Hiding cat ?

Old May 24th 05, 03:25 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

Default Hiding cat ?

We just got a cat from the Humane Society; when we were "picking her
out," she was very friendly, and outgoing, purring to beat the band.
When we got her home, she immediately went and hid under the bed, and
she won't come out. I am assuming that she's frightened of the new
surroundings, but is there any way to get her to "warm" to us again,
and come out from under the bed ?

Thanks,
Shell

Old May 24th 05, 03:48 PM
bigbadbarry

"UsedtobeRumouredToBe"
I am assuming that she's frightened of the new
surroundings, but is there any way to get her to "warm" to us again,
and come out from under the bed ?

Thanks,
Shell

Ha! She probably thinks your trying to return her to the shelter...lol

--
Barry

.... Women and cats are both black at night. - Bosnia ...

Old May 24th 05, 03:59 PM
Justin L

On 24 May 2005 07:25:37 -0700, "UsedtobeRumouredToBe"
wrote:

We just got a cat from the Humane Society; when we were "picking her
out," she was very friendly, and outgoing, purring to beat the band.
When we got her home, she immediately went and hid under the bed, and
she won't come out. I am assuming that she's frightened of the new
surroundings, but is there any way to get her to "warm" to us again,
and come out from under the bed ?

Thanks,
Shell

Just be patient and let her get used to your place. She should come
out eventually..

Justin
Little known to the world at large, but Spielberg and Lucas are
actually the same person. They only look different due to the
machinations of Industrial Light and Magic. The whole "Luc(as), I am
your father" is a reference to this.
Old May 24th 05, 04:02 PM
John Doe

"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote:

We just got a cat from the Humane Society; when we were "picking
her out," she was very friendly, and outgoing, purring to beat
the band. When we got her home, she immediately went and hid
under the bed, and she won't come out. I am assuming that she's
frightened of the new surroundings, but is there any way to get
her to "warm" to us again, and come out from under the bed ?

Probably. However long it takes, when she does come out from under
the bed, make a point to be nice to her. Try saying nice things in
a friendly tone of voice. And try not to step on her.

Lower animals are very good example of such things like "do unto
others as you would have them do unto you". Animals like to play,
but they don't play mind games. However slowly, they respond to
kindness. When you try (and trying might mean having patience),
they will respond.

Something else I find useful is to realize that my pet will not
learn like a child learns. The way to get along is for me to
understand my cat, not to expect my cat to understand me. They can
be frustrating, but you have the brains.

All that is assuming you have a healthy cat.

Good luck.

Old May 24th 05, 04:57 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article .com,
"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote:

We just got a cat from the Humane Society; when we were "picking her
out," she was very friendly, and outgoing, purring to beat the band.
When we got her home, she immediately went and hid under the bed, and
she won't come out. I am assuming that she's frightened of the new
surroundings, but is there any way to get her to "warm" to us again,
and come out from under the bed ?

Time, safety, food... Make sure she has access to food, water, and
litter box and she'll come out once she's feeling more comfortable.

Changing location is harder for cats than changing people, so it takes a
bit of adjustment when they're moved into new quarters.

Your patience will be rewarded! :-)

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong
Old May 24th 05, 05:21 PM
Mary

"UsedtobeRumouredToBe" wrote in message
oups.com...
We just got a cat from the Humane Society; when we were "picking her
out," she was very friendly, and outgoing, purring to beat the band.
When we got her home, she immediately went and hid under the bed, and
she won't come out. I am assuming that she's frightened of the new
surroundings, but is there any way to get her to "warm" to us again,
and come out from under the bed ?

Just be patient and gentle, she will come out. Put food and water out,
I might even speak to her softly and show her the food by sticking it under
the bed, then put it down whereever you want it. She has been through a
lot and has no idea what is in store now, probably. Do you have any other
animals, or did you, as in is the scent of another animal around?

Old May 24th 05, 06:02 PM
UsedtobeRumouredToBe

This is complicated, so hang in there. My wife and I have three cats
and two dogs, but we were only looking after the cat for an old lady,
who adopted her the next day.

Still in hiding Singh Cat anecdotes 36 October 25th 04 04:22 PM
Hiding and Seeking O J Cat anecdotes 16 July 10th 04 01:43 AM
Question about Eye shifting and Hiding behaviors in new adoptee Ro Cat health & behaviour 6 July 9th 04 08:53 PM
Sammy's new hiding place Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 18 April 22nd 04 05:34 AM
New cat still hiding after 30 hours [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 4 July 14th 03 04:22 PM