Disappearing lump

Old June 25th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Disappearing lump

Moe is a neutered male, about ten years old. Lately he's had a
persistent URI with runny nose and sneezing. Oral meds didn't help, so
last week the vet gave him an antibiotic shot. During the weigh in, we
found he was down from 10 pounds to 8 pounds since January (six
months). The vet suggested he might be developing thyroid problems, so
I was going to take him back next week to be tested.

In the meantime, I was petting him last night and found a huge lump
under his skin. It wasn't there last week during his vet visit and I'm
reasonably sure it wasn't there the night before I found it. It was
more or less vertical just ahead of his right hip. It was soft and
about the size and shape of an Italian sausage.

I decided to take him to the vet the next day (today) but later in the
evening I was petting him and the lump had completely disappeared.

Any idea what's going on?
Old June 25th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Was the lump near where the injection was given?

Related to the URI, have you though about putting him on L-Lysine (an
animo acid)? I've heard that it can be very helpful for some cats with
this condition.
Old June 25th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:48:29 -0700 (PDT), "Rene S."
wrote:

Was the lump near where the injection was given?

No, the injection was on the other side.

Related to the URI, have you though about putting him on L-Lysine (an
animo acid)? I've heard that it can be very helpful for some cats with
this condition.

The vet hasn't mentioned it. He has been better since the shot. My
next concern was the weight loss, before the mysterious lump appeared.
Old June 25th 10, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:34:41 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Was the lump at the site where he received the antibiotic injection?

He may have had a reaction to the shot at the injection site....which
would be a 'good' thing.... since it would explain what happened.

Keep a close eye on that spot!

My cat is hyperthyroid, and it means lab tests and a pill 2x day, but
she is doing very well on the medication now.

Another thought: he may have lost weight just because he's been sick: he
can't smell his food, and probably doesn't have much of an appetite.

I hope Moe is OK soon!

Please keep us posted.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100625-1, 06/25/2010
Tested on: 6/25/2010 3:34:59 PM

Old June 25th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote in message
[...]

No, but I am reasonably sure that the lump isn't a malignancy....Cancer
takes longer to develop than a few hours like that.....More likely, it was
some sort of allergic reaction to the shot, or to something else.

Old June 25th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:37:57 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It was on the opposite side and more than a week after the shot. I
really don't think the shot had anything to do with it.

Old June 26th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (6/25/2010
6:56 PM):
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Is it possible the lump had been there longer than you think, and it's
just that you noticed it shortly before it went down? He might have had
an injury with swelling that was already going down when you noticed.

I'm wondering if he had a bad reaction to a bug bite or sting? Does he
go outdoors at all?

I'd suggest carefully exploring his skin on and around where the lump
was, look for small injuries, something like a bug bite, cut, or
puncture wound, or even just a little ick on the roots of some hairs
that suggests something was there (puncture wounds can be nearly
invisible once they close up). And keep checking the spot, it's
possible the lump could come back, if it's the result of a puncture wound.

Also wouldn't hurt to call your vet and talk to him about it, see what
he thinks. My vet's more than happy to discuss things over the phone
without dragging my cat in for every little problem.

jmc
Old June 26th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:29:17 -0400, jmc
wrote:

Is it possible the lump had been there longer than you think, and it's
just that you noticed it shortly before it went down?

No. I pet him regularly and had been noticing his weight loss. I could
not have overlooked a lump this size.

I'm wondering if he had a bad reaction to a bug bite or sting? Does he
go outdoors at all?

No, indoors only.

Also wouldn't hurt to call your vet and talk to him about it, see what
he thinks. My vet's more than happy to discuss things over the phone
without dragging my cat in for every little problem.

He's going back next week for a thyroid check anyway. Unless the lump
comes back, I'll ask him then.

Old June 27th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:37:57 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Then perhaps it was the, "or to something else"........