A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cats - misc
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Animals cannot be disappointed.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old May 7th 05, 07:08 PM
Dutch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


[email protected] wrote in message ...
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

wrote:
Yes they can.
I did write that, and it's true.


You write lots of ****, virtually all of it false. You
****ing bonehead.


Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can. Sad you're not able to understand that.

One absurd "reason" you feel that life isn't worthy
of consideration for any animals, is because you don't
feel that they are capable of experiencing positive
emotions


It's irrelevant. Farming an animal for food disqualifies you
from claiming a moral bonus from the fact that the animal
"experiences life". You don't get to kill and eat them and
also feel smug that you 'allowed them the privilege of life'.
This kind of "double-dipping" is intuitively distateful to anyone
with a moral compass, something you evidently lack.


  #12  
Old May 7th 05, 08:51 PM
GWB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:31:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Bull****. You are projecting. It's called
anthropomorphization: the projection of human
characteristics onto non-human things.


Yeah, animals hate it when people do that!

  #13  
Old May 8th 05, 05:38 PM
Bawl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


GWB wrote:
On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:31:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Bull****. You are projecting. It's called
anthropomorphization: the projection of human
characteristics onto non-human things.


Yeah, animals hate it when people do that!



damn straight! They get severely disappointed.

  #14  
Old May 8th 05, 06:00 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:31:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

Joanne wrote:

[email protected] wrote in message ...

On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can.



Definitely true of parrots. Billy, my Severe Macaw makes a disappointed
vocal when he wants to come out to play and I have to walk away without him.
It's not a scream for attention; it's a quick, low vocalization of
disappointment without doubt.


Bull****.


She is quite likely to be a good and decent person Goonad,
so try not acting like such the ass.

You are projecting. It's called
anthropomorphization: the projection of human
characteristics onto non-human things.


LOL!!! For one thing Goo, you are the LAST person who
could possibly have a clue about something like that, because
you can't even comprehend such things. As you say, facts
like that are bull**** to you--completely beyond your ability to
comprehend--yet they are quite obvious to many people. But
the funniest part is: you are the one who thinks a fantasy about
a talking pig who knows he's going to be killed and made into
ham and sausages, somehow discredits the fact that many farm
animals benefit from farming. Hilarious! You "ARAs" are a hoot,
I'll say that about you.
  #15  
Old May 8th 05, 06:27 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 7 May 2005 11:08:24 -0700, "Dutch" wrote:


[email protected] wrote in message ...
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

wrote:
Yes they can.
I did write that, and it's true.

You write lots of ****, virtually all of it false. You
****ing bonehead.


Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can. Sad you're not able to understand that.

One absurd "reason" you feel that life isn't worthy
of consideration for any animals, is because you don't
feel that they are capable of experiencing positive
emotions


It's irrelevant. Farming an animal for food disqualifies you
from claiming a moral bonus from the fact that the animal
"experiences life".


No it doesn't.

You don't get to kill and eat them and
also feel smug that you 'allowed them the privilege of life'.


I can feel good that animals get to experience a decent
life because humans raise them for food. Even the cls.

This kind of "double-dipping" is intuitively distateful to anyone
with a moral compass, something you evidently lack.


So do you apparently, because you think you get a moral
bonus for being beyond inconsiderate, to the point that
you OPPOSE consideration of what the billions of animals
get out of the arrangement. And you do it for the purely
selfish reason that it disturbs you that people raise animals
for food.
  #16  
Old May 8th 05, 06:29 PM
usual suspect
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Joanne wrote:
[email protected] wrote in message ...

On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can.



Definitely true of parrots.


No, it isn't.

Billy, my Severe Macaw makes a disappointed
vocal when he wants to come out to play and I have to walk away without him.
It's not a scream for attention; it's a quick, low vocalization of
disappointment without doubt.


You're anthropomorphizing.

  #17  
Old May 8th 05, 06:44 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:17:45 GMT, "Joanne" wrote:


[email protected] wrote in message ...
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can.


Definitely true of parrots. Billy, my Severe Macaw makes a disappointed
vocal when he wants to come out to play and I have to walk away without him.
It's not a scream for attention; it's a quick, low vocalization of
disappointment without doubt.


