Kitten feeding question

Old September 14th 05, 12:12 PM
Wendy

Default Kitten feeding question

I was at the vet the other day getting two of my fosters FIV/FeLV tested
(both negative) and the receptionist asked if I could take a 3-4 wk old
kitten someone had dumped there. They sent me home with a can of Hill's A/D.
She didn't eat much the first day (I supplemented with Nutri-cal and got her
to drink some water using a dropper) but started chowing down a mixture of
A/D and KMR yesterday. The can is just about empty so my question is should
she be ok eating regular kitten food now or do I need to try to get more A/D
from the vet.

She was corroded with fleas at first but the vet treated her with Capstar.
They also wormed her. They gave me some Revolution and told me to use that
on her in about a month.

Old September 14th 05, 12:16 PM
Joe Canuck

Wendy wrote:

I was at the vet the other day getting two of my fosters FIV/FeLV tested
(both negative) and the receptionist asked if I could take a 3-4 wk old
kitten someone had dumped there. They sent me home with a can of Hill's A/D.
She didn't eat much the first day (I supplemented with Nutri-cal and got her
to drink some water using a dropper) but started chowing down a mixture of
A/D and KMR yesterday. The can is just about empty so my question is should
she be ok eating regular kitten food now or do I need to try to get more A/D
from the vet.

She was corroded with fleas at first but the vet treated her with Capstar.
They also wormed her. They gave me some Revolution and told me to use that
on her in about a month.

I'd suggest you call the vet and follow their instructions.

Old September 14th 05, 12:49 PM
Wendy

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

I was at the vet the other day getting two of my fosters FIV/FeLV tested
(both negative) and the receptionist asked if I could take a 3-4 wk old
kitten someone had dumped there. They sent me home with a can of Hill's
A/D. She didn't eat much the first day (I supplemented with Nutri-cal and
got her to drink some water using a dropper) but started chowing down a
mixture of A/D and KMR yesterday. The can is just about empty so my
question is should she be ok eating regular kitten food now or do I need
to try to get more A/D from the vet.

She was corroded with fleas at first but the vet treated her with
Capstar. They also wormed her. They gave me some Revolution and told me
to use that on her in about a month.

I'd suggest you call the vet and follow their instructions.

If the vet wanted her on another can of A/D they would have said that in the
instructions. They gave me the one can almost as an after thought - oh here
it's open you might as well take it. I am not familiar with A/D, am not sure
of the benefits it's supposed to have and was just asking if it is worth
trying to get another can for her or whether as long as she's eating well
etc. it's not necessary.

Old September 14th 05, 01:10 PM
Karen

On 2005-09-14 06:49:24 -0500, "Wendy" said:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

[...]

I'd call and ask, but most likely you can put her on a mixture of
kitten food and KMR. I'd get canned kitten food. Usually there is IAMS
kitten food at the super and science diet at the pet stores.

Old September 14th 05, 03:38 PM
Wendy

On 2005-09-14 06:49:24 -0500, "Wendy" said:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

[...]

I've got cans of kitten food coming out the ears lol. This little one is one
of 9 kittens I'm fostering at the moment so I'm stocked up on kitten food. I
think I'll mix in some of the regular food with the next batch I mix up for
her and see how she makes out with it. I'm mixing in the KMR so I can get
the consistency to something she can/will eat.

Old September 14th 05, 05:36 PM
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

[...]

a/d is higher in fat, but Science Diet Kitten is much higher in protein and
has a higher caloric and nutrient density. Kittens need a caloric- and
nutrient-dense diet because the size of their small stomach limits their
intake. IOW, they need to derive a lot of nutrients for their growing body
from a smaller amount of food.

The only advantage of a/d is its syringable. A/d is a recovery diet that
was designed for cats recovering from surgery, illness, or malnutrition. I
think SD Kitten is actually a better recovery diet than a/d.

I'd put the kitten back on SD Kitten food.

Good luck,

Phil

Old September 14th 05, 06:52 PM
Wendy

[...]