cat bites

Old July 22nd 03, 04:05 AM
Stacy Lynn

Default cat bites

I was bitten by a kitten this morning.

I know that cat bites can be dangerous (I've been bitten by cats
before) and being as this was a stray kitten, I wanted to make sure
that the wound was seen to properly and I recieved the necessary
shots. I also reported it to animal control. Pretty standard
procedure - the dr makes you report it in case of rabies or whatever
even though I'm pretty sure there is no rabies involved.

In any event, the animal control came and trapped one of the baby
kittens and the mom. 3 kittens are still unaccounted for.

The cats will most likely be put to sleep after a 10 day quarantine
period. They are wild, as wild as any wild creature. The kittens
have a chance of being rehabilitated. They are 6 weeks old. But i
don't know if it will happen.

I feel horrible about this whole situation. It just breaks my heart.
Why can't people spay and neuter their pets? Then it never would have
happened in the first place. I just startled the kittens; that is the
only reason it bit me. It was scared. I was moving some wood around
in their hiding place when I was bit.

I'm trying to console myself with the thought that they would just
have a life of pain and hardship if they idn't get caught... getting
hit by cars, being attacked by dogs and wild animals, running out of
food, diseases, etc. But it is so hard. I have 5 cats of my own (all
fixed and indoor only!) and I just love animals so much. It just
breaks my heart.

http://www.stacyinthecity.com
Old July 22nd 03, 04:45 AM
Arjun Ray

In , Stacy Lynn
wrote:

| I was bitten by a kitten this morning.

| I also reported it to animal control.

That was a death sentence.

| In any event, the animal control came and trapped one of the baby
| kittens and the mom. 3 kittens are still unaccounted for.
|
| The cats will most likely be put to sleep after a 10 day quarantine
| period.

If you are in New York City, you're wrong. By statute, the retention
period for ferals is 72 hours, but that hasn't been observed in years.
As soon as the holding cage is needed - which may not be even 24 hours -
it's curtains.

| They are wild, as wild as any wild creature. The kittens have a
| chance of being rehabilitated.

Not by the CACC. Make no mistake: calling Animal Control has only one
outcome.

| They are 6 weeks old. But i don't know if it will happen.

It won't. The mamacat and the kitten are history. The other three may
make it in the wild - 6 weeks makes them barely viable on their own.

| I was moving some wood around in their hiding place when I was bit.

Did you know they were there?

| I'm trying to console myself with the thought that they would just
| have a life of pain and hardship if they idn't get caught

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That you couldn't have helped
these kittens and their mother even if you wanted to?

Do you put food outside for strays and ferals?

Do you call Animal Control every time you see a stray or feral, on the
street or in your back yard?

You didn't say if Animal Control was going to come back for the other
three kittens. I'm guessing they won't unless you call them again.

Old June 23rd 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Richard Casady

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:05:56 -0700, Stacy Lynn
wrote:

[...]

I lost everything I owned in a fire, including four cats and a dog. I
I Lost Katie, Bob, Moe, Lil, and the COS, [CatOfScum.] Tell me about
heartbreak.

Casady
Old October 28th 11, 11:51 AM
Cassius Cassius is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Lynn View Post
[...]

My 7 month old kitten (who is up to date on all vaccines) bit me today while I was giving her a bath. She HATES baths. I didn't think she would get so mad as to bite me though. Anyway, the bite is on my wrist. I just remember looking at the holes before it started bleeding and seeing how deep they were! It was terrible. It's purple and bruised around each hole. It took at least 30 minutes to get it to stop throbbing and even then it hurt all evening. I had shooting pain up my wrist and into my hand. It only bled for about 10 minutes. I put ice on it and peroxide. Should I go to the doctor with this or just see how it is and keep cleaning it?
I am up to date on all my vaccines.
I am just worried about how deep it is and if bacteria will get trapped in there.
What do you guys think?
Old November 5th 11, 03:41 AM
adiposestem adiposestem is offline
Junior Member