It's not too surprising, though I had wondered if birds experience it.
I never saw chickens show signs of it, but when something is taken
from them that they like, the hens have ways of showing they are
feeling the loss. I made a reply to the Gonad (sometimes posting
as Rudy Canoza) which is a quote from Darwin regarding his dog
expessing disappoinment. You might find the page of some interest:

http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...pression02.htm

Darwin also explained his belief that emotions evolved as life itself
did, and my impression is that he feels some animals are capable
of more than others, which is almost certainly how it is. I read it a
few years ago, and didn't save any of the quotes or mark the
location, and haven't been able to find it. Gonad, if your reading this
do something useful and hunt it up, along with your superior term
for "experiencing life".
  #18  
Old May 8th 05, 06:44 PM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:52:02 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

[email protected] wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:


wrote:

Yes they can.
I did write that, and it's true.

You write lots of ****, virtually all of it false. You
****ing bonehead.



Animals experience disappointment


No, they don't.

__________________________________________________ _______
The writings of Charles Darwin on the web
by John van Wyhe Ph.D.
[...]
I formerly possessed a large dog, who, like every other dog, was much
pleased to go out walking. He showed his pleasure by trotting gravely
before me with high steps, head much raised, moderately erected ears,
and tail carried aloft but not stiffly. Not far from my house a path branches
off to the right, leading to the hot-house, which I used often to visit for a
few moments, to look at my experimental plants. This was always a great
disappointment to the dog, as he did not know whether I should continue
my walk; and the instantaneous and complete change of expression which
came over him as soon as my body swerved in the least towards the path
(and I sometimes tried this as an experiment) was laughable. His look of
dejection was known to every member of the family, and was called his
hot-house face. This consisted in the head drooping much, the whole body
sinking a little and remaining motionless; the ears and tail falling suddenly
down, but the tail was by no means wagged. With the falling of the ears and
of his great chaps, the eyes became much changed in appearance, and I
fancied that they looked less bright. His aspect was that of piteous, hopeless
dejection; and it was, as I have said, laughable, as the cause was so slight.
[...]
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...pression02.htm
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
  #19  
Old May 8th 05, 06:52 PM
Rudy Canoza
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[email protected] wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:31:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:


Joanne wrote:


[email protected] wrote in message ...


On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:
Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can.


Definitely true of parrots. Billy, my Severe Macaw makes a disappointed
vocal when he wants to come out to play and I have to walk away without him.
It's not a scream for attention; it's a quick, low vocalization of
disappointment without doubt.


Bull****.



She is quite likely to be a good and decent person


That's lovely. She still said some bull****, though.


You are projecting. It's called
anthropomorphization: the projection of human
characteristics onto non-human things.



LOL!!! For one thing Goo


****wit, we have been through this befo YOU are
the goober. "Goober" is an insult and slur against
stupid ****witted southern rednecks, and YOU are the
stupid ****witted southern redneck. YOU are the
Goober. Don't make this mistake again.


you are the LAST person who
could possibly have a clue about something like that


No, ****wit. I am the one who knows about this. You
didn't even know the word "anthropomorphization" until
I told it to you, and it's doubtful you even really
know what it means now.
  #20  
Old May 8th 05, 06:54 PM
Rudy Canoza
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[email protected] wrote:

On Sat, 7 May 2005 11:08:24 -0700, "Dutch" wrote:


[email protected] wrote in message ...

On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:


wrote:

Yes they can.
I did write that, and it's true.

You write lots of ****, virtually all of it false. You
****ing bonehead.

Animals experience disappointment Goo. Almost any
child with a dog could tell you about it. It doesn't mean
that all animals can, but it does mean some of them
can. Sad you're not able to understand that.

One absurd "reason" you feel that life isn't worthy
of consideration for any animals, is because you don't
feel that they are capable of experiencing positive
emotions


It's irrelevant. Farming an animal for food disqualifies you
from claiming a moral bonus from the fact that the animal
"experiences life".



No it doesn't.


Yes, Goober****wit, it does.


You don't get to kill and eat them and
also feel smug that you 'allowed them the privilege of life'.



I can feel good that animals get to experience a decent
life because humans raise them for food. Even the cls.


You can feel better that they experience a decent life
rather than a ****ty life, but you may not legitimately
feel better that they experienced life rather than
never living.


This kind of "double-dipping" is intuitively distasteful to anyone
with a moral compass, something you evidently lack.



So do you apparently


No, he has a very well functioning moral compass. You
hvae none at all.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Distressing Article Phil P. Cat health & behaviour 2 December 15th 04 01:51 AM
Animals are not currency Michael Cat anecdotes 18 September 14th 04 01:20 PM
Friend in Oshkosh Wisconsin needs help! Batson Cat health & behaviour 10 May 26th 04 08:47 PM
NEW PET ANIMALS BULLETIN BOARD SERVICE! Animalsrus1 Cat rescue 1 August 1st 03 12:19 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright İ2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.