My big fat feline brother

Old September 14th 05, 09:17 PM
Candace

Default My big fat feline brother

After much chasing, we got my mom's cat, Henry, to the vet today. He
weighs 17.9 pounds. He is 35 percent over his ideal weight and is now
on Hill's r/d canned and dry. He's supposed to lose 5 pounds over the
next several months. He got his distemper and rabies shot (state law
here although not in AZ where I live).

Other than that, he is in good health except he needs to have his teeth
cleaned but my mom won't be able to take him on her own probably so he
won't get it done for several months until I come back to visit. Poor
guy will really hate me if he has to go to the vet every time I show
up.

Well, I feel better now that he's had a checkup and has a diet plan. I
figure if he loses 3 or 4 pounds that would be pretty good. I'm sure
my mom will let him cheat sometimes on his diet but it will be nice if
he loses some of that weight. Then she could probably take him to the
vet herself if he wasn't so huge and unwieldy in his carrier. I
actually thought he would weigh about 20 pounds.

Candace

Old September 14th 05, 09:35 PM
Topaz

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
After much chasing, we got my mom's cat, Henry, to the vet today. He
weighs 17.9 pounds. [...]

I really like Henry's name, Candace. I think it is cute to call cats by
human names like that.

Well, I feel better now that he's had a checkup and has a diet plan. I
figure if he loses 3 or 4 pounds that would be pretty good. I'm sure
my mom will let him cheat sometimes on his diet but it will be nice if
he loses some of that weight. Then she could probably take him to the
vet herself if he wasn't so huge and unwieldy in his carrier. I
actually thought he would weigh about 20 pounds.

If your mom has trouble getting him to lose weight, she might try an
all-canned diet. That worked for my fatty boy Topaz. All I did was
switch him to a couple big cans a day, then down in quantity little
by little, supervised by his vet. He still has a way to go but has lost
three pounds in a year.

Old September 14th 05, 10:36 PM
Karen

Good luck! I hope Henry has more luck that Pearl. I have SUCH a hard time.
She doesn't just YOWL when she wants more food but pokes at me incessantly
and nibbles at me. She doesn't have as much as Henry to lose, but 2 or 3 lbs
would not go amiss.

oups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 11:03 PM
Chuck

Topaz wrote in message ...

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hi Topaz,

Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
I have tried giving more canned, only to
give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
cow-pie poops. Is something else going
on, as a reason for this?

One, Hoagie, is a mini-cat, or at least is
considerably smaller than all the rest. But
he weighs as much as the largest... gotta
get that guy to loose some weight or he'll
be paying for it when he's older.

Chuck

Old September 15th 05, 12:52 AM
Candace

Topaz wrote:

I really like Henry's name, Candace. I think it is cute to call cats by
human names like that.

Yes, me, too. All the cats I have had as an adult have had human
names...except Marbles who came with that name from his previous
owners. They did give him a human middle name, Lloyd, after their
son's grandfather so we still use that, too, especially when he's being
bad, which is often.

Henry also came with his name from his previous owner but I like it,
too.

Candace

Old September 15th 05, 01:03 AM
Topaz

"Chuck" wrote in message

Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
I have tried giving more canned, only to
give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
cow-pie poops. Is something else going
on, as a reason for this?

Chuck, I have had cats that got diarrhea from canned food, but
my current cat does not. I never figured out why my other cats
could not handle canned food, as they were in perfect health
other than the diarrhea. My vet could not explain or solve it,
he said to just give them "what agrees with them." Sorry
I cannot be of more help.

Old September 15th 05, 01:55 AM
Chuck

Topaz wrote in message ...

"Chuck" wrote in message

Knowing that dry cat-food has more fat,
I have tried giving more canned, only to
give some of my pack diarrhea-- or, at least
cow-pie poops. Is something else going
on, as a reason for this?

Chuck, I have had cats that got diarrhea from canned food, but
my current cat does not. I never figured out why my other cats
could not handle canned food, as they were in perfect health
other than the diarrhea. My vet could not explain or solve it,
he said to just give them "what agrees with them." Sorry
I cannot be of more help.

Hi Topaz,

That's pretty much what I get from the vet
here as well...

I suppose as long as this does not negatively
effect the cat's health, there should be nothing
wrong in letting them have their 'treats'

Thanks for the input...

Chuck

Old September 16th 05, 02:46 AM
Candace

Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

I like your name, it's makes my willy stand up and take notice.

We've already established that. It's old news. Tell me something I
don't know...

Candace

Old September 16th 05, 07:19 PM
Candace

Lamey - The cable guy wrote:

I had a flat tire on the way to work today.

sends roses to Candace

Awwwww, they're red...for passion.

Candace

Old September 16th 05, 07:51 PM