allowed him access to the
outside, same as i do for mine because they are used to the outside
and I believe and feel that it would be downright cruel to keep them
in when they are crying to get out

just ignore them, they are a bunch of screwed up narrow minded
witches, who won't accept that other people have different opinions or
way of life to them, typical yanks
bookie

You know, Bookie, you keep rattling on about how narrow minded we are and
about how we won't accept anyone else's opinions -- but I really can't
think
of anyone who has displayed that tendency more strongly than you have. I
don't know what has happened to cause you to have such contempt and
hatred
(and possibly envy) of everything American, but you are simply placing
*your
own* narrow minded views on display. I have never felt the type of
antagonism you exhibit for *any* group -- no nationality, race,
ethnicity,
or religion -- and I surely hope I never do. It's really a sad
commentary
on your life. You have already told us that none of us are worthy for
you
to wipe your feet on. But, then, why would we want to aspire to that
pinnacle? And, for that matter, why would want to wipe your feet on
anyone?
Why not sit down and read your own words, then see how they must sound to
others (and not just to Americans). I have many friends of different
nationalities, but you seem to have the most warped sense of the world of
anyone I have come in contact with. Surely you know better than to think
that everyone in the U.S. favors our foreign policy or that we are all
such
disgusting slugs as you seem to think.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

so funny how you all get so worked up about a simple comment about you
country, keep 'em coming!

I'm not "all worked up" about this and only responded after you made
repeated comments. Does it bother me? Not at all. I simply think you have
made yourself look rather idiotic, and those of use who formerly were
willing to help you will probably just ignore your remarks from now on.

MaryL

Old June 21st 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 21 Jun, 00:38, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"bookie" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 20 Jun, 05:48, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"bookie" wrote in message

roups.com...

wrote:

[...]

i don't need or want your help, why would I?

Old June 21st 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 20 Jun, 22:17, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:
[...]

animals and people die, that is the sad fact of life, and I am not
going to let paranoia aboiut the outside world cause me to restrict my
cats freedom and access to my garden (which is only possible when i am
here anyway as we have no cat flap).
just because a death causes people pain and grief do you then think
that NOONE shodl be allowed outside for fear of comign to some harm?
what about people's kids or other loved ones? they may get run over
too so should they also stay inside, scared of the terrors of the
outside world? They should be ok travelling in a car thought shouldn't
they? OH NO! they may be involved in a fatal car crash where they die
before the fireman can cut them oout off their vehicles!!!

for christ's sake, get a grip, there are hazards everywhere for all of
us, i never said that there were none at all here inthe UK just that
we do not have so many wild animals who would prey on our cats and
some of our villages etc are very rural and quiet with very narrow
country lanes which make driving fast VERY difficult. We all face
hazards whenever we go out, but you have to weigh the risk of being
run over or mugged or whatever weith the need or desire to go outside
and in the majority of places inthe UK that risk is VERY VERY small.

as for guns inthis country i a not going to go that road again but we
do not have a massive gun culture here, you are not allowed to own a
gun unless you have a liocence to do so, and kids with illegal guns in
their possession are of a certain type who carry them for personal
protection because of the types of shady individuals they liek to do
business with (ie drug dealers). Since I have had to deal with these
types of teenagers in school i know this, they do not waste bullets
and energy shooting at peoples pets, just not cool intheir environment
in cities, but of course you know since you knwo all about urban youth
culture in britain today don't you?
yes there are instances of some retards taking pops at animals but
these are not common as apart form in a few environments (inner
cities) it is very hard to get hold of a gun without a licence, and
those who do have unlicenced firearms use them for 'business' and
personal protection in the urban environment they live in whilst going
about their daily business, NOT for shooting at cats. We do nto have
'rednecks' in this country who shoot at animals on daddy's farm cos
they are too stupid to think or anything better to do as you seem to
have in your country, we have a very different demographic here,
violence tends to be directed more at other young people in othergangs
in urban areas.

you have no idea what the situation is here in the UK do you? you
really are not in a position to advise the OP whether she should allow
her cats outside as you have no idea what it is like in this country
at all do you? so don't comment, simple
bookie

Old June 21st 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Ryan Robbins wrote:

Yeah -- don't let them out. Cats don't enjoy being maimed or killed. Nor do
the owners who supposedly love them.

