Oak Park, IL limits number of dogs and cats per house

Old September 15th 04, 05:21 AM
Steve Dufour

Default Oak Park, IL limits number of dogs and cats per house

Illinois village going to the dogs

Oak Park, IL, Sep. 14 (UPI) -- The Village Board of Oak Park, Ill.,
has increased the number of dogs that can live in a single-family
residence from two to three.

The town's two-dog per house limit had not changed since it was
enacted in 1904. A woman who owns three dogs challenged the law after
she was given the choice of getting rid of one animal or moving out of
town.

Irate neighbors mounted a petition drive to get the board to
reconsider the two-dog limit.

"I'm happy that I stuck with it. It was pretty painful, so I'm glad
that maybe other people who might want three dogs can avoid that pain
now," Bailey told the Chicago Tribune.

Village Board members did not change the one-dog per household limit
in multifamily residences with four or more units. The two-dog limit
remains per household in two and three flat apartment buildings.

Residents of a single-family home can have four cats, while apartment
dwellers are limited to two felines.
Old September 15th 04, 07:29 PM
Steve Dufour

Oak Park, IL, Sep. 14 (UPI) -- The Village Board of Oak Park, Ill.,
has increased the number of dogs that can live in a single-family
residence from two to three.

I've searched a couple times for any logic for such limitations and
have found none. Anyone have ideas? I do not see a direct
correlation between some arbitrary number of dogs (or cats) and all
single-family residences in terms of problems for the community.

I think there could be health and safety issues if there were too many
dogs or cats in one house. But I think 2 or 3 is way too low. Maybe
8 or 9 might be a more reasonable limit.

Are there similar restrictions for children anywhere?

China.

--kyler

Old September 15th 04, 09:28 PM
Ashley

"Steve Dufour" wrote in message
om...

I think there could be health and safety issues if there were too many
dogs or cats in one house. But I think 2 or 3 is way too low. Maybe
8 or 9 might be a more reasonable limit.

Whatever happened to individual choice and responsibility? Talk about Big
Brother!

Old September 16th 04, 03:01 AM
Ted Davis

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:10:55 GMT, Kyler Laird
wrote:

(Steve Dufour) writes:

Oak Park, IL, Sep. 14 (UPI) -- The Village Board of Oak Park, Ill.,
has increased the number of dogs that can live in a single-family
residence from two to three.

I've searched a couple times for any logic for such limitations and
have found none. Anyone have ideas? I do not see a direct
correlation between some arbitrary number of dogs (or cats) and all
single-family residences in terms of problems for the community.

It's easy to see the reasoning in 1904: dogs (and cats) mostly ran
loose; rabies was common, if not rampant, and even if the Pasteur
vaccine was available, it was dangerous (up to 14% lethality); attacks
by dogs on humans, especially children were frequent occurrences; and
of course, dogs mess in other people's yards, stink, and bark - all of
these considerations are directly proportional to the number of dogs
and their density. Cats weren't neutered and we all know that a large
population of intact adult cats is not something you want to live next
door to.

In more modern times, some of those objections have been mitigated,
but dog noise, attacks, and messes - even where leash laws exist and
are observed - are still problems, as are intact cats. Then there are
animal hoarders who often stink up an entire neighborhood with the
odors from their houses/apartments and often are not really very good
to/for the animals because they simply can't cope.

Are there similar restrictions for children anywhere?

China tried a one child policy, but enforcement proved impossible and
actually raised the rate of infanticide and child abandonment (of
female babies).

--
T.E.D. )