How long does it last???????

Old February 27th 04, 08:12 PM
Lisa

Default How long does it last???????

How long does a female cat stay in heat? We have one extremely horny kitty,
who is scheduled to be spayed in two weeks (it's the soonest we could get
her and her sister in, after we took them in as strays). She just started
with the incessant howling this morning and, of course, there's a local male
cat camped out on our doorstep, waiting for her to bust her way out the
door.

So I guess my questions are, in addition to how long does this last, what
can we do to shut her up? I mean, should we just let her go out and get
"serviced?" I hate the idea of the spaying becoming a kitten abortion, but I
just know that between now and then she's gonna get out. She's EXTREMELY
determined to do so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Old February 27th 04, 08:21 PM
StocksRus®

"Lisa" wrote in
. com:

How long does a female cat stay in heat? We have one extremely horny
kitty, who is scheduled to be spayed in two weeks (it's the soonest we
could get her and her sister in, after we took them in as strays). She
just started with the incessant howling this morning and, of course,
there's a local male cat camped out on our doorstep, waiting for her
to bust her way out the door.

So I guess my questions are, in addition to how long does this last,
what can we do to shut her up? I mean, should we just let her go out
and get "serviced?" I hate the idea of the spaying becoming a kitten
abortion, but I just know that between now and then she's gonna get
out. She's EXTREMELY determined to do so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hmmm....sounds like my ex wife.

--
StocksRus®

Old February 27th 04, 08:25 PM
Lisa

"StocksRus®" wrote in message
50...
"Lisa" wrote in
. com:

How long does a female cat stay in heat? We have one extremely horny
kitty, who is scheduled to be spayed in two weeks (it's the soonest we
could get her and her sister in, after we took them in as strays). She
just started with the incessant howling this morning and, of course,
there's a local male cat camped out on our doorstep, waiting for her
to bust her way out the door.

So I guess my questions are, in addition to how long does this last,
what can we do to shut her up? I mean, should we just let her go out
and get "serviced?" I hate the idea of the spaying becoming a kitten
abortion, but I just know that between now and then she's gonna get
out. She's EXTREMELY determined to do so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hmmm....sounds like my ex wife.

LOL! Hence the "ex," right?

By the way, you were no help at all. :-P

Lisa

Old February 27th 04, 08:25 PM
Lisa

"StocksRus®" wrote in message
50...
"Lisa" wrote in
. com:

Old February 28th 04, 12:12 AM
~*Connie*~

"Lisa" wrote in message
. com...
How long does a female cat stay in heat?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

Cats can be in heat anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks.. the
first one is always unpredictable anyway. Not much you can do but live
through it.. My apologies. If she were my cat, I might find a cage to put
her in till she's through it. (or lock her up in the bathroom)

Do NOT let her out.. any toms that are roaming around have most likely been
exposed to any number of fatal diseases. If she happens to sneak out, and
get pregnant, yes, the vet will just abort the litter, which would be in the
best interest of the world anyway.. Way too many strays in this world..

Good luck.

Old March 1st 04, 05:01 AM
Karen M.

Lisa wrote:
How long does a female cat stay in heat? We have one extremely horny kitty,
who is scheduled to be spayed in two weeks (it's the soonest we could get
her and her sister in, after we took them in as strays). She just started
with the incessant howling this morning and, of course, there's a local male
cat camped out on our doorstep, waiting for her to bust her way out the
door.

So I guess my questions are, in addition to how long does this last, what
can we do to shut her up? I mean, should we just let her go out and get
"serviced?" I hate the idea of the spaying becoming a kitten abortion, but I
just know that between now and then she's gonna get out. She's EXTREMELY
determined to do so...

I'm told that a spay during pregnancy is more complicated due to
increased blood flow.
My babe is in a similar spot, but she doesn't realize that one
solution might be waiting for her if she could only get outside. She
thinks I can help her out. So I do, by distracting her--throwing balls
and toys, doing catnip, and lots of loving.
Lasts about four days IME, with a couple of days of attentiveness
and noise on either end of that. (Mine is a talker, and she tells me
all about it.)
HTH
--Karen M.

Old March 1st 04, 11:01 PM
JoJo

Lisa, the heat can last a few days to a week or two. And once she's through
one heat, it's quite possible for her to go right into another heat (cats
have been known to have just given birth and go right into heat again).
Unfortunately female cats are what is called "polyestrus", which basically
means they will go into heat whenever they please. Keep her indoors until
her date with the vet. And sorry to say, you'll have to listen to the
crying at night, unless you have a sound proof room for her.

JoJo
. com...