Need Advice Very Badly...Time is running out! Please help!

Old March 31st 10, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatMan963

Default Need Advice Very Badly...Time is running out! Please help!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
years ago. She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
slowly been reduced. Lately she eats very little and i've been assist
feeding her a little bit for the past couple of days. She has been
very lethargic, and looks somewhat depressed.
I found a growth on her front left arm and it has grown in the past
few months.
The growth is in the muscle and at her age, i figured it would'nt be
advisable to have it operated on nor could i afford it.
I went into the vet, i was worried, sad, and confused and not thinking
straight. The vet advised bloodwork and x-rays. Being short on
money, i asked what i should do and the vet recommended the
bloodwork. I ended up getting the bloodwork done. Later after i got
home and started thinking more clearly, i realized it would have been
better to get x-rays first to see if she has cancer and to find out if
it spread to some vital organs. I believe the vet took advantage of
my being confused and not giving it wise thought at the time.
Anyways, i got the bloodwork back and according to the vet, it looks
like her liver, and kidneys are good. The thing that sticks out the
most on the bloodwork is the ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE which is at 6107. I
was told that normally this might point to the liver but he pointed
out something that i cannot recall (i think he may have said something
about my other cats not having liver problems) and said he was ruling
out liver problems. He is saying that the Alkaline Phosphatase is
more than likely high due to the lump in her arm being cancer. My
question is...is there something the vet might be wrong about? Could
there be some kind of mis-diagnosis here? Could he be trying to bilk
me out of more money? Should i get an x-ray? or not? I am very short
on money due to loss of hours at my job. It will be extremely hard for
me to take my girl in and have her put down but once she starts going
downhill even more, i know i'll have to do that instead of watching
her suffer. Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
should do before putting her down? I am devestated. She is like my
little girl and its killing me. Please help. Thank You
Old March 31st 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatMan963

On Mar 30, 9:16*pm, CatMan963 wrote:
[...]

please email me with any help at the7th sun son all one word at gmail
d o t com
Old March 31st 10, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"CatMan963" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Sheryl,

Email me if you would like. I *know* exactly what you are going through.
We all do. I lost my beloved Zipper as you know in 2001 and later Buddy - a
truly amazing cat. And just 3 weeks ago my nutbag cat M'Tazz who I miss
very much.

There is no misdiagnosis. She has cancer. I wish I could offer help, but
the only advice I have is for you to not make the huge mistake I made when
Zipper was diagnosed with cancer. I tried the heroics and in the end I just
made him endure his disease so I could selfishly cling to false hope and to
have him with me just a little longer. His passing was not pleasant shall
we say. The guilt I feel is permanent and will never leave me. I wish only
to spare you of this. You do not want to live that hell.

The mercy you show your beloved friend is hard to accept as an act of love,
I know. But it is truly and without doubt, the most loving and humane thing
you can do for her. Embrace her long, long life of love and friendship and
know that she will never really leave you. She truly could not have had a
better life. And for that you deserve the blessings of peace, as does she.

Paul

Old March 31st 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:49:08 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

"CatMan963" wrote in message
[...]

I was thinking the same thing. A 19 year old cat has had a good long
life, longer than any of my cats made it. My one big mistake was tying
to extend the life of one of my favorites, Nico, by giving him
chemotherapy and all sorts of stuff. I just ended up torturing him
because I couldn't bear to lose him.

Sheryl, I've written this before and I'm sure I'll write it again. You
can't win on this. Either you're going to feel like you didn't do
enough or you're going to regret doing too much. It's just human
nature.

The vet isn't trying to rip you off; they face a very difficult
decision as well. Maybe they can do something that will extend the
life of the cat, but if the quality of life is poor, that isn't really
a good thing even if the owner/slave want's it that way.

We're all going to die. The only question is when and how.

Old March 31st 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

"CatMan963" wrote in message
[...]

Beautifully put. I am sorry when anyone has to go through this, but it is
inevitable. A year ago we elected to euthanize our Boo, then just 14 years
old, because her oral cancer had eaten into her jaw and the only treatment
was to remove her lower jaw. Horrible, but at least we saved her pain and
fear.

