A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat health & behaviour
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Matted fur: how to comb/brush out



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 5th 12, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ---
  #2  
Old June 5th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 850
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:00:31 +0000 (UTC), FragSinatra
wrote:

My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ---


When a cat's fur gets matted, as you described, the only practical way
of removing them it to cut them out with a pair of scissors.

Be careful not to cut your cat's skin, as you have to cut pretty close
to it, to get the mats out.

You can avoid getting mats in your cat's fur in the future by brushing
his fur once a day.

Many cats enjoy having this done, and will look forward to it.

Be sure to praise your cat, and give him a treat each time you brush
him.

I hope this helps
  #3  
Old June 5th 12, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

On 6/5/2012 1:00 PM, FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?


cut out the worst ones. i use blunt tip emt scissors so i don't stab if
the cat jerks and moves.

i shower/shampoo my cats about every 3-4 weeks 9 months of the year to
prevent this, but i live in a warm climate.

  #4  
Old June 5th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,068
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?



When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles you
wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a clipper to
her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all her tangles out.
She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew back in, she never got
another tangle! It must be the good diet she got from us.....

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---


  #5  
Old June 6th 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?



When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles
you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a
clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all
her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew
back in, she never got another tangle! It must be the good diet she
got from us.....


I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good, warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to ---
  #6  
Old June 6th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 53
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out


I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good, warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?


IME, no. It might even make them worse and hug tighter to the skin.
You might need to get the areas(s) shaved by a groomer or a vet.
  #7  
Old June 6th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,068
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?



When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles
you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a
clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all
her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew
back in, she never got another tangle! It must be the good diet she
got from us.....


I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the
short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good,
warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?


Probably, but I'm not sure how well she might take to getting wet. Some of
our cats don't mind, but the others won't have anything to do with it. We
have no cats that we raised from kittenhood ourselves. We got them all aqs
adults, so we never had the chance to introduce them to water when young.
SWara was surprisingly receptive to being clipped with n electric trimmer,
and she was v3ery happy to lose the tangles. I think it was a lot less
traumatic than washing them out, but your cat may not mind being bathed at
all.....

  #8  
Old June 6th 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

On 6/6/2012 12:32 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?


When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had tangles
you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So, we took a
clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and shaved all
her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when the hair grew
back in, she never got another tangle! It must be the good diet she
got from us.....


I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the
short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good,
warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?


Probably, but I'm not sure how well she might take to getting wet. Some
of our cats don't mind, but the others won't have anything to do with
it. We have no cats that we raised from kittenhood ourselves. We got
them all aqs adults, so we never had the chance to introduce them to
water when young. SWara was surprisingly receptive to being clipped with
n electric trimmer, and she was v3ery happy to lose the tangles. I think
it was a lot less traumatic than washing them out, but your cat may not
mind being bathed at all.....


all of my 6 cats were obtained as adults (2 years old) and all have
been introduced to showers. some of them wouldn't chose to have it done,
a couple really enjoy it, but all will stand there and let us bathe them
without having to nail them down or wear armor.

  #9  
Old June 6th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,068
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out

chaniarts wrote:
On 6/6/2012 12:32 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine
bristles and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them
out. Would a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get
them out?


When we got our little female, "Sara" from a farmer, she had
tangles you wouldn't believe. Brushing wouldn't get them out. So,
we took a clipper to her as soon as the Summer season set in,. and
shaved all her tangles out. She was gloriously happy, and, when
the hair grew back in, she never got another tangle! It must be
the good diet she got from us.....


I'd rather not cut out or even clip the fur mats, which are in the
short
fur of the haunches, I imagine Mage might freak out. Would a good,
warm
bath and shampoo get the mats out?


Probably, but I'm not sure how well she might take to getting wet.
Some of our cats don't mind, but the others won't have anything to
do with it. We have no cats that we raised from kittenhood
ourselves. We got them all aqs adults, so we never had the chance to
introduce them to water when young. SWara was surprisingly receptive
to being clipped with n electric trimmer, and she was v3ery happy to
lose the tangles. I think it was a lot less traumatic than washing
them out, but your cat may not mind being bathed at all.....


all of my 6 cats were obtained as adults (2 years old) and all have
been introduced to showers. some of them wouldn't chose to have it
done, a couple really enjoy it, but all will stand there and let us
bathe them without having to nail them down or wear armor.


Well, give it a try, but as Rene says, cutting them out may be your only
choice. I would have a small pair of blunt nosed scissors handy, so you can
clip out whatever doesn't want to wash out.....

  #10  
Old June 12th 12, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhino[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Matted fur: how to comb/brush out


"FragSinatra" wrote in message
. ..
My orange tomcat Mage, has some really stubborn tangled fur on his
haunches. I've tried using two types of brushes (one w/fine bristles
and one w/coarse bristles) and had no luck brushing them out. Would
a comb work? Or does he need a bath and shampoo to get them out?


I stumbled on a way of handling mats that no one here has mentioned. There
may be some reason why this is a bad idea but I swear this works very well
for me.

I simply pull the mat out with my fingers. I get a firm grip on it while the
cat is lying, sitting or standing still and pull it slowly but firmly until
it is separated from the cat. Bebop does not cry or scratch or fight me in
any way when I do this. I find this approach very simple.

I once inadvertently cut a quarter-sized hole in his skin when trying to cut
a mat out. He didn't cry or fuss about that either but I was astonished how
long it took that hole to heal. I didn't see a scab begin to form for almost
three weeks; I really wondered if it was ever going to heal. It eventually
scabbed over and the fur grew back so that you can't see where it happened
but it took a long time.

--
Rhino

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend a good cat brush/comb? jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 21 April 18th 10 03:31 PM
Matted harry Cat anecdotes 7 February 3rd 10 07:43 PM
Fix Matted Fur? Claude V. Lucas Cat health & behaviour 40 November 9th 08 02:20 PM
Kitty's Fur Is Seriously Matted Gary Brown Cat health & behaviour 3 May 23rd 07 02:43 PM
matted fur Pat Cat anecdotes 11 January 7th 05 07:37 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.