A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cats - misc
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

cat shows



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 19th 04, 10:44 PM
Kristine Kochanski
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:07:33 GMT, "Tina Laitinen"
wrote:


"Gee" wrote in message
...
I can;t see how they would. Cats are territorial animals and feel very
uncomfortable to downright scared on any new territory. And if that new
territory contains millions of other strange cats, I can just imagine what
exactly poor cat is thinking and feeling, terrified and stressed!

So I fail to understand breed shows as well, and who exactly benefits from
them. However I do like to watch agility shows.

Gee


Personally I think if your going to get a pure breed cat the cat shows are
the best place to go and talk to breeders and learn about the breed of cat.
I think that the cats enjoy being spoiled.


I'm sure they do and I'm sure they're completed spoiled at home, but
it's the cage-strange territory thing that makes me feel uneasy. Why
not bring pics of their cats instead?! ;o)

Personally I'd like a hairless one hehe.


lol! Get a sphynx ;o) I think you probably have to knit them little
jumpers in the winter though ;o)

  #12  
Old April 19th 04, 10:58 PM
Cat Protector
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have been to at least two cat shows and I think they are great. You learn
a lot about and get to see a lot of different breeds. The cats being shown
are used to the shows so they are probably not as scared or nervous as you
might think. Cats are not judged solely on appearance. There are other
things the judges take into consideration. If you really want to know what
cat shows are really about I'd go to the Cat Fanciers Association Web Site.
The addy is www.cfa.org. The best thing about Cat Shows is too enjoy it and
to talk with other cat lovers. My experience was a positive one and I'd go
back.

--
Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
...
Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them. This can't be good for a cat! Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance? Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.

Any breeders care to comment? Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy
the experience. But looking at them and listening to their distressed
mewing - and having a fair understanding of cat behaviour and
psychology - I fail to understand this.



  #13  
Old April 19th 04, 10:58 PM
Cat Protector
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have been to at least two cat shows and I think they are great. You learn
a lot about and get to see a lot of different breeds. The cats being shown
are used to the shows so they are probably not as scared or nervous as you
might think. Cats are not judged solely on appearance. There are other
things the judges take into consideration. If you really want to know what
cat shows are really about I'd go to the Cat Fanciers Association Web Site.
The addy is www.cfa.org. The best thing about Cat Shows is too enjoy it and
to talk with other cat lovers. My experience was a positive one and I'd go
back.

--
Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
...
Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them. This can't be good for a cat! Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance? Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.

Any breeders care to comment? Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy
the experience. But looking at them and listening to their distressed
mewing - and having a fair understanding of cat behaviour and
psychology - I fail to understand this.



  #14  
Old April 20th 04, 01:10 AM
Tina Laitinen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:07:33 GMT, "Tina Laitinen"
wrote:


"Gee" wrote in message
...
I can;t see how they would. Cats are territorial animals and feel very
uncomfortable to downright scared on any new territory. And if that new
territory contains millions of other strange cats, I can just imagine

what
exactly poor cat is thinking and feeling, terrified and stressed!

So I fail to understand breed shows as well, and who exactly benefits

from
them. However I do like to watch agility shows.

Gee


Personally I think if your going to get a pure breed cat the cat shows

are
the best place to go and talk to breeders and learn about the breed of

cat.
I think that the cats enjoy being spoiled.


I'm sure they do and I'm sure they're completed spoiled at home, but
it's the cage-strange territory thing that makes me feel uneasy. Why
not bring pics of their cats instead?! ;o)

Personally I'd like a hairless one hehe.


lol! Get a sphynx ;o) I think you probably have to knit them little
jumpers in the winter though ;o)


Most of the breeders now bring their own cages. I've seen a few custom
built cages that the owners bring.

Pictures is a good idea also.

Tina


  #15  
Old April 20th 04, 01:10 AM
Tina Laitinen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:07:33 GMT, "Tina Laitinen"
wrote:


"Gee" wrote in message
...
I can;t see how they would. Cats are territorial animals and feel very
uncomfortable to downright scared on any new territory. And if that new
territory contains millions of other strange cats, I can just imagine

what
exactly poor cat is thinking and feeling, terrified and stressed!

So I fail to understand breed shows as well, and who exactly benefits

from
them. However I do like to watch agility shows.

