Cat getting aggressive

Old August 20th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_5_]

Default Cat getting aggressive

We have 2 - 2 year old cats (one female, one male) and 2 - 4 year old
male cats (scooter and felix). Over the past 6 months or so,
scooter has been getting more and more aggressive with felix (felix is
very timid). I'm talking latching onto his throat while felix yells
out blood curdling screams, flipping him over by the neck, chasing him
around the house until felix is under the table growling at him,
latching onto the back of his neck with felix screaming, pressed to
the floor not letting him go. Normally everyone is very
calm...they'll eat together, look out the windows together, chase toys
together...no problems. Just like once a week scooter flips out on
him...and only him, he doesn't get aggressive with the little ones.
Any ideas onto why this would happen all of a sudden and how to stop
it? We're not home during the day and worry something bad might
happen.
Old August 20th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

It is possible that Scooter is seeing or smelling something he doesn't
like (a neighbor cat, perhaps) and directs his aggression toward
Felix. I have had this problem. What you need to do is separate
Scooter and re-introduce him to the household. Get a couple Feliway
diffusers and put one in Scooter's room, and another in the main room
where the other cats are. Take two towels and rub them on the cats and
swap them, so they can smell each other.

After a couple of days, swap rooms with Scooter and Felix (don't let
them see each other yet) and let them smell around for a while. Start
feeding them on either side of a door, then start playing with food
and treats under the door.

Take it slowly and see how Scooter does and how Felix reacts. You need
to nip this in the bud or the anger can escalate--or Felix will start
having possible issues too, like litterbox problems, or stress
problems.

Also, if the two are out and you see Scooter acting funny or
aggressive, try to distract him (throw a toy, pet him, etc.) before
anything can start. I've found this helpful. Be positive and don't
yell at him.

Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be.
Old August 20th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

I am glad someone with some practical knowhow could advise about
this. All I could suggest (pretty lame) was to use water squirt bottle
on the aggressor when it starts when you're around, and separate
the two cats when you're not around. You seem to have a handle
on it far more productive.

Yes, I've been through this several times. I would strongly suggest to
not use a water bottle if the situation escalates. Scooter could get
even more angry and attack Felix or his owner.

Also, if any of the cats needs to go to the vet, separate Scooter for
at least overnight. Our oldest cat gets upset when he smells the vet
and we do this as a precaution.
Old August 22nd 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ChildFree23[_2_]

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I hate to ask the obvious, but are all the cats fixed?

Old August 23rd 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_5_]

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:22:33 -0400, "ChildFree23"
wrote:

I hate to ask the obvious, but are all the cats fixed?

Yes, they're all fixed and all indoor cats. We actually bought a
water gun but we'll try some of the recommendations posted here.
Thanks.
Old October 15th 10, 10:17 AM
jessepalermo1 jessepalermo1 is offline
Junior Member

If playing with your cat means a bloody and scratched hand every time, then you may have a cat that was taken away from its mother too early.