More cats & ferrets

Old April 17th 04, 12:22 PM
Tristan Miller

Default More cats & ferrets

Greetings.

In article , Randy W. Sims wrote:

I know there was a recent discussion about kittens and ferrets; I found
it usefull. I've been thinking about getting a cat for my ferrets and
me, and I was curious if anyone had any comments on any specific breeds
of cat. I'm leaning toward a tonkinese
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/tonkinese.html at the moment as
it seems likely to get along with (or tolerate) ferrets.

For a while now I've been considering getting a Ragdoll
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ragdoll.html because they're very
affectionate. My only concern would be that they tend to be large cats,
so I'm wondering if anyone here has owned a ragdoll and a ferret
simultaneously could let me know if they mix well...

Regards,
Tristan

--
_
_V.-o Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)] Space is limited
Old April 17th 04, 02:02 PM
Randy W. Sims

On 4/17/2004 7:22 AM, Tristan Miller wrote:

Greetings.

In article , Randy W. Sims wrote:

I know there was a recent discussion about kittens and ferrets; I found
it usefull. I've been thinking about getting a cat for my ferrets and
me, and I was curious if anyone had any comments on any specific breeds
of cat. I'm leaning toward a tonkinese
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/tonkinese.html at the moment as
it seems likely to get along with (or tolerate) ferrets.

For a while now I've been considering getting a Ragdoll
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ragdoll.html because they're very
affectionate. My only concern would be that they tend to be large cats,
so I'm wondering if anyone here has owned a ragdoll and a ferret
simultaneously could let me know if they mix well...

I know someone who has a couple of ragdolls. They are very beautiful
cats (and big). From what I understand though, they are very tame; i.e.
absolutely non-aggressive, which of course is where they get their name.
I'd be afraid that they might not mix well with a ferret's energy and
playfullness. I picture the ragdolls finding a perch to escape the
ferret's antics, but I don't really have any experience with them to
know for sure; it's just the image I get from what I've heard and read.

Randy.

Old April 17th 04, 11:45 PM
Jason and Holly Harper

Ragdolls generally get along with other pets pretty well. Ragdolls and
Ragamuffins are some of my favorite breeds as well. As for the large size,
Texas the porker gets along great with the ferrets. His large size
doesn't mean a thing to the ferrets. They beat him up easily. ;-)

Holly

Old April 19th 04, 12:03 AM
Bikerferret

I have moggies, ragdolls and bengals - all get on with the ferrets in
differing ways. The moggies will actively play with the ferrets, the
ragdolls love watching them (and will put up with no end of hassle from the
more inquisitive ones) while the bengals are more wary, wanting to know what
the ferrets are but not trusting them.

I wouldn't have thought that was a comprehensive description of how each
sort of cat would respond, just my experience.

If you're worried about ragdoll size, my boy is only 12 lbs, the girl even
smaller, so they don't necessarily grow into monsters.

I haven't put up any ferret-cat playtime photos yet, and need to add updated
photos of everyone bar the bengals, but there's a few bits on the website:
www.bikerferret.com

Good luck if you go down the ragdoll route, and let us know what you decide