OT - Need recipes

Old December 20th 04, 02:19 AM
badwilson

Default OT - Need recipes

We're having this cocktail party on the 23rd and I have to make a
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old December 20th 04, 02:37 AM
Bill Stock

"badwilson" wrote in message
We're having this cocktail party on the 23rd and I have to make a
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's
covered in fur!
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Crab Ring

1 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 pint sour cream
3 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 cup crab meat
1 cup cucumber
1/4 small onion

Place gelatin in cold water. Heat over boiling water to disolve. Put sour
cream, vinegar, salt and gelatin in a blender; blend until mixed. Add crab
meat, cucumber and onion and blend on low until chopped. Chill in a 1 qt
mold. Garnish with cucumber, radish, etc.

Old December 20th 04, 02:49 AM
Victor Martinez

badwilson wrote:
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?

What kind of ingredients can you get? A very easy appetizer is to let a
block of cream cheese come to room temperature, then top with a jar of
raspberry preserves. Serve with crackers. For an extra kick, mix the
raspberry preservers with a chopped chipotle pepper.

The following has been a hit every time I've served it:

Delicias de salmon (yes, I just made up the name)

1 baguette, cut in slices
1 cup creme fraiche (see below if you can't get this)
1/2 cup goat cheese
1-2 canned chipotle peppers
1/2 lb smoked salmon (more if you like it a lot)
capers
baby arugula for garnish (could substitute parsley)

Chop the peppers finely and mix with the creme fraiche and the goat
cheese. If the mixture is too thick, add some of the canned peppers'
juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. If it's too strong for
your taste, add a tbsp of honey to balance the flavors.
Top each bread slice with smoked salmon. Add about 1 tbsp of cream and
top with capers. Garnish with baby arugula.

Variations include to add some chopped scalions or cucumber to the
cream, or even olives.
If you can't find creme fraiche do the following. Get a pint of heavy
cream, warm it up on the stove. Add 1 tbsp yogurt and let sit for a few
hours. Once it's thick, refrigerate and presto: creme fraiche!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 20th 04, 03:33 AM
Yowie

"badwilson" wrote in message
We're having this cocktail party on the 23rd and I have to make a
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?

Tuna stuff to stick on toast, jatz, whatever:

Tuna with:

Chili paste
lemon and pepper
Basil & tomato
wasabe and soy
sesame seeds, lemon grass & coriander
Mushrooms & bacon

And I'm always happy to eat soft white cheese (philedelphia, ricotta etc
etc) with sweet chilli sauce & guacamole with my chips / jatz/ wedges /
toast / dippy things too.

Yowie

Old December 20th 04, 04:14 AM
Yoj

Dips are usually popular, and don't usually require much work. My favoret
is California Dip, made by combining one envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
with one pint of sour cream. Serve with chips and/or assorted veggies -
baby carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, celery, red bell
pepper, mushrooms or whatever.

Joy

Old December 20th 04, 05:58 AM
Tanada

badwilson wrote:

We're having this cocktail party on the 23rd and I have to make a
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?

Rob's SIL makes this cracker spread

1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 C. chili sauce
3/4 C. chopped green pepper
1/2 C chopped green onions
1 can tiny shrimp
1/2 C chopped black olives
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

spread cream cheese on large plate. Cover with chili sauce. layer the
rest of the ingredients on top in the order given. Serve with crackers.

Chili Been Dip
With apologies to true chili affectionados

2 cans chili without beans
1 large jar cheese whiz
few drops tobasco sauce
dash chili powder

heat the above ingredients on low heat, until cheese is melted and it is
mixed together. keep warm to serve, a small crock pot works nicely for
this. serve with corn, taco, or tortilla chips

Pam S. hoping you can find the ingredients for whatever recipes you choose

It sounds different, but we love it.

Pam S.

Old December 20th 04, 09:14 AM
jmcquown

badwilson wrote:
We're having this cocktail party on the 23rd and I have to make a
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?

Got a crock pot? One of the best things I ever served at a company pot luck
was chicken thighs which had been browned (okay you don't have an oven;
could brown them on the BBQ or in a large skillet). Then you put them in a
crock pot with a little light soy sauce, slice up some ginger root, garlic,
chopped spring onion, I think I threw a small but not too hot pepper in.
You could also use a mild chili-garlic sauce, I'm thinking. Anyway,
slow-cook on low for several hours until the chicken thighs are tender and
serve with a little of the sauce spooned over.

I'm sure you could do this *very* slowly on a stove-top; you'd have to make
sure you stir it frequently. Everyone loved this and IIRC it was based on a
recipe my mom got when we lived in Bangkok.

Jill

Old December 20th 04, 06:24 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:19:50 +0700, "badwilson"
wrote:

We're having this cocktail party on the 23rd and I have to make a
bunch of appy's. I haven't got a clue about what to make! I have a
stove top and a microwave and a BBQ but no oven, so I can't do
anything that requires baking. Any ideas?
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's
covered in fur!
Check out pictures of Vino at:

This is a very simple appetizer I got from somewhere years ago. All
you need is some cotto salami slices and some cream cheese. Spread
the cream cheese on the salami, and roll it up (cream cheese inside);
fasten with several toothpicks, and then cut (three pieces seems to
work well). Voila! Instant, high-protein and yummy appetizer.

Ginger-lyn
omg! I posted a recipe!

Old December 20th 04, 06:53 PM
Jo Firey

Quick, easy and fairly popular. Either cocktail hotdogs, or small meatballs
in warm BBQ sauce.

Or even just cheese and crackers. Maybe make a cheese ball.

Jo

Old December 21st 04, 02:36 AM
Yowie

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
Quick, easy and fairly popular. Either cocktail hotdogs, or small

meatballs
in warm BBQ sauce.

Or even just cheese and crackers. Maybe make a cheese ball.

For dips, an easy and yummy one is an approximatley 1:1 mix of corn relish
and sour cream.

And just plain old hoummous with toasted lebanese or other flat bread
(toasted till its stiff and crunchy) is a low fat and yummy alternative too.

So it Tzatziki (cucumber dip) and cottage cheese with crushed pineapple
through it.

Yowie

An idea to discuss (recipes/rpca emergency fund) Debbie Wilson Cat anecdotes 56 December 24th 04 09:19 PM
Sharing Recipes Sherry Cat anecdotes 17 October 20th 04 05:27 AM
OT Lentil recipes Karen Cat anecdotes 60 September 28th 04 03:37 AM
Recipes: Cat variety Bill Stock Cat anecdotes 58 September 7th 04 05:46 AM
[OT] Holiday Recipes Yowie Cat anecdotes 60 November 21st 03 10:07 PM