Either buy a harness and leash and walk with the cats, or build a solid
outdoor enclosure for them.

Right on, Ryan. That's about what I said about 100 posts ago!

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old June 21st 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 21 Jun, 01:37, "barb" wrote:
Ryan Robbins wrote:

Yeah -- don't let them out. Cats don't enjoy being maimed or killed. Nor do
the owners who supposedly love them.

Either buy a harness and leash and walk with the cats, or build a solid
outdoor enclosure for them.

Right on, Ryan. That's about what I said about 100 posts ago!

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

yeah and stay indoors yourselves too cos you never know whether you
may get hit by a car crossing the road or squashed by a falling bit of
plane fusilage, or perhaps attacked and chopped to death by a gang of
crazed knifemen, or blown up by a bunch of arabian terrorists, or set
fire to a bunch of arsonists on a day out from the local prison, or
killed in a sudden earthquake where large cracks appear inthe ground
and you fall down one and don't stop falling until you reach the
centre of the earth and can never be rescued, or you are hit by
lightening, or you are pecked to death by a flock of killer pigeons on
the loose, or you get carried off by a freak tornado which has
appeared from nowhere and you are never seen again!!!!

jesus christ almighty! get a bloody grip ladies, what could happen to
your cat could happen to you and amusing though this yank paranoia is
about all the death and destruction and danger there is in the world
outside your front door it does get really very silly indeed and it is
a real shame that you are trying to pass your own pathetic fears on to
other people in other parts of the world who live in environments
which are nothing like your own. Even more of a shame that your fears
prevent your cats enjoying the great outdoors in the way they should,
I really pity your cats, I really do
bookie

Old June 21st 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 19 Jun 2007 09:06:10p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
.97.142:

She recently brought home the wildest kitten she could find and
all is right in her world again, even though a lot of stuff is
on the floor again.

Aww, I'm glad she found a new kitty to fit that hard-to-replace void.

--
Cheryl

Old June 21st 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 20 Jun 2007 07:38:55p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

so funny how you all get so worked up about a simple comment
about you country, keep 'em coming!

I'm not "all worked up" about this and only responded after you
made repeated comments. Does it bother me? Not at all. I
simply think you have made yourself look rather idiotic, and
those of use who formerly were willing to help you will probably
just ignore your remarks from now on.

Mary, she's hopeless. I quit reading her posts when she started
reminding me of someone else (also British) from years ago.
Wouldn't be surprised if she was "him" reincarnated. He did used
to morph with women's names when it suited his agenda. Bookie's a
lost cause.

--
Cheryl

Old June 21st 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Wed 20 Jun 2007 07:38:55p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

so funny how you all get so worked up about a simple comment
about you country, keep 'em coming!

I'm not "all worked up" about this and only responded after you
made repeated comments. Does it bother me? Not at all. I
simply think you have made yourself look rather idiotic, and
those of use who formerly were willing to help you will probably
just ignore your remarks from now on.

Mary, she's hopeless. I quit reading her posts when she started
reminding me of someone else (also British) from years ago.
Wouldn't be surprised if she was "him" reincarnated. He did used
to morph with women's names when it suited his agenda. Bookie's a
lost cause.

--
Cheryl

Yes, I've reached the same conclusion. It doesn't bother me -- I'll just
save some time and ignore her.

Thanks,
MaryL

Old June 21st 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 19 Jun 2007 06:37:02p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
.97.142:

And now a bone to chew! Hehe.

This wasn't a score to them. They have kicked it around a bit, but
Rhett isn't chewing on it like I thought he might. I just sprayed it
with catnip spray, and it resulted in Shamrock going nuts (but
leaving the bone alone) and Rhett ignored it. It just doesn't
measure up to the plastic he loves chewing. I'll look for a nylabone
when I go to the store next time.

--
Cheryl