Feeding Time

Old August 16th 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Feeding Time

I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.

Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.

She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Thanks!

Old August 16th 11, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds

In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:

I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.

Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.

She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Thanks!

Currently FF is 50cents/can at Petsmart. It's also possible to find sites that
will sell you a coupon that nets you about 4/5cents per can for about 8 cans.

It's also possible to order the stuff online for cheaper than 70 cents a can
even including shipping.

My cats will eat some varieties of pate, but mostly prefer the stuff with
gravy/sauce
Old August 16th 11, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can at Albertson's in California. I guess
that's why it's more expensive. I found it on sale at Target for 50
cents a can, so I have been stocking up. I'll check out your other
suggestions.

My main gripe is knowing if I'm buying pate or chunky/gravy style. The
cans aren't always clear about this.

Old August 16th 11, 10:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Mack A. Damia wrote:
I have dry cat food down for Pookie, and I have been giving her a
small amount of Fancy Feast everyday.

Some of the cans will say, "pate" while others won't. She refuses to
eat pate for some reason, and I get annoyed throwing money away.

She'll eat the chunks of, say, beef, chicken or turkey/giblets. As
long as it's chunky, she'll gobble it.

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Thanks!

Mine like chopped, roasted chickens, and when you compare them to 70 cent a
can cat food, they are a lot cheaper. I know they don't have that chemical
that some of you say the cats need, but the cats can get that stuff from the
other food they eat, like kibbles, so the fresh roasted chickens are very
useful and the cats love 'em..... Also, we can eat them too...:^)

Old August 16th 11, 11:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:

[...]

The texture is stated in the yellow band on the bottom of the label on the
front of the can.. The "Classic" line of Fancy Feast diets are pate.
Grilled, Sliced, and Roasted lines are smaller pieces in gravy. The
"Chunky" line are larger pieces in gravy. The same flavors come in
different textures, i.e.: Grilled Chicken, Sliced Chicken, Roasted Chicken,
and Chicken Classic (Pate). Some of lines have the same or similar color
labels so you've gotta read the labels.

Old August 16th 11, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 02:06:51 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Mack A. Damia wrote:
[...]

Good idea. I eat a lot of roasted chickens myself, so I'll try it.

Thanks!
Old August 16th 11, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:38:33 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information; I didn't know, although I now see
"Classic". Didn't realize those were the pate style. She gobbles the
chunky varieties.

Old August 16th 11, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? *Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Cats can get fixated on a texture, so my guess is that the chunks
remind her of dry food.
Old August 17th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:53:58 -0700 (PDT), Rene
wrote:

Any ideas why she won't touch pate? *Fancy Feast is 70 cents a can now
in the supermarkets, and many of the pate style flavors don't say so
on the can.

Cats can get fixated on a texture, so my guess is that the chunks
remind her of dry food.

That's a good thought. I have another brand - same size can, and it's
minced meat as in hamburger. She won't touch that either.
Old August 17th 11, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote:

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 21:45:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Mack A. Damia wrote:

[...]

Texture is more important than taste for a lot of cats. The easiest way to
determine what a cat likes is to put down a smorgasbord of 5 or 6 flavors
and textures and see which she prefers. It may seem expensive but in the
long run its cheaper and easier than trying a lot of different diets one at
a time.