Mulligan Stew for Cats...

Old December 18th 10, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Default Mulligan Stew for Cats...

Hi,

I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!
--
Jean B.
Old December 20th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Jean B. wrote:
Hi,

I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!

I don't always eat the foods that are best for me, and I don't expect my
cats to either. I got one of them in a Burger King parking lot, and he still
likes a liittle chocolate milk shake now and then. So, when I make a choc
shake for myself, I give him a little bit of it. Sure, I wouldn't feed my
cats nothing but people food either, but if I give them some variety, how
can that hurt them?

Old December 20th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:20:10 -0800, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Jean B. wrote:
[...]

I recall that chocolate is very bad for cats:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats

But outside of giving them things that I know are bad for them, like
chocolate and onions, just because something doesn't have taurine or
enough magnesisum doesn't mean that they can't eat it or enjoy it.

If it says on the label that it isn't meant as the main part of a cat
diet, then don't feed them only that.
Old December 21st 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

wrote:

Jean B. wrote:
[...]

I understand that. But I wonder what percentage of cat owners
scrutinize the labels? I think the normal assumption for many
would be that they could feed their cat(s) such food and such food
only.

BTW, we tried another new food we found. I thought it smelled
like, um, a cat's dirty litterbox. But then I told myself that
what I thought smelled good did not necessarily get a positive
reaction from the cats--and vice versa. Well, the cats wouldn't
go near it.

--
Jean B.
Old December 21st 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

Jean B. wrote:
[...]

I have heard that chocolate is a lot worse for dogs than it is for cats, but
in any case, my cat only gets a few tablespoons of choc shake about once
every couple or three months. (It's a lot worse for me than the cat)

Old December 21st 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

Jean B. wrote:
[...]

At my age and vision, I can't even read the lables....