What Are The Cats Doing?

Old December 20th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tom Choad

Default What Are The Cats Doing?

They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?
Old December 20th 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Tom Choad wrote:
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
description is totally wrong.)
It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're happy, safe
and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
Old December 20th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Tom Choad" wrote in message
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

I call it peter pattering kittens do this mother while nursing to
stimulate milk. It is a GOOD Thing. A sign that they trust and love you

Old December 20th 10, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Patok wrote:
Tom Choad wrote:
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
description is totally wrong.)
It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're
happy, safe and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading

\\Giving thisn poster the benefit of the doubt, he is probably a young
kid out of school for the holidays -- I hope so. Best wishes. MLB
Old December 21st 10, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tom Choad

On Dec 19, 7:36*pm, Patok wrote:
Tom Choad wrote:
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

* *Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
description is totally wrong.)

I didn't have internet when growing up.

* *It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're happy, safe
and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
* *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading

Awesome! So if this cat comes in my room and does it, that means she
likes me?

Old December 21st 10, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Tom Choad wrote:
On Dec 19, 7:36 pm, Patok wrote:
Tom Choad wrote:
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.
Anyway, what's going on here?

Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
description is totally wrong.)

I didn't have internet when growing up.

I didn't either, but it is hard to mistake what their feelings are. Picture
this - you're sitting reading, kitty comes onto your lap, starts purring and
kneading against your thigh, and then falls asleep. How can this be anything but
happiness and security? To be fair, I learned that it is the suckling reflex
from Wikipedia too.

It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're happy, safe
and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading

Awesome! So if this cat comes in my room and does it, that means she
likes me?

You, life, and everything is alright with the world. Wish we humans could
feel that way more often.

Old December 21st 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Tom Choad wrote:
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

If you watch a bunch of new born kittens, they wiull knead their mothers
chest while suckling. I have heard that cats who were weaned too soon will
do this. But it is just speculation.

Old December 29th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Dec 19, 8:24*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"Tom Choad" wrote in message

They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

I call it peter pattering * *kittens do this mother while nursing to
stimulate milk. *It is a GOOD Thing. *A sign that they trust and love you

Then I will have to trim their claws
Old December 29th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
SJ

"chatnoir" wrote in message
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

Normal cat behavior. It's called "kneading". It's a habit of cats and they
should not be stopped when they do it. It's normal behavior that relaxes
cats. They're happy when they're kneading.

Old December 29th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

It's nice when they knead you and a reminder to trim their claws. I do it
about once a month.

Barb