Has anyone tried Feliway - before I waste my money

Old July 8th 03, 09:40 AM
moi

Default Has anyone tried Feliway - before I waste my money

I didn't get much response the first time I asked this question and wondered
if the title sounded like spam - so here it is again:

I've been reading about Feliway spray and/or diffuser and think it is
what I am looking for for my worried cat.

He's a big lovable puddin' but not very brave and the sight of other cats
near our garden makes him nervous. Although neutered and 10 years old he
started spraying in the house a couple of years ago (after getting lost).
We've made him feel as secure as possible and used dried food in strategic
places which has reduced the problem significantly. There is still one
problem area, the conservatory - he loves to sit in there with his sister
(half the size, twice as brave!) but can see other cats, one of whom has
tried to get in when the door is open on a sunny day. It sounds like the
comforting effect of Feliway may help.

I was wondering if anyone here had used it and if they had noticed a
significant difference?

Does anyone know of a good source where I can buy it in the UK as cheaply as
possible? (I've seen the same diffuser advertised at £27.47 and £17.19).

Thanks!

Moi

Old July 8th 03, 10:08 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"moi" wrote in message
[...]

yes I found somewhere cheaper think I replied to your posting in another
group Moi, with the links

Old July 8th 03, 10:24 AM
moi

Yes sorry SooZy, I was about to reply. I think I've found it as cheap as I'm
going to at http://www.naturalpetcare.co.uk/shop/Miscellaneous.htm
but I haven't spoken to anyone who has used it.

I have tried other products in the past aimed at keeping neighbouring cats
off his patch and they were just a waste of time. He is such an adorable
soft puddin' and I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of him - but I can't
stand my house smelling of cat pee. For what it's worth "Shout" stain
remover with enzymes spray (sold with the washing powders) is the best thing
for removing cat pee smells. It's the crawling around on my hands and knees
sniffing the furniture that gets me down! ;o)

I think I'll start another thread to tell people about Shout - they may find
it useful...

Thanks!

Moi

Old July 8th 03, 10:54 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

I used to wash area with biological soap powder liquid and wipe the area
over with surgical spirit after, when I had my old cat which worked! I know
the feeling about the nose to the ground!!!!!!!! LOL

--
Luv 'n stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old July 8th 03, 11:38 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

"moi" wrote in message
I know
the feeling about the nose to the ground!!!!!!!! LOL

Is it just me or once you smell it do you smell it *everywhere*! I go

around
saying - I can smell pee. Can you smell pee? Do my hands smell of pee? -

The
rest of the family think I'm pee obsessed at times and they don't seem to
notice it. I'm not sure that getting one of those black lights would be a
good thing - can you see me dashing round the house like a crime
investigation scene?! LOL

Moi

LOL no I was like that with my last cat! he is no longer with us :-(
I used to open the front door and smell it, just like you crawling about,
blotting bits of kitchen roll everywhere too!
yes black light seems like a good idea.

We haven't got any carpets anymore ;-)

Old July 8th 03, 02:08 PM
moi

As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
etc.).

Ok, feeling way out of my depth here - why would these shops sell them? Also
what's a "head shop"?

Moi

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:57:04 +0000 (UTC), in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav, moi )
said,

Have you tried a black light to help you locate urine spots? They are
available as both corded and cordless units, and it would probably cut

down
some on all of the crawling around as you try to locate the offending

spots.

No I'd never heard of that. Is it the sort of think you see on these
forensic detective series where they are looking for blood? ;o/

Does it show up anything else other than urine? Sometimes it's best not

know what is lurking! ;o)

What sort of place stocks these sort of things?

Blood only shows up under black light if it has been sprayed with
luminol (more forensic trivia for you ;-) ).

As far as where to get them, shops that cater to teenaged stoners
usually have them (head shops, poster shops, comic book stores,
etc.). In the U.S., you can get black lights at pretty much any
discount store, but I don't know about the U.K.

Laura