problem with Elizabethan collar and drinking

Old November 6th 10, 11:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Orson Cart

Default problem with Elizabethan collar and drinking

My cat had a large abcess drained, and the vet fitted
the Elizabethan collar to stop him getting at the wound.
If I remove the collar, he resists violently when I put it back on.
So for him to drink, I put a large bowl of water by his bed.
When he drinks, he dips the bottom of the collar into the water.
Unfortunately, the wound has a drain, and some of the serum has
gotten onto the collar. So if he puts the collar into the water,
he is contaminating the water....
I have tried various tapered bowls, but could not find any such
that the collar goes under the lip of the bowl and his tongue
reaching the water.
Old November 6th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"Orson Cart" wrote in :

My cat had a large abcess drained, and the vet fitted
the Elizabethan collar to stop him getting at the wound.
If I remove the collar, he resists violently when I put it back on.
So for him to drink, I put a large bowl of water by his bed.
When he drinks, he dips the bottom of the collar into the water.
Unfortunately, the wound has a drain, and some of the serum has
gotten onto the collar. So if he puts the collar into the water,
he is contaminating the water....
I have tried various tapered bowls, but could not find any such
that the collar goes under the lip of the bowl and his tongue
reaching the water.

Give him a straw? g

Maybe a tall glass filled to the brim. But you'd have to keep it from
getting tipped over. Also, you'd need to have several filled for him so
you don't have to fill it every time he drinks.

Old November 6th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 11/06/2010 01:00 PM, KenK wrote:
"Orson wrote in :

My cat had a large abcess drained, and the vet fitted
the Elizabethan collar to stop him getting at the wound.
If I remove the collar, he resists violently when I put it back on.
So for him to drink, I put a large bowl of water by his bed.
When he drinks, he dips the bottom of the collar into the water.
Unfortunately, the wound has a drain, and some of the serum has
gotten onto the collar. So if he puts the collar into the water,
he is contaminating the water....
I have tried various tapered bowls, but could not find any such
that the collar goes under the lip of the bowl and his tongue
reaching the water.

Give him a straw?g

Maybe a tall glass filled to the brim. But you'd have to keep it from
getting tipped over. Also, you'd need to have several filled for him so
you don't have to fill it every time he drinks.

I've used a small water dish, about 5 inches across, before. The collar
fit completely over it. My old cat, Tiger, about 20 years ago had to
have the tip of his tail amputated after an injury. He wore a collar to
keep him from bothering the tail while it healed. He was a large cat,
and the cat-sized collar was too small. The vet had to use a small dog
collar. The cat was long enough to stand on the floor and peak over the
edge of the kitchen table to look for treats.

Bud
Old November 7th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

"KenK" wrote in message
"Orson Cart" wrote in :

My cat had a large abcess drained, and the vet fitted
the Elizabethan collar to stop him getting at the wound.
If I remove the collar, he resists violently when I put it back on.
So for him to drink, I put a large bowl of water by his bed.
When he drinks, he dips the bottom of the collar into the water.
Unfortunately, the wound has a drain, and some of the serum has
gotten onto the collar. So if he puts the collar into the water,
he is contaminating the water....
I have tried various tapered bowls, but could not find any such
that the collar goes under the lip of the bowl and his tongue
reaching the water.

Give him a straw? g

Maybe a tall glass filled to the brim. But you'd have to keep it from
getting tipped over. Also, you'd need to have several filled for him so
you don't have to fill it every time he drinks.

Yes....I was going to suggest building a little tower about 6 or 8 inches
high out of a flat board, and a dowel or other stick, and gluing an empty
cat food can or something similar to the top, so he could drink without his
collar getting in the way. but you would have to refill it frequently.
(Which I do with my cats anyway)

Old November 8th 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poochy Doos

On Nov 6, 3:13*am, "Orson Cart" wrote:
* * * * * * My cat had a large abcess drained, and the vet fitted
the Elizabethan collarto stop him getting at the wound.
If I remove the collar, he resists violently when I put it back on.
So for him to drink, I put a large bowl of water by his bed.
When he drinks, he dips the bottom of the collar into the water.
Unfortunately, the wound has a drain, and some of the serum has
gotten onto the collar. So if he puts the collar into the water,
he is contaminating the water....
I have tried various tapered bowls, but could not find any such
that the collar goes under the lip of the bowl and his tongue
reaching the water.

Hey there,

I know it seams counter-intuitive, but you may have more success with
a smaller water bowl. Also, are you removing and fastening the cone by
the clippy fastener devices, or just pulling it gently off, and
pushing it gently on?

Poor Guy! Good Luck!
Mary, Owner/Operator
http://www.poochydoos.com
Old November 10th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

How about trying another brand of cone, something like the Comfy Cone?
It's fabric covered and you can sort of roll it back when he wants to
drink without taking it off. You can search for a store on their web
site: http://www.allfourpaws.com/

Rene