Old March 31st 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatMan963

On Mar 31, 2:49*am, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
"CatMan963" wrote in message

[...]

I appreciate all of your replies. My name is'nt Sheryl. The lump in
my cats arm has never been diagnosed as cancer though. I am just
wondering if the high AP reading could be due to something that can be
treated. I more than anyone else here know not to prolong my cat's
agony. I just dont know how to find out what her problem is without
spending a ton more money that i don't have. I honestly do believe
this vet took advantage of me. He should have suggested x-rays to see
if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
definitive results for cancer. Thanks to everyone.
Old March 31st 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"CatMan963" wrote in message

[...]

We had a member here once who had a remarkably similar nom de plum as well
as a cat who would be about 18 now.

The blood work is very likely accurate. What would an x-ray show? A great
many time X-rays do not reveal tumors at all. I just lost a coworker to
undiagnosed stage 4 liver cancer and it never showed up on the x-rays they
took when they were investigating another issue she had. At your cats age
it really does not matter if it is cancerous or benign. Any surgical options
such as amputation would very likely push the cat over the edge at this
point. An 18 year old cat is about the same physically as an 85 year old
human.

A needle biopsy would be definitive and minimally invasive. Your vet did
the best he could given the circumstances. I am not sure how much a biopsy
costs, but ask them., Many good vets will agree to installment payments.
It is also possible that the vet is sure of the diagnosis and does not want
to overcharge you as some would do.

Best of luck to you. We all know how badly you want peace of mind for
closure.

Old April 1st 10, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatMan963" wrote
I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. He should have
suggested x-rays to see
if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
definitive results for cancer.

Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give your
cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and tell
him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or you
will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot do
is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the money
to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
cover it, if you sold it.

Old April 1st 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Paul M. Cook" wrote
"CatMan963" wrote

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
years ago. She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
slowly been reduced. Lately she eats very little and i've been assist

Email me if you would like. I *know* exactly what you are going through.
We all do. I lost my beloved Zipper as you know in 2001 and later Buddy -
a truly amazing cat. And just 3 weeks ago my nutbag cat M'Tazz who I miss
very much.

We've all felt this one if we are older and on our first furry friend.

There is no misdiagnosis. She has cancer. I wish I could offer help, but

I think so too.

the only advice I have is for you to not make the huge mistake I made when
Zipper was diagnosed with cancer. I tried the heroics and in the end I
just made him endure his disease so I could selfishly cling to false hope
and to have him with me just a little longer. His passing was not
pleasant shall we say. The guilt I feel is permanent and will never leave
me. I wish only to spare you of this. You do not want to live that hell.

I have been lucky on the cancer aspects but have lost many. Most due
frankly to 'old age issues' but some to other things.

The mercy you show your beloved friend is hard to accept as an act of
love, I know. But it is truly and without doubt, the most loving and
humane thing you can do for her. Embrace her long, long life of love and
friendship and know that she will never really leave you. She truly could
not have had a better life. And for that you deserve the blessings of
peace, as does she.

I agree. Here's a horrific one. A cat getting very elderly (vet checks
showed that was all it was) knocked a glass salt shaker off a counter then
ate catfood with glass shards. She'd been acting like 'kitty alzheimers' for
a bit (no kidney issues). We found her almost right away and rushed her to
the vet at 4am. Surgery was unlikely to help and at close to 19 YO, she
wasn't likely to survive it.

She got the pain meds she needed as the glass did it's damage though her
disgestive system and purred her way to heaven in our arms.

I'm sorry. I'm crying now even 10 years later recalling this. She 'crawled
off to die' and it took us 1 hour to find her. It's a hard story to tell.

Moral, do not let a pet suffer. 30 mins after we found our loved one, she
was at the vet purring in our arms on her way to await us at the rainbow
bridge.

Old April 1st 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

IMO the bloodwork would tell more than an x-ray. I think you have your
answer, you just don't want to face what it is. Stop blaming the vet and
face your own pain and fears.

"CatMan963" wrote