Are Hartz Flea Drops Anygood???

Old March 9th 04, 09:59 AM
MICHELLE H.

Default Are Hartz Flea Drops Anygood???

The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and
sister and who were left as strays in a cardboard box on a boating dock.

Anyway, even though they are both fixed, the male goes outside now
because he is the bigger of the two, and he is a GREAT hunter because he
catches mice for us that wander near the house and/or garage. But the
thing that worries me is that the people who live next door to us (
about 10 feet separates our houses ), have about 20 **** Zu dogs running
around in their yard ( chain fenced ). They also run a dog breeding and
dog grooming service, so there are dogs constantly coming and going.

I have seen both my cats starting to scatch themselves all over the past
few days, and now I am worried. Hopefully its just dry skin, and not
dredded fleas!!!!! But to be on the safe side, I still want to protect
them with fleadops. I have read that "Advantage" is the best, but its
also expensive, like $45 dollars I think. I have seen cheaper ones in
the store such as "Zodiac" flea drops for as little as $7.99 which says
100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back, as well as "Hartz
Advanced Care" flea drops for $12.99 which claims to kill both fleas and
flea eggs.

But are these ones any good??? Do they work or are they a waste of
money??? Are they safe??? I would like to get "Advantage" but I am
currently only working part-time, and can't really afford it, but I
don't want fleas in my home, but from the cats scatching up a storm, it
may be to late??? Do the "Hartz Advanced Care" flea drops work, or do I
need to buy the "Advantage"??? Any info. will greatly be appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!

Old March 9th 04, 01:29 PM
---MIKE---

They will give you your money back BUT will they replace your cat?
Don't use any product other than Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution.
The price you mentioned ($45) would be for a package of three. These
can also be purchased on line. Try http:www/noahspets.com

-MIKE

Old March 9th 04, 03:00 PM
Ted Davis

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:59:00 -0500 (EST),
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

[...]

I haven't looked at the current products, but a couple of years ago I
used the Hartz drops with only one death and one illness, both due to
losing control of the cat and the drops going down the side. With 12
cats, Frontline and Advantage were entirely too expensive: my vet
sells them for about $10 US per cat dose.

Someone here told me that I could use the large dog package and divide
it up with a syringe or something. I just did 12 cats and two largish
dogs for $40 and had a little left over. The formula's are nearly
identical: there is a bit more of the flea egg ingredient in the cat
dose.

The cat dose for Frontline is 0.5ml and the large dog package is 4 ml.
If you can find someone to sell you a single large dog dose, and you
can get a small syringe or calibrated dropper and a thightly sealing
bottle, you could apply that approach to your two and get four months
worth for little more than the cost of one month of cat dose for one
cat.

T.E.D. )

Old March 9th 04, 04:22 PM
MaryL

"Ted Davis" wrote in message

I haven't looked at the current products, but a couple of years ago I
used the Hartz drops with only one death and one illness, both due to
losing control of the cat and the drops going down the side. With 12
cats, Frontline and Advantage were entirely too expensive: my vet
sells them for about $10 US per cat dose.

T.E.D. )

You've *got* to be kidding!!! "Only" one death and one illness?! With 12
cats, that means almost 10 percent died and 10 percent became ill, and you
refer to it as "only."

Michelle, people have been working for a number of years in an attempt to
have Hartz withdrawn from the market because of numerous reports of
reactions, including death. You would be much better off to get the larger
quantities of Advantage and dispense it for individual cats. Use google to
search for correct dosage.

MaryL

Old March 9th 04, 06:41 PM
TCS

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:59:00 -0500 (EST), MICHELLE H. wrote:
The warm weather will soon be coming and flea and tick season will be
upon us once again. I am the proud owner of 2 one year old cats ( 1
male, 1 female ). Last year, I adopted the 2 cats who are brother and

DO NOT USE ANY HARTZ INSECT CONTROL PRODUCTS! Their doses are far too
high are you risk killing your pet if you aren't very carefull.

Go to your vet and get something that'll actually work without sickening
your animal.