Tempting skinny/food indifferent cats

Old June 3rd 10, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Tempting skinny/food indifferent cats

My Gracie has never eaten enough. I have her on all canned, (Fancy Feast,
just ground varieties with no wheat gluten) and her EGC is under control,
but she is now 10 and I want to make sure she has a little meat on her for a
kind of "margin of error" if she gets off her feed or sick. She tends to
just lick off the juice, then the kitten hoovers the rest up. I do separate
them but often she just leaves the food there anyway. So ... I got some
Fancy Feast kitten food, also canned. She loves it. I do think it is worth
tempting our skinny cats with new choices to see if they will eat more.

Old June 3rd 10, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jun 2, 10:49*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
My Gracie has never eaten enough. I have her on all canned, (Fancy Feast,
just ground varieties with no wheat gluten) and her EGC is under control,
but she is now 10 and I want to make sure she has a little meat on her for a
kind of "margin of error" if she gets off her feed or sick. She tends to
just lick off the juice, then the kitten hoovers the rest up. I do separate
them but often she just leaves the food there anyway. So ... I got some
Fancy Feast kitten food, also canned. She loves it. I do think it is worth
tempting our skinny cats with new choices to see if they will eat more.

I'm much the same way. Only canned food I serve is the Fancy Feast
without wheat gluten and on rare occasions, some wellness and innova
(they object if I serve it more than once every couple weeks).

I do try new flavors of foods that meet my specs.

When Maynard was elderly, and I had to work to keep weight on him. He
was always a lean cat, and he would get skinny a lot from ages 17-19.
Fortunately, he did like a lot of food, so I would buy roasted
chickens and give him all-you-can-eat servings of the dark meat and a
little skin to give him as many colories as possible.

I do worry about Chase, who is the same body type, just as lean, and
pickier than hell. Other than kibble and a few limited flavors of
canned food (we are up 6 flavors), he only likes shrimp and the
occasional piece of chicken. Nothing else. I don't know I will do when
he gets to be a hard keeper. He doesn't have anything that he goes
nuts for, except shrimp, and that was only after watching Maynard eat
them multiple times. Chase simply doesn't like to try new foods.

And none of my current cats are into meat like my previous cats, who
all ate any kind of meat that was offered.