A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat community
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Long distance move with two cats



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 10th 03, 02:43 PM
Jonathan Sachs
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Long distance move with two cats

I will move from San Francisco to Chicago next month, and I need to
plan how to transport my two cats.

The acceptable possibilities I can think of are in-cabin transport on
an airline, and some type of commercial service which, unlike
airlines, takes responsibility for their welfare.

I haven't found any airlines which allow one passenger to carry two
animals. That means I would have to fly cross-country twice,
separating a pair of cats and probably aggravating an already
stressful experience, or pay a stranger to travel with me.

I only imagine (and hope) that a pet transportation service exists. So
far I know of none, nor does my vet.

Any suggestions or advice?

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.
  #2  
Old July 10th 03, 06:29 PM
KS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I've wondered about this myself, and would consider paying a friend to travel
with me, except that I current have 5 cats.

Did you ask the airline about putting 2 cats in one carrier? A former
participant here did that, but it was a few years ago.

Can you drive?

There's a new airline which transports pets and their humans, but it's *very*
costly (and I don't know if they're off the ground yet):
http://www.companionair.com/

Also, Nationwide Pet Transportation Services: http://www.pro-pet-transports.com/

Good luck.

Kami


Jonathan Sachs wrote:

I will move from San Francisco to Chicago next month, and I need to
plan how to transport my two cats.

The acceptable possibilities I can think of are in-cabin transport on
an airline, and some type of commercial service which, unlike
airlines, takes responsibility for their welfare.

I haven't found any airlines which allow one passenger to carry two
animals. That means I would have to fly cross-country twice,
separating a pair of cats and probably aggravating an already
stressful experience, or pay a stranger to travel with me.

I only imagine (and hope) that a pet transportation service exists. So
far I know of none, nor does my vet.

Any suggestions or advice?




--
emayl me at furpods at mindspring dot com
  #4  
Old July 10th 03, 09:11 PM
KS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


... and don't let them drive when traffic is bad. They hate that.

--
With Regards,
Fred Williams,


LOL!!

Kami


--
emayl me at furpods at mindspring dot com
  #5  
Old July 10th 03, 11:33 PM
JSmith4973
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


If you have time and a little money you might rent a motor home
which gives you and your cats a home-like environment and you can travel
at a leisurely pace and "discover America" while you're at it. Just make
sure the cats are not going to get out and get lost. Cat security comes
first,... and don't let them drive when traffic is bad. They hate that.
==============

I am reminded of "The Cat Who...." mysteries....

Seriously, driving might be an option, if you can plan your route through
motels that allow pets.

Jeanne
  #6  
Old July 12th 03, 12:44 AM
Mogie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The idea below about renting an RV is great. You would also find the trip
more enjouable as well as the cats.

JSmith4973 wrote in message
...

If you have time and a little money you might rent a motor home
which gives you and your cats a home-like environment and you can travel
at a leisurely pace and "discover America" while you're at it. Just make
sure the cats are not going to get out and get lost. Cat security comes
first,... and don't let them drive when traffic is bad. They hate that.
==============

I am reminded of "The Cat Who...." mysteries....

Seriously, driving might be an option, if you can plan your route through
motels that allow pets.

Jeanne





-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
  #7  
Old July 16th 03, 03:02 PM
Jonathan Sachs
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I looked at the Pro-Pet web
site, but did not think the concept was very appealing. The cost is
about the same as a round-trip airline ticket. I don't doubt that they
give the animals good care, but a 2000-mile road trip sounds a lot
more stressful for a cat than a trip in an airplane.

They seem to cater to people who like to pretend that their cats are
little people. "Send your cat's favorite video so they can share it
with their new friends"? I'd like to show them a video of my cat's
reaction when a "new friend" approached the partly-open patio door
last week!

Companion Air looks like an ideal solution, although it is indeed very
expensive. But it clearly won't be ready in time for my trip next
month.

To answer some of the questions: some airlines allow two cats in one
carrier, but not fully grown cats. That's entirely reasonable; a
carrier large enough for two grown cats would not fit under a seat.

I may drive, although I will try to avoid it; I have a tight schedule
(and tight finances). But I would not dream of driving two cats 2000
miles in a car. (And no, I do not allow either cat to drive.) Renting
a motorhome would provide a half-way comfortable environment, but it
would be frightfully expensive, would take at least as long as driving
a car, and would leave me with the trouble and expense of transporting
my own car.

I'm probably going to recruit another traveler to carry my second cat
on the plane and pay half of his or her fare in exchange.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.
  #8  
Old July 16th 03, 03:30 PM
Me
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Jonathan Sachs wrote:

I may drive, although I will try to avoid it; I have a tight schedule
(and tight finances). But I would not dream of driving two cats 2000
miles in a car. (And no, I do not allow either cat to drive.) Renting
a motorhome would provide a half-way comfortable environment, but it
would be frightfully expensive, would take at least as long as driving
a car, and would leave me with the trouble and expense of transporting
my own car.



I drove my cat from CA to WI back when I was just out of graduate
school, in a rental car. There are a surprising number of motels that
allow pets. I had tranquilizers from the vet, but didn't need them. The
vet just said to use them if I absolutely had to. Opus cried for the
first 15 minutes, then alternately slept and sat and looked around. I
took a big cardboard box that wedged into the front passenger seat and
replaced one half of the top with a wire basket. So he had space to hide
but could stick his head up and look around and see me if he wanted. We
took frequent breaks for water, food and litter access. I took three
days to do the trip, and the weather was NASTY (snow, sleet, etc).

Julie

  #9  
Old July 17th 03, 12:27 AM
Uncle Fred
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Me wrote:



Jonathan Sachs wrote:

I may drive, although I will try to avoid it; I have a tight
schedule (and tight finances). But I would not dream of driving two
cats 2000 miles in a car. (And no, I do not allow either cat to
drive.) Renting a motorhome would provide a half-way comfortable
environment, but it would be frightfully expensive, would take at
least as long as driving a car, and would leave me with the trouble
and expense of transporting my own car.



I drove my cat from CA to WI back when I was just out of graduate
school, in a rental car. There are a surprising number of motels
that allow pets. I had tranquilizers from the vet, but didn't need
them. The vet just said to use them if I absolutely had to. Opus
cried for the first 15 minutes, then alternately slept and sat and
looked around. I took a big cardboard box that wedged into the front
passenger seat and replaced one half of the top with a wire basket.
So he had space to hide but could stick his head up and look around
and see me if he wanted. We took frequent breaks for water, food and
litter access. I took three days to do the trip, and the weather was
NASTY (snow, sleet, etc).

Julie


That's great. The first rule in transporting cats by car is to make
sure the cat doesn't get away from you at a rest stop and start
trying to find it's own way home. Security is important, and that
also means no accidents. Be really safety concious.
If a plane trip is planned with an extra cat escort, that will be
probably the best under the circumstances mentioned. It's wonderful
that you're taking such care of your cats. You should be fine with
this degree of planning.


--
Regards,
Fred
Remove "FFFf" to reply
http://www.fredwilliams.ca
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible move update (long and mostly OT) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 18 October 7th 04 06:45 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.