Gee


Personally I think if your going to get a pure breed cat the cat shows

are
the best place to go and talk to breeders and learn about the breed of

cat.
I think that the cats enjoy being spoiled.


I'm sure they do and I'm sure they're completed spoiled at home, but
it's the cage-strange territory thing that makes me feel uneasy. Why
not bring pics of their cats instead?! ;o)

Personally I'd like a hairless one hehe.


lol! Get a sphynx ;o) I think you probably have to knit them little
jumpers in the winter though ;o)


Most of the breeders now bring their own cages. I've seen a few custom
built cages that the owners bring.

Pictures is a good idea also.

Tina


  #16  
Old April 20th 04, 01:27 AM
Cheryl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Kristine Kochanski dumped this in
on 19 Apr 2004:

Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them. This can't be good for a cat! Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance? Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.

Any breeders care to comment? Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy
the experience. But looking at them and listening to their distressed
mewing - and having a fair understanding of cat behaviour and
psychology - I fail to understand this.


I went to a TICA cat show last year (my first show, my only show to date)
and the thing that got to me was the tomcat smell. I have to give them
props for alotting some space for our rescue group to showcase some
homeless cats during the show, but after 3 days there, the smell really
got to me. I think for the most part, the contestants are proud of their
cats and want to show them off. I didn't see many cats who were
distressed, other than some males who sprayed the judging stations but
you can't blame them, it was instinct because they smelled other tomcats.
I saw a lot of cats pampered and played with during their cage time, and
those owners who were there for the full 3 days rotated which cats they
brought so many weren't there the whole time.

--
Cheryl
  #17  
Old April 20th 04, 01:27 AM
Cheryl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Kristine Kochanski dumped this in
on 19 Apr 2004:

Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them. This can't be good for a cat! Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance? Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.

Any breeders care to comment? Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy
the experience. But looking at them and listening to their distressed
mewing - and having a fair understanding of cat behaviour and
psychology - I fail to understand this.


I went to a TICA cat show last year (my first show, my only show to date)
and the thing that got to me was the tomcat smell. I have to give them
props for alotting some space for our rescue group to showcase some
homeless cats during the show, but after 3 days there, the smell really
got to me. I think for the most part, the contestants are proud of their
cats and want to show them off. I didn't see many cats who were
distressed, other than some males who sprayed the judging stations but
you can't blame them, it was instinct because they smelled other tomcats.
I saw a lot of cats pampered and played with during their cage time, and
those owners who were there for the full 3 days rotated which cats they
brought so many weren't there the whole time.

--
Cheryl
  #18  
Old April 26th 04, 11:03 PM
good golly Ms Molly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Kristine Kochanski wrote:

Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them

I think you are rather over reacting here. Most of them are quite used
to shows and simply go to sleep in their cages.Perhaps you only saw what
you wanted to see.
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them.

Judges do not pull,poke and prod ect. How could you have seen this when
judging is done behind closed doors normally?
This can't be good for a cat!

Whay do you say this? And why do you use an exclamatian mark to
emphasise it?
Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Well because you have no knowledge of it all I expext you wanted to
believe it was upsetting.
Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance?

Easy, you read and learn the breed standard and see if the cat you are
judging follows this in most respects.
Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?

A certificate doesn't say the cat is beautiful, it says that the cat
closely follows the breed standard with respect to physical appearance.
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (

So don't buy a persian. What is inbreeding?

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.

Probably a good thing as you are too delicate to be allowed outside in
modern society .

Any breeders care to comment? Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy
the experience. But looking at them and listening to their distressed
mewing - and having a fair understanding of cat behaviour and
psychology - I fail to understand this.

You obviously have *no* understanding of cat behaviour. You probably
have one overweight pampered moggy at home and assume that the world is
a nice place full of nice people where nice things happen every day.
And no, I neither breed nor show cats, but have been to several cat
shows because I like cats and have several of them. I didn't see any of
the unhappiness or distress you saw, but then I wasn't trying to read
things into things.Most of the cats I saw were wither asleep in their
cages or purring like crazy and rubbibg their head against any hand put
near the bars quite calmly and happily.
Perhaps it was your po faced presence upsetting the cats? That look of
supercilious disapproval on your face would have scared and unsettled
them no doubt.

