How HIGH is TOO HIGH for a cat to JUMP? HELP!

Old February 26th 04, 04:48 PM
lovemycats

Default How HIGH is TOO HIGH for a cat to JUMP? HELP!

Here is a strange probelm.. My husband and I just moved into a new
house Monday. Our 2 cats just became brave enough to venture out of
the bedroom and explroe their new surroundings. (They have been hiding
under our blanket for two days!) Anyways, upstairs, we have a loft
that overlooks our living room. The loft has two ledges that last
night- our cats discovered! The ledges that look down are probably
20-25 feet high up from the living room floor. THEY ARE SCARING ME TO
DEATH! They are teetering along the edge, sometime losing their
footing... and one of my cats seriously considered jumping down to the
floor below. (She was in her "crouch" position and had her front paws
flat on the wall that goes straight down) I screamed out "NOOOO!" and
she stopped thankfully... she almost gave her mommy a heart attack! So
my question is, if they were to jump the 20-25 feet down to the hard
wood floor below, would they land on their feet? Or would they break
their neck? I am so scared they are going to hurt themselves while we
are gone at work and I will come home to one of them laying there in
pain! So can anyone help? Just how far of a fall (or jump) can a cat
handle safely?
Old February 26th 04, 04:50 PM
Cat Protector

Here's a solution. Get these cats a cat tower.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
om...

Old February 26th 04, 06:13 PM
GovtLawyer

snip

I just looked ahead at the reply and a tower would be a good idea. Also,
carpeting instead of hardwood. And, perhaps a couch under the loft. I
understand your fear. For what I know about cats, they aren't likely to
intentionally do something beyond their ability, like jumping to far down. It
is the unitentional accidents that get them, like forgetting they are on al
ledge and swiping at a bird and falling off a window sill. Since this is
indoors, they are pretty much in control of the situation.

Old February 27th 04, 01:00 AM
MaryL

"lovemycats" wrote in message
om...
Here is a strange probelm.. My husband and I just moved into a new
house Monday. Our 2 cats just became brave enough to venture out of
the bedroom and explroe their new surroundings. (They have been hiding
under our blanket for two days!) Anyways, upstairs, we have a loft
that overlooks our living room. The loft has two ledges that last
night- our cats discovered! The ledges that look down are probably
20-25 feet high up from the living room floor. THEY ARE SCARING ME TO
DEATH! They are teetering along the edge, sometime losing their
footing... and one of my cats seriously considered jumping down to the
floor below.

I had a similar concern with Duffy but on a much smaller scale. Duffy would
climb to the top of my computer hutch and then literally hang over the edge,
waving his paws at me. This is not *nearly* as high as what you describe,
but Duffy is blind and I was afraid that he might slip off the edge of the
polished wood and hit his head on the computer equipment or the edge of the
desk below.

Here is what I did: I had a handyman build a carpeted pole and attach it to
the side of the hutch so Duffy would have an easier way to climb up and
down. For security, I also had him build a carpeted ledge along the top
edge of the hutch. Duffy will still walk back and forth on top of the new
ledge, but I don't have as many concerns because it is carpeted and gives
him a surface to grip with his claws. I also have a great cat tree, and
Duffy and Holly spend much more time there than on top of the hutch -- but
they will still sometimes clamber up to the top of the hutch when I am
working on the computer, and the carpeted additions have given me an
increased sense of security. If you would like to see what I tried to
describe, go to the second link under my signature, scroll to the bottom of
the pictures, and then move up to the 8th and 9th pictures from the bottom.
Those two photos depict the hutch with the "add-ons." You can also see some
pictures of the cat tree in this same album.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old February 27th 04, 04:18 AM
kilikini

[...]

The way I see it is, sooner or later one of them is going to try it. Cut
down a tree and pretend it's Christmas! Do something before one of them
gets hurt. I completely feel for you. It's so scary!

kilikini

Old February 27th 04, 05:14 PM
Smokey Stover

(lovemycats) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Doesn't the edge of the lodge have a railing or fence? If it does,
cover the inside with chicken wire. If it does not have a railing, it
probably is not according to code and is dangerous for people as well
as your cats. There probably are lots of decorative fencing that you
could install that would keep the guys from climbing down to the ledges.
Good luck