Cats don't require grass as part of their diet?

Old June 19th 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

Default Cats don't require grass as part of their diet?

I've noticed that practically all the cats I know have eaten grass at some
point in their life. Some of them make it a daily habit. I don't like to
let Mage out because of fleas and ticks but when I do he's grazing the
grass. It doesn't seem like they throw up after eating it either.

Old June 19th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"FragSinatra" wrote in message
. ..
I've noticed that practically all the cats I know have eaten grass at some
point in their life. Some of them make it a daily habit. I don't like to
let Mage out because of fleas and ticks but when I do he's grazing the
grass. It doesn't seem like they throw up after eating it either.

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

http://www.petmd.com/cat/wellness/evr_ct_eating_grass
http://animal.discovery.com/healthy-...eat-grass.html
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ats-eat-grass/

Mine love the cat grass I grow for them.

Old June 19th 12, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.
Old June 20th 12, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.

Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.
Old June 20th 12, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Matthew" wrote in news:4fe0e04a$0$25455
:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ats-eat-grass/

Thanks, that was interesting reading.

I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed, washed
and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

Old June 20th 12, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

wrote:

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.

Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

tomatoes are toxic to cats, although i once had a cat that loved
spaghetti with a bit of sauce on it.
Old June 20th 12, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

dgk dgk somewhere.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food
would include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first
thing they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes
back up but not always.

Some dogs eat cat poop. Some cats drink antifreeze that leaks
out of a car.

Old June 20th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.

Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

Don't use, "Round Up" on your weeds. A neighbor of mine did, and it killed
my cat last year. (as well as a bunch of squirrels and racoons.)

Old June 22nd 12, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ats-eat-grass/

Thanks, that was interesting reading.

I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed, washed
and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

neither i belive they have garlic and onions in the mix

Old June 22nd 12, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard, and
ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes directly
into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.

Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

Don't use, "Round Up" on your weeds. A neighbor of mine did, and it killed
my cat last year. (as well as a bunch of squirrels and racoons.)

Really, I thought it wasn't supposed to do that. But I certainly
wouldn't let my cats go where RoundUp had been applied in any case. It
does mean that I have a fair number of weeds though.