  #19  
Old April 26th 04, 11:03 PM
good golly Ms Molly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Kristine Kochanski wrote:

Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them

I think you are rather over reacting here. Most of them are quite used
to shows and simply go to sleep in their cages.Perhaps you only saw what
you wanted to see.
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them.

Judges do not pull,poke and prod ect. How could you have seen this when
judging is done behind closed doors normally?
This can't be good for a cat!

Whay do you say this? And why do you use an exclamatian mark to
emphasise it?
Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Well because you have no knowledge of it all I expext you wanted to
believe it was upsetting.
Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance?

Easy, you read and learn the breed standard and see if the cat you are
judging follows this in most respects.
Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?

A certificate doesn't say the cat is beautiful, it says that the cat
closely follows the breed standard with respect to physical appearance.
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (

So don't buy a persian. What is inbreeding?

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.

Probably a good thing as you are too delicate to be allowed outside in
modern society .

Any breeders care to comment? Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy
the experience. But looking at them and listening to their distressed
mewing - and having a fair understanding of cat behaviour and
psychology - I fail to understand this.

You obviously have *no* understanding of cat behaviour. You probably
have one overweight pampered moggy at home and assume that the world is
a nice place full of nice people where nice things happen every day.
And no, I neither breed nor show cats, but have been to several cat
shows because I like cats and have several of them. I didn't see any of
the unhappiness or distress you saw, but then I wasn't trying to read
things into things.Most of the cats I saw were wither asleep in their
cages or purring like crazy and rubbibg their head against any hand put
near the bars quite calmly and happily.
Perhaps it was your po faced presence upsetting the cats? That look of
supercilious disapproval on your face would have scared and unsettled
them no doubt.

  #20  
Old April 26th 04, 11:08 PM
good golly Ms Molly
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Gee wrote:


"Kristine Kochanski" wrote in message
...
Just wondering what the general consensus was on cat shows? I ask
because I attended one the other day and was quite upset at seeing
distressed, miserable cats kept in 2ft cages for hours, with hundreds
of strangers (me included!) milling around staring and cooing at them
- and men in white coats pulling them out and poking, stretching and
prodding them. This can't be good for a cat! Every cat was obviously
incredibly loved and pampered, I just find this act of 'showing'
rather uneasy.

Firstly, how can you judge a cat on appearance? Aren't they all
beautiful whether they have a certificate that says so or not?


I sooo agree with your comment. I just can;t see how one cat is more
beautiful than the other. If you love animals you love them all, or you
don't love animals. It's simple really.
Oh for goodness sake what a silly thing to say.

I don't like all animals but would class myself as an animal lover. I
don't like spiders and there are some breeds of dog I dislike, but I
still like animals.
Secondly, should people, in this so-called civilised day and age, be
*rewarded* for inbreeding? For example, the flatness of a Persian
cat's face really upsets me (


Totally, various purebred animals (cats and dogs) have so many
breed-associatted problems that instead of helping them overcome them, those
crazy people keep emphasising and enlarging the issues for the sake of money
and fame of a human! I do wonder sometimes if breeders do LOVE their
animals, or are they in it just for the money.

I left the show feeling quite bewildered and negative and I'm sure I
will never attend such an event again.


Nor me. I am all for equality in all respects for everyone, and this
competition thing (animals , people anything really) is just very pathetic.
There is a place for everyone in this world.

Any breeders care to comment?


I'm not a breeder, God forbid, all of mine have been done as soon as they
walked into my life.

Dare say they will claim the cats enjoy the experience.


I can;t see how they would. Cats are territorial animals and feel very
uncomfortable to downright scared on any new territory. And if that new
territory contains millions of other strange cats, I can just imagine what
exactly poor cat is thinking and feeling, terrified and stressed!

That is called anthropomorphising and not a good thing.

So I fail to understand breed shows as well, and who exactly benefits from
them. However I do like to watch agility shows.

HAve you ever *been* to a cat show Gee?

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High everybody-looking for the website that shows CARB and PROTEIN content for kitty food! thanks. edirol Cat health & behaviour 14 September 14th 04 11:02 PM
Las Vegas OT Bev Cat anecdotes 28 May 11th 04 07:20 PM
Mighty huntress shows mighty annoyance ;-) dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 2 November 12th 03 12:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.