Trout Pout

Old July 17th 03, 11:58 AM
Alison

Default Trout Pout

Hi ,
Kim has a swollen bottom lip, she looks like Lesley Ash.(UK actress)
It isn't painful and there are no wound marks.
This happened before late last year , the vet thought it might be
because she was scratching it . This time a different vet thought it
could be an allergic reaction to frontline flea preperation although
I applied that a week before.
Any ideas and has this happend to anyone elses cat ?
--
Alison

Photos of dogs needing homes and links to Rescues.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/AnimalRescueLinksUK

Links to animal information websites
http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks

Old July 18th 03, 12:54 AM
Alison

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

Seems like a week is an awful long time for a reaction to set in?

What did
they do for it last time? I hope it gets better soon.

Karen

Hi Karen ,
It is a long time isn't it . Last time I think she had an
antibiotics. someone suggested it could be a bee sting but I don't
think so . It looks like it has gone down slightly so fingers crossed
I won't have to take her back to the vet.
Alison

Old July 18th 03, 03:53 AM
PawsForThought

From: "Alison"

"PawsForThought" wrote in message

Sounds like rodent ulcer.

Oh dear . I'll have to look that up. It looks smooth and swollen
though .
Alison

Sorry I had posted that from work, but here's some information. Another thing
it might be as an allergy to plastic, so you want to make sure you're not
feeding out of plastic bowls, or it could possibly be a food allergy.
Here's what rodent ulcers a
"Rodent ulcers are open sores found primarily on the inside of the cat's upper
lip, adjacent to the canine tooth. They sometimes develop in other sites, on
the tongue, lips roof of the mouth or on the skin of the abdomen or inner
thigh.

"The term "Rodent" ulcer is misleading. It originated because it was thought
these sores were due or infections contracted from mice or tats. Their real
cause is still uncertain, but is is generally believed they are the result of
constant irritation from the cat's rough tongue. The reason why only some cats
develop them in not understood.

"The sore are usually oval in shape, with a raised edge or border. The affected
area is gradually eroded. It becomes red and inflamed and may bleed
intermittently especially if knocked.

"Early in its course, the ulcer is small and caused little concern to the cat.
As it progresses, eating can become uncomfortable, and the cat may lose its
appetite salivate and paw at the mouth.

Treatment

"Some cases respond to treatment with drugs such as cortisone, or hormones. In
advanced cases, surgical removal may be contemplated although this can be
deforming. X-ray treatment, cryosurgery and injections into and around the sore
have been successful in some selected cased. Treatment is not always successful
and recurrence is common."

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old July 18th 03, 03:53 AM
PawsForThought

Old July 18th 03, 09:37 AM
Kevin Krell

THE EOSINOPHILIC GRANULOMA (also called the linear granulom)

The eosinophilic granuloma produces a classical swollen lower lip or
chin or a classical long, narrow lesion running down the back of the
thigh.

Here's a link to a picture - see the one with the black & white cat.
Ours gets a slightly swollen lower lip. Causes are not known, but may
be allergy (might be to fleas). We have found it responds to 500mg
L-Lysine added to his food (L-Lysine is used to alleviate Herpes).
The chin under the lip might seems a little soft/swollen under the
fur. Certainly check for sores on the backs of the rear legs.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/eosi...granuloma.html